Questions about First Aid for prolapse DVD

Body: 

Hi

I have now watched the DVD several times over. It's great.
It will take me time though to fully understand.

Whilst I am, I was hoping for a shortcut answer. I want to be in Whole Woman posture a.m.a.p.
When I am lying on my back in bed, I usually need to be at a 45 degree angle. This makes the bad obtuse angle. Can I compensate by bring my knees up and having the soles of my feet close to my bottom. This makes a 90 degree angle I think.

Also, just a curious question, the little painting of the lady in the office on the dvd, no need to answer, but I was wondering who the artist was...very interesting, no need to answer though.

:)

Forum:

Prolapse-wise, it doesn't really matter much when you are lying down. Some women with back or hip issues are more comfortable in one position or another. But your prolapse doesn't care. It is when we are on our feet, under the forces of gravity, that prolapse is affected by how we stand, move and breathe. Not sure about the pic! I'll check it out. - Surviving

Thanks, once again for the info :-)

But that has me flummoxed. You see, I feel I have some subtle symptoms of something being out of place and have fortunately found the site before it becomes more prominent. But I do have a bearing down feeling and am very aware of the area, which isnt right.

But I still feel the pressure whilst lying down. It is worse at obtuse angles.
I can mostly tell just how much it has been bothering me when I gain relief and there is less pressure and swelling.

Thanks for looking at the art work in 'the office'.

If you have had a chance to view Christine's first aid for prolapse, you will see her lying down on the couch with just a pillow under her head. Don't throw a bunch of pillows under your shoulders, because that will create the angle of the body which is not good for prolapse.
When I feel particularly bulgy, a little lie down feels good. Also, jiggling and firebreathing helps to relieve some of that pressure. Also, just getting down on knees and forearms and breathing deeply into the lower belly feels really good.
These are all good things to do along with the posture work. I do a DVD just about everyday, as well as whole woman walking. Remember that the relieving feeling doesn't happen overnight. It took me months just to get some relief on some days with my prolapse, but then again I do have a more profound prolapse. I did like that I could actually get some relief on some of those days. They then stretched into longer days of symptom relief. It is a process where time plays the biggest factor in the outcome. The lesser the prolapse, the sooner relief will come. I also have a mild cystocele that don't even notice most of the time, but through this work I can allieviate those symptoms more readily.
Can you tell us what you are doing day to day, so we can maybe give you some more pointers.

An obtuse angle is one that is greater than 90 degrees. Those are the ones you want to avoid. You are better off with your body at an acute angle, which is anything less than 90 degrees. So 45 degrees is fine, if you can fold yourself up that much! This is for pinning the organs over the pubic bones when standing and moving; usually it doesn't make much difference when you are lying down. - Surviving

I forgot to ask. Is the 45 degree angle for acid reflux or gerd? If that is the case, then maybe someone will have an answer to that. But I can't think of anything right now. When you put the pillows under your knees do you feel any pressure or pulling in your lower belly?

When I first started I too had a better time with doing firebreathing on hands and knees. When I tried the standing version, everything would just slump right down at the opening right away. I had to build up to doing the standing firebreathing, and I can do both very easily now.

I was meaning my body is at a 135 degree angle when I prop my back up using pillows by 45 degrees. Its been creating a lot of pressure, when I am trying to rest. What does relieve it though is bringing my knees up closer to my chest. If my pillows behind me create a 45 degree angle and instead of keeping my legs flat (135 degree body angle), I pull my feet towards my bottom, this creates a 90 degree angle.

It is better still if i turn slightly to my side and sometimes helps in the foetal position.

I had some health issues. When I was lying flat, or with just a pillow, my tinnitus and sinusitis increased to an intolerable level. I would have difficulty breathing in that it would become very laboured and slow and on occassions would just stop and I would wake up with a big gasp and have to consciously breathe in air.

I found it to be much better if I was propped up in bed. But obviously this is creating pressure in my pelvic area.
I dont have acid reflux ageing gracefully and I cant think what gerd is?

I do feel tightness and pulling in my belly with a pillow under my knees and tension in my chest, but I get a lovwly relsxed feeling everywhere when I have my calves close to my thighs feet flat on bed and close to my bottom.

