Jumping exercise portion - Goddess Belly program

Body: 

I really like the Goddess Belly workout. However I have found that with the second set of jumping exercises, I feel uncomfortable - like my prolapse is shifting. Has anyone else experienced that?

Forum:

That's the thing with the jumping. You really have to be In strong whole woman posture to be able to do that jumping. It may be something you will just have to work up to. That was never something I would have considered doing when I first started this work. After quite some time, Christine had come on the forum and was talking about the benefit of jumping. Even then, I thought, no way! Lol! But, watching her do it, I tried a few times. At first, it was kind of scary, but like anything else, I just kept trying it from time to time. I can actually jump now and it feels like my organs are slamming Into the lower belly like they should, but I worked up to that.
My only problem now is to keep my big boobs from bouncing so much! Lol!

Absolutely true, what AG says. I wasn't even interested in trying jumping for a long time. When I did, I was quite amazed. Not for newbies, but when you have the posture nailed, definitely worth trying. Jump gently on your toes, in very excellent WW posture. I have some toe-separator socks that I got in my WW conference goodie bag, which I love for jumping. - Surviving

I forgot what the toe separator socks are good for. I know you mentioned it before, surviving.
Just wonder if I should invest in them.

They look like this:
http://www.amazon.com/FOOT-ALIGNMENT-SOCKS-L-XL/dp/B002XNM79Y/ref=sr_1_1...

I've been working to keep bunions from happening - they are comfy and I can even wear them around with a pair of rubber flip-flops. - Surviving

That's right, I remember now. I don't have bunions yet. Knock on wood! But, I think I will check out those socks. That's the one thing you hear about as people get older. Would be good to find ways to prevent them.

Dear all,
When doing the hips DVD and working on the arches of the feet, Christine recommends stretching the muscles at the back of each leg & thigh,alternating with one leg extended to the back, with the foot of that leg flat on the floor,and the other leg in front with the knee bent.
Recently a friend was doing a lot of walking and had pain in the soles of their feet and worked out that doing the stretch to the back of the legs really helped.
I rarely have any stiffness in the back of my legs now compared to when I started with the exercises. I still do the stretches though!
Developing the arches of the feet is so important for the whole body, balance, support and just walking through life - so grounding and connecting!
I have said here before that I love my Whole Woman feet!
Much love from
Aussie Soul Sister

Hi Aussie Soul Sister,
Thanks so much for this reminder. I actually had plantar fasciitis when I was working in the hospice. All that running up and down the halls agrivated it so much, I ended up walking on my toes on the one foot. I was even fitted for and wore special $300.00 arch supports. I went to a podiatrist who worked on my arch supports adjusting them, and doing therapy on my heel, but it didn't really go away completely until I quit that job.
Wish I would have known then about Christines work and her special focus on these kinds of stretches.

I feel for you with all that pain and having to keep on going.
I bought ortho- heel arch support inserts years ago and until I learned the WW foot approach,had them in my shoes.
I am fine now without them. When I did have them, I used to walk a lot and my feet ached a lot at night, but nothing like the pain you would have had.
They ache rarely now and the WW baton foot massage is great for relieving this - good that it has a double use...

From what Christine has discussed, & I have gleaned in general, bunions can have an heredity component, along with ill fitting shoes, and often appear in the right foot because of constant flex-ion when driving.
My mum and I have one on our right foot, thought with WWP and exercises it is not getting worse.
I would like to straighten my little toe though as it curls inward a bit.
The rest of my toes are straight but would like more of a gap between my little toes, and my big and first toes.
Plan to get the toe separator sox soon and explore shoes with a wider toe box - the ones I have have a wide one but could be wider, now that my feet are more "Whole - Womanly!"
The WW baton is great for massaging my feet when I have discomfort on some occasions, though I rarely have discomfort now.
Lastly the stretch is such a wonderfully easy remedy to master and so effective!
Wishing you all the best,
Aussie Soul Sister

