Postpartum the Musical

Body: 

This rather tickled my fancy. What do you think? http://www.upworthy.com/nobody-warned-her-about-her-post-baby-body-so-sh...

Hilarious. I especially cracked up at the smiling face of the doctor telling her the great news that it was OK to have sex! (Yay.....)

Nice to see you Louise, hope you have been well. You have been missed on the forums, but quoted and referenced almost daily. - Surviving

Hi Louise! :) So great to hear your 'voice' this morning!! :)
What a riot this posting was! It is high time we look at/ discuss the other truths of childbirth because let's face it- even if all goes smoothly- the whole pregnancy/childbirth experience on a woman's body carries such 'weight' (can't think of a better way to describe this) that 2 full years of healing/recovery should be expected. It's not that this should be scary, but rather honored.

I've always hated the whole celebrity 'post baby body' unveiling of sorts- and it's only getting worse in my opinion. Women getting back into their skinny jeans ONE WEEK pp is being lauded. And don't get me started on the whole 'waist training' trend. What a disaster!! Women cinching themselves into these girdles immediately after having a baby in order to attain their pregnancy waist as quickly as possible....heartbreaking. sigh.

Sh- I agree- I believe the vast majority of prolapse could be either prevented entirely or put off for many more decades had we all known how to carry our bodies. My deliveries were uncomplicated and I had small babies. I believe that my body was more than capable of accomplishing that without prolapse- had I only spent the prior decades carrying myself in WW posture. I think we need to do a musical production that covers the prologue! ;) -gr8fl

Yeah, while I applaud the fact that the changes in a woman's body need to be accepted, it saddens me that so many young women seem to be terrified of the thought of a pp body, and of their body being so different after pregnancy and birth. It is a no brainer to me that the body changes after this wondrous feat of growing a baby inside our bodies, then birthing it through what seems to be a small hole. To deny it, by reading the celebrity crap that is published about instant return to pre-pregnant state, is simply folly and deception, and it serves nobody.

The musical seems to promote the idea that all women's bodies are damaged, rather than changed, by childbirth. This is perpetuating an equally false story. It is the Fear thing at work again. Hidden are the stories of countless women who look back on their births as life-changing, transformative experiences, some orgasmic, some merely peak life experiences full of joy and rapture, and whose bodies take due time to return to full function, and that is fine. Prolapse can be a small price to pay for all the joy and richness of a good, vaginal birth.

As long as we realise that the musical is just a musical I think it is probably entertaining, funny and thought-provoking. To pretend that it is a serious childbirth education production is simple naivety. It would be equally funny to see the sequel, which I suggest would be about a celebrity woman's fourteen day challenge to get back into her skinny jeans for a pp photoshoot, and the outcome!

Too True Louise, - your above post is brilliant.....,

Aussie Soul Sister

SH,
That is awesome you had those birth experiences. You mentioned a while back about not being confident about your body but wow sounds like you are pretty confident and capable to me.

Purple pansy pin for you :o)

Sorry SH that is not meant to sound patronizing about the confidence bit - I just wanted to do a big warm fuzzy message. Opps that is me and my proof reading again.

You all do realize that there is no "musical" right? The whole thing is an advertisement for post-partum goodie boxes. - Surviving

S60 ;) Just thought the idea of a musical was comical.

I do agree that there is a very real lack of acceptance of a truly changed pp body. I certainly had that and I know for me it's been a huge contributor to the emotional pain I experienced with my prolapse. But Louise is correct and I remind myself of this often- If prolapse was the 'price' I had to pay for my children, I consider myself blessed to pay it. Bringing them into the world will be the greatest thing I do in this life.

What I still wish I'd had growing up was the wisdom Christine has shared with us- the true understanding of how to take care of our bodies. But I'm grateful to have found WW and am so happy for my children that I'll be able to pass this information on to them. :)