New here - where to start?

Body: 

I just found this site and am confident I finally found the right resource and community for me.

That said, I'm having trouble finding answers to my various questions, and understanding where/how to get started. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I am 7 mo postpartum and have stage 2-3 cystocele and rectocele. I am highly motivated to solve this, don't trust that most medical professionals know how to treat this, and am on board with posture being central to the solution.

More specifically...

What's the best book or video to start with? I hesitate to spend $150-$500 without knowing more about the content I'm buying. I'm feeling a little duped by the 30 min video I watched, which was basically a very long ad for a very expensive video series. I'm hungry for more info on treatment, ways to practice the posture and proper breathing, any exercises, etc. Is any of this info available here on the forum or website, at least to preview before I buy? Or can I start with one book or one video and go from there? Links to specific pages/content would be most helpful.

Also, should I bother investing time and money with a medical professionals who clearly don't know much about treating POP? The Urogynecologist nurse I saw (Dr can't see me for 6 weeks) gave me a pessary that I took out after 2 days because it hurt (it was coming out). She didn't clearly explain to me where/how it's supposed to sit when properly in place, nor am I confident I was properly "fitted". Plus, I have a ring pessary with a knob despite no incontinence. Nothing about the pessary makes sense to me given the anatomy of what's going wrong. The cystocele and rectocele just plop right into/through the ring anyway. Similarly, should I bother with really well intentioned physical therapists who aren't well educated in POP, although they seem willing to learn, and are likely focused on the right things (eg posture)? Or...should I spend the time any money here instead?

I'm feeling motivated and proactive, but fear that my strength is waining. It's scary to feel like my vagina is falling apart at 39 yo. Plus, I still want more kids and because of my age, can't wait too long to start trying again. I need to start moving in the right direction before I can feel comfortable getting pregnant again. At this point, things feel like they're just getting worse. I need more hope, more belief that I'm heading toward healing. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi newmom39 and welcome. Your instincts are right on.....the medical professionals do not have anything good to offer here. Damaging surgeries when you're done having kids; pessaries (bad idea especially with a rectocele), PT (which mainly focuses on kegel exercises, which are completely useless), or just not doing anything at all.

You start by reading the watching things on the site. The Resources tab has a video page; watch the first video for a good overview. You can also go to the YouTube channel, Wholewomaninc, for some helpful clips.

Cystocele/rectocele is the most common form of prolapse, and Christine calls it "nature's pessary" because the vaginal walls are well supported and keep the uterus/cervix in a pretty good spot. You will learn to hold the organs forward in the relaxed lower belly, away from the outlet.

I always suggest starting with the book and the basic DVD, First Aid for Prolapse. You can get things separately or in various bundles which are a great deal if you have a bit more up front in your budget. The important thing is to get started. You will feel better in every way when you start to incorporate these teachings into your life. Plenty to read and watch and learn while you are starting out and deciding what to do. Follow the forum! Glad you have found us. - Surviving

Thanks, surviving60. After some digging, I found the postpartum package that I intended to buy, but after creating an account in the store, I got an error message saying this package is not currently being shipped to my location (California).

Whole woman postpartum bundle: https://wholewoman.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&pr...

Is the store still active? Has anyone ordered the postpartum recently?

Just a glitch somwhere (pp bundle is brand new). Go to the Contacts tab above and get in touch with Lanny in customer service. - Surviving

Just wanted to say hello and welcome (although I know you'd rather not be here). I haven't a lot to say as I'm so new too, but thought some words from a newbie might help.
I'm just over 40 with 2 kids and stage 2 cystocele. I think it was starting after my first child a couple years ago but it finally popped after this second child. Oddly enough it took like 13 months to pop, but it did.
Anyway, I didn't know what to order at first and I went with the book and the dvd, bc, as like you, I wanted to get more of a feel of what this is about and whether I want to sink more money into it.
I just got my stuff today (yay!!!) and was just about to start devouring the book when I needed to op on here to see about something else on my mind....then I saw your post, wanted to give you a hug and say welcome, hang in there, it'll get better and there's awesome, awesome support on here.
I started the posture as best as I could right away with the help of this site and the lovely helpful ladies on here. I'm not kidding you one but, I felt better in a couple days. Seriously. I literally had to ready down and, yup, there "she" still was....but if I didn't feel myself, I wouldn't have known. THAT'S how much just altering my posture helped. I then had a couple days where I could feel it again a bit, but from what I read, that is pretty typical. And heck, I'm just new to this, so I'm expecting some not so great days.
Anyway, just wanted to let you know there's lots of support here! (((Hugs)))

hi all,

i just sent newmom39 an email, but i wanted to clarify that when i set up the bundle in our store, i neglected to add the shipping weight so on checkout, the system said it couldn't be shipped. i've corrected this oversight and the bundle will show accurate shipping costs now. thanks newmom for raising the issue!

lanny (christine's DH)

thanks, lanny! no worries. glad it's fixed!

Thanks for the note newmamaj. It made my day. Which DVD did you buy? Let me know if you'd recommed it?

Also, have you tried anything else that's helpful? Or anything that you'd say "just skip it?" For example, did you ever try a pessary? I'm pretty sure I'll never put that thing in again, but thought I'd ask.

Are you thinking of more children? What do you know about pregnancy and childbirth after "she pops" (heh heh)?

I have been doing the posture, or at least trying based on the info available on youtube, etc, and agree - I could feel the difference really quickly. Unfortunately I just carried some heavy Amazon.com boxes of diapers and wipes up the stairs and think I undid my progress of the past few days, but at least I have more hope, and that's huge. Thanks for the hugs. Hugs to you too. Warmly, newmom39

Hi Nm39!
I got the Saving...book and first air for p dvd. Just started reading and watching. So far I'm impressed with the DVD. Not knocking the book, I just haven't gotten into it too much yet.
I would highly rec this DVD. Much more thorough explanation as well as visuals of the posture. As you'll see in another post I'm putting up, I'm torn whether to stay the exercises as I have diastasis recti (grrrr).
Never tried a pessary and frankly, I have such difficulty with internal stuff that I pray I never need one! :)
Not sure what you're asking about the post pg and childbirth q...I'm pretty much an open book so I'm happy to answer, just didn't get the q :)
No more little ones for me :'( I SOOO wisH at times though. My husband and I really wanted two kids and got lucky with a boy and girl. I think the wishing part of me is just doing it bc I know my little guy is the last, and we all know how awesome babies/toddlers are!! I think it's just me being sad that this will be the last time I'll have it. Makes me grateful mind you :) I'm also getting mentally ready to get back to my career. Not yet, but in a couple years when my son goes to school.

As far as me doing anyhin else...I am working w a physio who is a family member to help me w the diastasis of my abs, but he doesn't know about the cystocele so I'm not sure how far I'll go with him.

Anyway, gotta run as I need to post this other q. I so wish they had a way to personally message members like other forums have. It would take away so much of the 'clutter' on the site (of us members just chit chatting back and forth vs answering substantive questions. But I am so blessed to have found this site as I have no friends in my position (well, it's not like I've specially ASKED, but poking around nobody has said anything).
I'm sorry to hear about the lifting.... :( that is one thing physio is helping with too - the bending and lifting stuff. I stick to ww posture when I do it and so far (fx) I've been ok.
Ttys!