bikes at the gym

Body: 

hi everyone:

so i have been using the upright bike at the gym about 5 days a week for 45 minutes at a time. i figured the upright bike would be great as i could really hold the posture. however, these past few days i've noticed a real increase in pelvic pressure and rectal discomfort.

i saw my pt yesterday and i was telling her about it. she asked me which bike i used and when i told her, she said the recumbent would be better as there would be less pressure on my pelvis.

huh.

doesn't make sense to me in context of this work.

can anyone weigh in here with their thoughts? possibly just the seat on the bike is too hard and i should use a towel underneath? don't know. but i have been really uncomfortable lately though need my exercise for mental well being. it's critical to me.

thanks for any thoughts with this.

susan

hey susan- I am totally uncomfortable on a bike. Hurts my butt big time. I love the eliptical machine. I am able to hold the posture very well while running about 4 miles in 30 minutes or so. almost everything I've read here discourages the recumbent bike- If you love the bike you could try to make it work by modifying the seat- tilting and padding- maybe lifting off the seat every few minutes. but if you can give it up for an eliptical machine I think it wouldn't cause as much discomfort.B

thanks for the response on this. i think i'll be trying the elliptical tomorrow. that looks like it will offer me a nice, sweaty workout which is just what i love. makes me feel fantastic.

the recumbent bike just doesn't make sense to me, posturally speaking. it's amazing to me the information the pt has -- or doesn't have, i should say. i know she has things to offer me but, yeesch! i live in the new york city area and you'd think i'd be able to locate a pt here whose work really mirrors christine's more...just makes sense.

s

Susan,

You might want to try a gel seat or a "female" seat. The gel seats are quite squishy and the "female" seat has a cut out opening. FYI there are also seat designed for men. If you go to most any bike shop you should be able to find several versions of both seats. They may even be able to tell you if there is one compatible with the bikes at your local gym if you have the make and model of the stationary bike that you are using. Since having kids I replaced my gel seat with a female seat and find it much more comfortable. Also give any new seat a break in period to let your bottom get used to the seat. You can also try to tilt the angle of the seat and make sure your seat is high enough. Again the folks at the bike shop can help you with positioning if you tell them where you are uncomfortable.

Good Luck!