Soul Sis, I have a pair of Clarks leather mary-jane flat shoes that I keep in my desk at work, and they are the ONLY things I wear there. They weren't cheap but they still look great after several years of indoor wear, and I'm amazed how much they have helped my feet. The toe box is wide enough that I can wear at least 2 of those little gel toe spacers on each foot. I can't separate all the toes that way, but I also use bits of cotton ball. i don't even do this every day; don't seem to need to anymore. Christine's footwork, getting up on toes, minimal or no shoes as much as possible, and just not cramming my toes EVER, has helped so much. - Surviving

i got the socks after s60 put the link, I love them, need to keep remembering to Put them on more and safety held I love my minimal vivo shoes, can hardly wear anything else how! Try sports direct have some deals on there..they don't look amazing but they feel it. Mine have wore really well as I have them on every day.

I had to look up those Vivo shoes, because I never heard of them before. They really look amazing, and for so many different activities too. Another item to put on the wish list: toes socks, vivo shoes......

Hi Christine,
How are you? as for me I'm doing wonderful after my scare of a heart attack and open Heart Surgery a day and a half later, it's nearly a year since that incident.

It made me kinda think a lot of what happened when I was in recovery, and the Nurses, and Nurses Aides saw my Prolaspe, one Nurses Aide in particular came in to help me to the restroom, when he puilled back the covers and saw my prolapse he actually excused himself and bolted out of my room to get another nurses aide to help me because he was that afraid, he had never seen anything like that before, after he composed himself and came back to apologize to me for the way he acted, I explained to him what I had and what causes a woman's organs to prolapse.

The other thing that was very troubling was, because I had no control over it going back up inside of me, it got very dry and of course when that happens it bled a lot, the doctors prescribed all kinds of different ointments, and creams and of course nothing helped until I insisted and asked my daughter to bring me my coconut oil that I use on myself at home after a couple of application of coconut oil the bleeding stopped.

There was a time in my recovery when I couldn't, and was not allowed to reach back or raise my hands over my head for six months, because if I did it could have caused my incision to open up, in putting me back together, the surgeon wrapped my ribs with stainless steel bands, and glued my flesh back, it left me in a very precarious situation, and I was depended on my love ones to help me with everything.

Well after all of that my question is by doing all of what you say we should do while we are able to help ourselves what are we to do if we are ever in a situation where we can't help ourselves and have to depend on someone else to do it for us, and they won't listen or do as we ask of them, then What?????

This makes me think if having surgery would be something that we should maybe consider??? because as you well know when all of our organs prolapse we have to do other things than the normal ways to urinate, and or have a bowel movement.

I don't mean to go against all of your teachings which by all means is the way to go, but this is my thoughts since I had to really depend on other people to help me when I wasn't able to help myself.
Aloha and Mahalo, for your help.
Heavenlyflower

In the hips dvd, Christine does mention plantar fasciitis. She focuses on how everything works together from feet to hips, and has many exercises where she goes up and down on toes really working on the arches of the foot, as well as upper body, etc.
All of her dvds do focus on working all the parts of the body together, as we go up on toe and back down, walking on toe, and even the pointing and flexing she has us doing.
The hips dvd does seem to be more concentrated though.
Hope that helps some.

I just wanted to add that I don't know what her recommendation would be for someone like your sister who has severe plantar fasciitis. Maybe she will come on, or someone more knowledgable would know. Like I said, I went to a podiatrist for mine, and that was years ago.
I don't have any pain in my heel anymore, and I think a lot of that is attributed to doing this work.

I know that you were directing your comments to Christine, but I wanted to say a few things, because she doesn't come onto the forum on a regular basis and I am concerned about you.

I know that you have a profound uterine prolapse and I have read some previous posts where even Christine expresses concerns that we don't ever hear you tak about posture. Understandably it's been hard for you to do the exercises while you are in recovery from open heart surgery. But is there anything preventing you from going about your business in Whole Woman posture, or taking a nice long posture walk?