Gerd is gastric esophageal reflux disorder, a more advanced acid reflux in some people. My mom had to have her head raised way up for this. I can see that with your sinus and tinnitus that you would have to have your head raised, but here again is the problem if your are experiencing pressure on your prolapse. Maybe trying the lying on your side would be beneficial. You could also prop a pillow slightly under your hip to take some of the pressure off. I am kind of stumped on this one. Hope someone else comes along with more experience with this.
When I was working in hospice, I was the pillow queen, and I knew how to place pillows to keep people off pressure points, but I never dealt with prolapse as a pressure point. But, I do hope you can get some relief in experimenting.

Dear Allgood33 & other lovely ladies,
I have worked on lying flat with the lowest pillow. Even though I am a back sleeper mostly, it does take some getting used to & will use a scarf in winter as my neck becomes cold.
I did some reading recently about various conditions requiring people not to lie flat, and came to the conclusion that if I needed to I can elevate the bed at either end under the mattress so that I am still lying flat on the mattress. If you can find a way to stop mouth breathing if you do so that will be of great benefit.
Hope this is of some help - doing WW Yoga has alleviated my need to do elevate the bed.

Aussie Soul Sister

There has been discussion on propped up compared to lying more flat, and the consensus has always been that the propped on pillows version of lying down puts pressure on the prolapse forcing it back away from the lower belly into the vagina, so coming up with a better lying position for those with nasal, breathing, or acid reflux issues is really necessary.
I like the idea of the raised head of bed, but still lying flat. I was thinking about that, and trying to figures if it would still cause pulling or pressure on the prolapse. Still not sure.
In the hospice we had beds like that that just raised while remaining flat. The only problem though is that the patient would slide to the bottom of the bed, so we ended up having raise the bottom of the bed anyway.
Definitely something to ponder.

I think the main point here is that you are not doing anything much to affect your prolapse, either for better or worse, when you are lying down (it's a combination of gravity, posture and breathing when we are upright that does that). So if you are symptomatic when you are lying down, then all you need to worry about is getting comfortable. You won't be doing any harm, or any good either, by whatever sleeping position you choose for comfort. I am so used to prolapse that I don't even think about it when I'm lying down, but if I did think about it, I'd feel it.

If you are lying so propped up in bed that it's more like slouchy sitting, then I think there should be a concern about the lumbar curvature and measures should be taken to support the lower back by stuffing something behind it. - Surviving

I am very much concentrating on simply being aware of the WW posture, walking in it. When I cycle, trying to cycke in it.

I am having to spend a long time resting, so I am trying to maximise posture. When on my side, I put a pillow between my knees. I am researching bit by bit. I have purchased the dvd.

I have gone gluten free which has been a massive, massive help. I include anti-inflammatory foods such as non-dairy turmeric,cinnamon, black pepper milk which also detoxes and calms the nervous system. I have castor oil for my tummy and back and this is a rich treat.

I am going to sort my technical problems with sleeping out hopefully this week. I try to get as much sunshine as possible and grounding on Earth with bare feet.

I use magnesium spray and have epsom salt baths (relaxing and for the magnesium), I am trying to nourish the thyroid and adrenals by cutting out caffiene, sugar, chlorinated water, flouride, chemicals, and replenishong my vits and minerals with a variety of whole foods and fruits.

I have added in some joyful, childhood fun pursuits as my life had become one long list of chores and worry. I am doing a relaxation dvd.

There is a whole philosophy behind elevated beds, I believe and how they can benefit health.
I managed to get rid of my sinusitis for a while doing a detox. But it returned when I resumed normal meals. Olbas oil is helping greatly and lymphatic drainage.

Because I only ever breathe through my nose, when its blocked I struggle getting enough oxygen. I was 12 when I taught myself to breathe through my nose after a biology class.
If I can get better quality sleep, thats going to really help.

Yes, on not making things worse - I have a strong desire to clench and suck up from down below. Is this contraindicated or is it ok so long as I am in WW posture and belly is relaxed?

Will much appreciate any future further insight into lying positions for prolapse. Many Thanks.

Please do not "clench" anything. If you are tightening the muscles, then you can't really be in a relaxed posture; instead, you are pulling your organs into the vaginal space. Please read or reread what Christine has written on Kegels (go to the Blog and search them out).

