Babywearing with a Rectocele

Body: 

First of all, thank goodness there is this community! I had been feeling so alone and in pain. At least there is hope although I don't fully understand the posture but it seems like keeping your shoulders in line while having a soft tummy to keep the lumbar curvature in your back?!

I have a rectocele after my first baby after having a 3rd degree tear. I also have a large pooched tummy which might be diastasis recti and gnarly hemorrhoids. Hooray childbirth!

I am wondering about baby wearing. My four month old is very colicky and would do better if I could carry her all day but need my hands. Right now I have a Moby, Ergo, and a sling. I can only get her in the Ergo, she hates the sling and I can't figure out the darn Moby even after watching how to videos. Has anyone found one that works better for keeping the pressure off the pelvic floor? Wearing their baby on their back or front? She needs to have her head up and likes to look around.

I have chronic SI joint pain and shoulder issues so I don't know if anything will ever be comfortable.

Thanks

Hi ayamama and welcome. When I had babies I used a front carrier that I loved. I'm not too up on what the choices are for moms these days, but I'm sure there are some great ones. I only wish that I had known and practiced WW posture back then. When you are carrying extra weight close to the body, and you are in really excellent WW posture, that extra weight-loading from above actually increases the positive effects of the posture, by helping to keep the vagina flat and closed off against the encroaching organs. So learn posture and then carry your baby however is most comfortable for both of you. i think that higher up on the chest would allow for more freedom to keep the belly soft and the organs forward. But some younger moms would probably know more about this. - Surviving

hi ayamama, I'm 58 and a long time since I was pregnant but learning the posture for me, was easier when I simplified it, shoulders allowed to fall naturally down, chest up, belly relaxed and imagine someone is pulling your head up from the middle of the back of your head, that is with chin slightly down , its explained better in the videos, I explain things poorly, but holding your head properly really helps, but I found it easy to remember to stand like a child, It sounds like you really have some painful issues, I hope you find some answers to help you with this,

Hello ayamama,

I'm in a similar situation, trying to figure out baby wearing after having it forbidden by the physio for my undiagnosed prolapse following baby no. 2. But baby won't be put down! With you on the pooched tummy and anal issues too. Rubbish, isn't it? But you're right, there's such comfort in solidarity, and this site is so helpful.

Disclaimer: I'm new to this, but it seems to me as Surviving said: the trick to posture is to find a sling that leaves the stomach unfettered, so wear baby high on the chest or back. It's tiring on the shoulders, and you mention you have issues there, so you'll need to experiment. Not sure where you are located, but here in UK we have sling 'libraries' run by childbirth associations that I think operate by post - could those be an option for you?

My 7 week old (about 5 kg) is very happy in the Closer Caboo sling (a structured fabric wrap with buckles) and I'm able to keep him high on my chest, which allows for the relaxed stomach part of the posture. The wrap means I can spread the load over all my shoulder.

With my last baby, as she got heavier, I transferred to front wearing with the Ergo - and we both loved that sling! Such a shame to retire it… I'm now trying to get hold of the old fashioned japanese type of sling, where the baby can go high on the chest when small, and high on the back (peeking over the shoulder) when bigger. They're very simply constructed, like a handkerchief with ribbons attached and I've seen a friend use one very successfully with her baby/toddler. I don't know how it'll work out without the hip support of the Ergo, but my theory is we can build the back and shoulder strength as baby grows, along with Christine's exercises. Fingers crossed!

Wishing you all the best with this work.

okay, gotta figure out these slings that keep eluding me. When I watch how to videos they don't show a baby that never stops moving and fusses when put in all carriers like my daughter, LOL.

Is there anywhere on the forums where I could look at the WW postures before forking over $ for the DVD's? I am trying to accept this is the new me but still really bummed about it sometimes.

Thank you ladies for all your help!

There are videos on the YouTube channel wholewomaninc, and also on the Resources page of this website. - Surviving