Generally speaking, prolapse surgery is only a last resort for some very extreme cases where previous surgical procedures may have compromised and damaged the pelvic organ support system beyond its ability to stabilize itself. In your post you seem to express the belief that surgery may be considered a solution to the problem of being temporarily laid up and needing help with daily activities. Is there a reason why you are feeling this way? Have things gotten drastically worse since the open heart surgery/recovery? How is your posture?

The posture correction the cornerstone of the WW work. We work towards making it an automatic part of our lives, so that in times when we need to be focussed on other things, we don't have to put the WW work on hold. The posture IS the work.

So my question is, how is your WW posture? - Surviving

Dear Safely Held - I am so sorry to read that your sister is in terrible pain, however with slow patient consistent work (a phone consult with Christine may help with her particular individual issues) - I believe improvement is possible over time -and so helpful for quality of life.

The difference with the Hips DVD and the other DVDs is the following.
Most of Christine's exercises on all her DVDs are TRANSFERABLE between standing, sitting on a chair and sitting and lying on the yoga mat. The Hips DVD uses props for support.

The standing foot exercises are done with the SUPPORT of holding onto a rail/ ballet bar or a sturdy high backed chair. Very helpful to develop better balance safely, slowly and so encouraging to have that support.

Some of the foot exercises are done on the floor mat while lying down on stomach and back, which can be more supportive and full human extension with the baton is used while pointing and flexing feet.

The chair exercises are amazing for upper body strength and easier to do because of sitting, however they are still powerful in their strengthening and great exercises.

Hope this helps,

Much love,
Aussie Soul Sister

So glad you came on to add that detail, Aussei Soul Sister. You do seem to be our resident hips expert on here. I was actually hoping you'd show back up!!
I really should spend more time on the hips DVD. It really does have some fabulous movements in it.

yes I would really recommend vivo shoes, don't look the prettiest and I got mine and my mum has some off sport direct. They have offers and things but along with my socks that s60 recommended I couldn't be without them! If I wear other shoes I can really tell. I am saving for goddess belly next, we all have goals.

lifegoeson04 or anyone, I pulled out my vibrum shoes today but when I looked at them, I remembered why I stopped wearing them. I have the beginnings of bunions on both feet but worse on the right. On my right my toe slope up off the ground slightly (beginning of hammer toes?). Here's my question. When looking at my vibrum shoes before I put them on, they are sloped like a boat, arches down with toes and heels up. When I try to bend them at the arch to bring the toes down and heel down they are stiff. I felt this when I was wearing them years ago too, that they were preventing me, even though my toes were separated, from gripping and/or using my toes. Any thoughts on that? The separation of my toes while wearing them and especially after I take them off feels freeing but my concern was about function while walking. Perhaps I just need to break them in more?

Sierra, I have never tried on a pair of these, or even seen them close up, but I am surprised they are so stiff. I do know that minimalist shoe recommendations caution us against "toe spring" (I think that's the term) or wearing shoes that bring the toes up, as you describe. But I suspect you are right, they might just need more breaking in, and might be perfectly fine and flexible once you are walking around in them. I'd be interested to know of your findings. I've considered trying them but I don't think I'd be allowed to "try before buying" to the extent that I'd consider really necessary, so I've been hesitant. - Surviving

S60, I will let you know. They would be better than barefoot on the hot pavement, I think. Guess that's what I'm trying to figure out. Would they be better or worse than my wide, room to move tennis shoes? We'll see.

Also, I never saw your response about the brand of alignment socks. Was their a reason for that particular brand? The shipping says it will arrive between April 3rd and 28th. I was going to try our local "Foot Store" to pick up some today instead. What qualities should I look for that would be best? I figured that y'all must have discussed this at the conference last year. PS Did you see my link where they come in all colors including black? Wasn't that you that wanted black?