I'm not clear on "sucking up from down below" but I'd give a big thumbs down to that! Relax, breathe deeply through your belly, and observe the posture elements. - Surviving

AllGood, it seems you are still looking for answers on lying down, and I don't think there's anything new to be said. Given the anatomy of prolapse, where the organs have fallen back more than down, it is not surprising that if you are lying on your back, especially with an elevated head, you will feel your symptoms to some degree (the only way most of us are truly symptom-free is on hands knees with the organs sitting in the belly). So the question becomes, does it matter? If you are concerned about worsening your prolapse by lying a certain way, you needn't be. What helps or hurts prolapse happens when we are upright. It is all about letting go of the fear of the bulge. If this fear of the bulge is keeping you awake nights, then I can only say that it will pass as you get further into this work and learn to give your body a bit more credit. Meanwhile, experiment with positions that are more comfortable. I am small-breasted and I could lie on my stomach, except that I'm not a stomach sleeper and I wouldn't stay that way for long. My normal position is on my side with knees pulled up in a kind of fetal position. This does indeed minimize prolapse symptoms because of the acute angle. But it really doesn't "help" prolapse in the long run. I have shoulder issues these days, and spend more time sleeping on my back so that my shoulders aren't crunched.

I understand that you have breathing issues, and you need to focus on that when you are resting, and stop worrying about prolapse symptoms. I was a little unnerved when you said you can't get enough oxygen when you are congested because you are only able to breathe through your nose. I can remember bad colds in my past (don't seem to get them these days) where I would have gotten ZERO oxygen if I couldn't mouth-breathe during the worst of it. Your body will take over and force you to open your mouth to breathe if you are asleep. Do you have sleep apnea? - Surviving

I have sleep apnea, and it really doesn't matter which way I lie down. I could be sitting in a chair and snort myself awake again. That is the problem with sleep apnea, you just stop breathing, and then snort yourself awake all night long, not really getting a restful sleep. I do remember though when I was using the CPAP machine, that when I had nasal congestion, it did help me to breath easier, but it is really used to keep you breathing regularly throughout the night.
My sleep apnea has diminished quite a bit since I have been making the positive changes the last couple of years, so I don't even use the machine anymore, and the hubby hasn't been nudging me either, so I think it has gotten better. At least I don't have that dragged down awful feeling in the mornings anymore.

Interesting AG, do you ever use those nasal strips at night? I don't have apnea but I developed a wicked snore going all the way back to my first pregnancy at 38. I know I was waking myself up, not to mention anyone else who was nearby! The strips help me with that. I don't use them consistently these days, but always have them handy. - Surviving

I did try those, but my problem with the sleep apnea was a bit more extensive. I would rather be snoring than not breathing at all, at least there is some air exchange there. Heavier people tend to have worse sleep apnea, so my losing some weight did also help with that.
Glad the strips worked for you though!

Allgood, here is the information on the painting that you see in Christine's office in the FAFP dvd.

It was painted and framed for Christine many years ago by her very talented daughter, Nikelle, whose skills are well documented throughout Christine's body of work (her art, her music, and her beautiful presence too!). The subject is an old wise woman - Native American in dress. - Surviving

Amazed. Really pleased. I am mostly symptim free which is a massive improvemet - i didnt know how bad it felt until it got better. I knew I was onto the right path when I found this - I rapidly started learning it even without the intellectal questioning - my body was like - Just DO it!!! lol

And I did.

Many Thanks.

That's what it is all about, Allgood!! Just doing it!! So glad you are seeing improvement!!

Hi AllGood33,
"The proof of WW is doing it!
Good work!
Wonderful news!
Aussie Soul Sister

With nothing to lose and everything to gain, we should all just throw ourselves into it like you did, Allgood. But so many women hold back, for one reason or another. Just Do It needs to be our motto here. Because you know what, folks? There isn't anything else. This is what works, the only thing. Women HAVE to go back to this posture they abandoned, years or decades ago. I don't have any confidence that the medical or fitness professions willl ever "get" this, much less help women do it. It is up to each of us to do it, and to help spread the word to the next generation of women. Thanks Allgood for a big dose of inspiration!! - Surviving

Love it! Thank you for doing the WW work and for taking the time to share your results with the rest of us!