PP Rectocele and moving on

Body: 

Hi,

I am five months pp and I have a rectocele and so far only one episode of fecal incontinence. Fingers crossed! I initially notice the bulge at 8 weeks pp. My OB/GYN didn't seem too concerned about it. He advised kegals and core exercises. Twelve weeks pp it improved to the point where it didn't bother me. Four months pp I had my FI episode in my pants and noticed the bulge was back. Felt extremely embarrased. I called my doc and he wrote me a script for physical therapy for six weeks. I thought it was odd that he didn't want to examine me first? I decided to see a urogynocologist who specialized in pelvic floor prolapse for a second opinion.

The urogyno said I had a pretty good size rectocele and a slight cystocele. She said the top and bottom part on the back wall of my vagina are missing. She recommened PT for twelve weeks first to see if it helped or do surgery if no improvements. She said if I decided to do surgery I would have to do a C-section for future deliveries. I don't want surgery at all if I could help it, let alone two!

I went back to my ob/gyn for my yearly pap and told him about my second opinion. He was not very happy and advised to not let anyone operate on me. He said this bulge is the new me and it's from delivery. He also told me the doctor I saw was a "business woman" and the PT place she sent me to is also just a place to make money.

This was my first child. I delivered vaginally and pushed for about an hour. (I feel blessed and for those who pushed for hours/days you deserve a medal!) I remember when I delivered my son the doc made the comment that I was pushing hard. Quite frankly, I had an epidural and did not even feel my son come out of me. So I was pushing "blind." I did have ab episiotomy but other than that delivery went very well.

I have so many concerns and confusion. I do want another child but is it work risking the rectocele to get worse? I'm also constipated at times and working hard at changing my diet. I started PT before I saw my ob. I did get that vibe that the place was more like a spa. The PTs are also not very compassionate. I guess I am not sure who to trust as far as docs right now. I am also a police officer so 30+ lbs of extra weight on the pelvis probably doesnt help. I just want to move on with my life and workout hard and not have to worry about rectal issues. I'm 29 y/o and I just to feel normal again. Am I being impatient?

Dear ashbash13,
congratulations on your new baby and welcome to WW - you are in the right place!

The great news is that many women have more children with prolapse, like me and the pops just get out of the way.

Go back to the home page and find Christine's videos and watch them, if you haven't already.

To get started, adopt the fundamentals of this work - WW posture and belly breathing.

Give yourself time to recover from the birth of your baby, it can take 2 yrs.

Tight clothes / belts / equipment that press on the abdomen don't help.

A call to Christine for your particular issues regarding police uniform and heavy equipment would be the best way to get the best advice.

Managing diet and constipation with rectocele is a process, however it is one of my priorities, so I do allow as much time as I need before going out like in the morning to drink water, eat and go to the loo.

Hope this allays some of your concerns and helps you to move forward,

Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

Hi ashbash

Yes with a bit of patience you will get better, but patience isn't the only thing you'll need. You'll have to learn to understand your body in a new way, specifically your pelvic organs, and learn how to move and carry yourself in a way that will support and strengthen your pelvic organs system. I'm pretty sure birth wasn't the cause of your prolapse but was just the catalyst in an event that has been in the making for years. I've gone on to have another kid after prolapse and, with my wholewoman knowledge and awareness, am better off than I was before prolapse. Lots of info to get you started right here on this forum. Good luck.

Just a quick hello. I too have cystocele and rectocele since the birth of my second baby. Epidural, episiotomy, forceps. Arg! I don't have much time to write but just wanted to say that you are in the right place. There's so much to learn so get reading on the forum and try to pull into posture. It's not complicated but takes commitment.
If ditch the kegels and get out doing some walks in posture if you can. My days are good and bad but this last week I've had two almost symptom free days - pretty exciting stuff at this point!

And I'd second the comments above - getting your diet and bms under control really is crucial at the moment. Having never had bowel issues in my life before this, it's taking a lot of trial and error with many adjustments along the way to get a balance and I'm still trying to get it right. In the beginning I made the mistake of overloading on bulky fibre and was making life difficult for myself.

I just joined the other day and ordered materials and consult for future reference on same day. I too deal with a rectocele. Just being new on Whole Woman I would say look up words in the search bar that deal with your issue. That is what I have been doing while waiting for my package. Any day now!! Anyway I found there is soooooo much on this site that already has explained much to me so far, tho I'm sure I'll have questions later! As for the diet I would say yes, it is sooo important what you eat. What works for one may not work for another. There is a difference in soluble and insoluble fiber. Some may need one not the other. I looked that up online. For me, I am trying red grapes in a nutribullet, makes a good juice! And a stool softener. But you may need something else. Don't give up hope tho! There IS a solution!! It is found here and through working it out with your body with WW. For me, surgery is NOT am option for any of my celes or bulges, and that is a personal choice. I don't have my material yet and already have learned so much. Don't give up! I was terrified and horrified at first, even to the point of tears. If you haven't ordered the materials yet please do, it's worth the investment in your body and scour this site, it has so much to offer. Good luck and welcome to WW.

Hi! I hope that you've made some positive progress managing your PP! I know its been a while since you started this thread, but I wondered if you had any luck making your uniform and heavy belt work for you. I have a similar uniform (wearing men's pants because the women's were awful), with belt carrying several items like radio, keychain etc. Did you make it comfortable somehow?