Yes, I did respond here:
https://www.wholewoman.com/forum/comment/49711#comment-49711

And no, there was no particular reason for that brand. - Surviving

Sierra, since you have a pair of tennis shoes with lots of toe room, assuming they are reasonably comfortable without socks, you could try some of those little gel toe spacers (I have a set, I usually use 3 per foot). That might be a good solution for walking. - Surviving

Sierra, the link you posted didn't take me to the sox, just to an Amazon page. The ones I have look the same as the ones on my link, but I don't know where they came from or what brand. They came in Christine's goodie bags at the conference. I have a feeling there are only a limited number of photos that Amazon uses to show the same product that might be sold by different merchants, so if you are buying some, just get the best combo of price and fast shipping that you can. - Surviving

Sierra, I tried your link again and it worked if I highlighted the whole link and copied and pasted (for some reason only the first part was "clickable"). Yes, those look the same and come in lots colors, nice! - Surviving

S60, Yes, I meant to tell you to cut and paste. I tested it before I posted. Hope that you find some. I have the gel toe separators but find that as soon as my feet sweat, which they do within 5 minutes, the separators slide out. The big one for the big toe stays in place the is the best and I wear it everyday. I have for years but I am only maintaining the condition of them and have had no improvement. Thanks for all of the suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!

SH - I will check out the ones that you got and see how they are different. I don't know what version mine are because I bought them years ago. They do sound a lot like your description. Maybe I'll try S60's idea but use my toe socks with the big toe gel separator in my tennis shoes and see if that's at least an improvement. The chiro said that he would custom make a gel type insert separate my toes and to support (gel) under my big, 2nd and 3rd toe pad to get my toes back down so that they can move more naturally. If my insurance covers it I may try that too. I will know when I get them in if they are going to give me mobility and you know what, If they don't, I'll tell him. I love this new take charge. WWW sure can be empowering!

Glad you reminded me about that link, Sierra. I just now ordered myself 3 pairs in color!! - Surviving

The whole reason I started on this thread is that I don't feel comfortable doing any of the jumping and too much of the stuff on toes because my toes are so locked up. I know that there must be a fine line between moving them enough to get them unlocked but not doing TOO much with them in this state? I'm trying the baby steps with them: toe separators, barefoot walking, vibrums, toes socks… Am I missing anything?

As for the hard, blue (gel looking) yogi toe things, by the time I get still at night, I'm exhausted and falling asleep and my feet are cold so the yogi toes don't keep my feet warm AND I wake up and have to pull them off. I never can find a time where I'm sitting and not getting up to go do something. I don't like that you can't walk in those. Walking has been great for WW posture for me so I don't like that limitation.

Yes, now that you mention it, I only wear those with my office shoes and they are held in place by knee-high hosiery. About mid-way through the day, I usually get tired of how they feel and remove them. - Surviving

I too tried those hard blue things you stick your toes in, hate them! They really have no practical application.....I can only wear them when I'm lying down. - Surviving

S60, EXACTLY!

SH, I too do not like fiddling with mine. I break a sweat and start my day grumpy just from the irritation of the whole ordeal. Yes, it feels like an ordeal to me to get them on. I have a pair of wide water shoes but those rub whem my feet sweat, so gel separators won't work. Hadn't though of the using the toe socks with them, but wow, that makes me laugh to think how that would look walking around the neighborhood Haha! That would have to be for indoors only yet if I'm indoors, I might as well be barefoot or just socks.

Handy for polishing toenails, maybe! (Yoga toes that is.)

s60, Right, they should go into my pedicure bin!

I have noticed those on line, SH, and then kind of forgot about them. Think I'll get me some of those too. - Surviving

So yoga socks have grippes but the ones that s60 likes don't? I guess i would want both, grippes for hard wood floors and tile at home and non grippes to wear inside of whatever shoe that I decide on. I'll head to the "Foot Store" and figure it out. Thanks for the discussion ladies!

So what about my instincts on NOT jumping and minimizing the toes stuff until I can get them in alignment. My foot and actually my whole leg is falling asleep in 2 of the WW sitting postures. The legs straight out front one is the hardest for me and I only last a few minutes in that one. I am upright in WW posture in my chair right now just for the break.

The sox I've been using have much more padding and separation between the toes. The yoga sox with grippers are more like mittens with the ends cut off so the fingertips are exposed. - Surviving

Sierra - I just wanted to mention that the sox I ordered yesterday directly from your link, are shipping out today (standard shipping). I don't know where you live but I recall you were concerned about transit time. I'm in the northeast US. I think those estimates on Amazon are always WAY conservative.... - Surviving

S60, Thank you. I'm going to order them now. I was surprised to find out that "the Foot Store" which specializes in corrective footwear, and inserts...didn't have anything that resembled alignment socks…geez. For now I am using my daughter's pink toes socks with the big toe gel spacer on the outside. I have to use my toes to keep the gel spacer from slipping out. It makes me me giggle to see my foot contraption but it sure feels good. To think that the white and black alignment socks will be a fashion "improvement" is kind of funny too.

sorry I didn't go on this for awhile, I've been reading but didn't go on my account. I've not worn vibrahm but I always thought they were meant to be pretty flat, not positive heal Sierra...maybe stiff not sure. Will find the link to the ones I wear. I've just remembered now that I sent the vivos back because I couldn't get the sizes right so ended up buying Merrell Pace Glove 2 Women's Running Shoes, but they are merrells minimalist shoes so from what I can tell the heal is not positive, that is hard to find and he best option I could find at the moment, seriously since wearing them I struggle to wear other shoes, even flip flops or slip on shoes because I curl my toes to keep them on I can feel it instantly and struggle to walk freely...do want to get vivo walking boots soon, safety held, how are yi finding yours now? I know I find it annoying not just being able to slip my shoes on, but any that I find easy to sleep on I don't find great for walking anywhere! Just have some for going to the bins etc..hope it helps, sorry for delay

i dont wear separators inside my shoes, just wear the socks that s60 mentioned when in the house or barefoot and then my shoes if I go out. Vain I know but i tried to buy shoes that looked ok so I could wear them all the time to things with the children

Here in the Northeast, the temps are starting to come up, but it is still a bit too depressingly messy underfoot to do really quality walking; and I'm just not in a treadmill frame of mind either. What I am REALLY enjoying right now is lots of gentle jumping on toes, and running in place on toes. I do this on a carpeted surface in really really excellent posture wearing toe separator sox. In correct posture this really does "throw" the organs forward into the belly. Christine demonstrates this jumping with separator sox in DPF, along with the caveat that it is important to keep the toes apart, and not to do this if you have bad feet/toes. I find the running in place on toes is a nice transition up to the jumping; it feels gentler and still gives you the aerobic benefit as well. Hurry up and get here, Spring! - Surviving

PS: Alternate the running with a minute or two of firebreathing and......wait, where did those bulges go?

I found this at The Foot Store and it's working. It's by Correct Toes and it's $65.00. I'm wearing it barefoot and I can wear it in my boots, tennis shoes… I can even do the FAFP DVD in them. Problem solved. I'll wear the socks that I've ordered like S60 to sleep in and around the house but I LOVE these things. No more vibrams or big toe separators that slide around inside my sweaty shoes. They can probably be returned if you don't like them but I'm loving them. www.correctToes.com. They're like the yogi toes separators but made for function and flexibility. Very Cool!

Christine sent me a link for those once. I think she may have some. I've gotten most of my good information on minimalist shoes from their site (not the Foot Store; I think it's Naturalfootgear or something). I haven't ordered a pair because I fell between sizes and wasn't sure what to do, then found other solutions that were acceptable for different situations. Let us know how you like them. - Surviving

So far they're great! I can point my toes without getting those electric shock type pains and my tingling on the tops of my feet is subsiding. They seem to have my foot/toe joints set perfectly in place….will keep you posted. They're just so convenient and are very subtle looking, I've been wearing them around the yard all day and visiting with neighbors and no one has even noticed. I'm sure that the socks would not pass that test LOL!