Posture question

Body: 

Here's what I keep wondering....does the posture actually make the prolapse better all the time or only when in the posture? I just keep thinking that sure, I'll do the posture because when I'm in it, I usually can't feel my prolapse as much, but does that mean if I slack off, things will fall back down? I guess I just keep having this fear that if I move the wrong way, push too much, laugh too much, etc., that I'll make things worse, like everything is just about to fall out and one wrong move will be all it takes. I know I'm probably worrying too much, but I just need some guidance. Also, how long did it take you all to get to the point where you didn't have to remind yourself to be in posture? I'm pretty good about it, although I still wonder if I've got it right (the neck part keeps getting me confused), but it still kinda aches when I'm in posture and it's still a very conscious thought. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just on a side note, I have to say that I really appreciate the support and kindness on this forum. I don't post as often as some, but I read all the posts and I'm really impressed with all you ladies. What love and concern is shown!

Cessie

That is a really good question!

I have found myself fall out of it at times - And it doesn't immediately feel like everything falls lol - I think the posture helps lift - then if you went back to normal it might take a couple of days (depending what you are doing) for things to feel kinda lower again :)

I think that it is gonna take l a lifetime for me to 100% always be in posture lol - So maybe we remind ourselves like we would to not eat everything in the fridge cos it will make us ill - lmao - OK thats a bad analogy cos I would never eat everything in my fridge - rofl

I think - Things differ every day - If I lift something heavy - Like I did last Saturday - Then a couple of days later I can feel its different - So - I give myself a dressing down for moving those bags of heavyyyyy kitty litter - And then I begind again work to rectify what I just did to myself... Then things could seem ok for a few months and I am one of those people who are so stubborn I will no doubt do something again like lifting another 16 bags of kitty litty - lmaoooooooo

Sue

I think about a knit sweater hanging on a wire hanger for years. then you want to wear it. well the first few wearings, the shoulders are not going to look right at all, lumps in the wrong places, stretched out in areas, etc. but wear it often enough and slowly but surely it will regain its shape. and then if you put it on that wire hanger for an hour or two, it will retain its shape. leave it there for another month, and well, you'll have to start over.

same with this. prolapse is in part a result of stretched out fascia. the posture not only supports our pelvic organs over bone so that they no longer rely 100% on muscle, ligament and fascia to hold them up, but maintaining this posture gives your body the chance to reshape all that stretched out fascia -which took years to stretch out! so I think this posture is a long term solution because who wants to reshape fascia only to let it get all stretched out again? but slipping out of the posture once in a while probably isn't going to ruin everything, kwim?
at least that's what I'm hoping

oh, and it took me MONTHS to really 'get' the posture and make it second nature. it came in stages (first the low back, then the shoulders and neck, etc).

You can never laugh too much. Just laugh properly, and loud and long.

Cheers

Louise

I'm just new to this posture thing too. I'm cued to remember the posture every time I feel my prolapse. Since this happens many times a day, I'm getting better. But I do find my back and my butt are aching. I'm hoping that as days go by it will become more natural. Just got the video today so can check it out more. I too just love this forum. I'm in the habit of reading it every day and the kindness and support are awesome.
Joanna

Hi Joanna

I've been doing the posture for over 12 months now and I still get pain, all around my pelvis, where all the muscles are attached I think, though some wierd stabby pains that may be to do with a herniated lumbar disc I carry. However there is also a different pain that seems to be all around the inside surface of the pelvic opening and the sit bones and coccyx, less stabby, more steady and "cool in colour". It is managable, but annoying. I also do a fair bit of stretching of the hamstrings and gluteal muscles which helps me to loosen up the pelvic and lumbar areas in the mornings. I am wondering if this different pain is just over-stretching all the tendons related to these muscles around the pelvis. The good news is that I no longer experience that horrible fullness in my vagina. I can live with a bit of pain to be be rid of that!

Pain is wierd. We have no vocabulary to describe it and no objective way of measuring it. The same stimulus can produce no pain to one person but be really serious pain to another. Sometimes we feel pain in a different place to the cause. It often comes and goes for no apparent reason. It is a bit of a game of chance in trying to find out what causes it by trial and error.

By the way, you may experience some initial pain which will probably dissipate as your muscles get used to new ways of working over the next few weeks. It is just adjustment. I figure that I stood wrongly for 40 odd years. The adjustment is not going to be instant. You may be similar.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks Louise,
I know what you mean about it taking time...and the body continually adjusts. I found last week that when I was standing in what I think is the correct posture, I had a big pulling ache under my left shoulder so I went to my wonderful chiro/bodywork friend who massaged and adjusted and it's lessened somewhat. The interesting thing to me is how I'm gradually just becoming more aware of my body and the feelings that flow through it as I go about my day. I think I'd been trying hard to ignore the prolapse feelings and hoping they'd just go away. Now I'm alert to so much more...and it has to be a good thing. I guess the next steps are to try and relate the feelings to what's going on inside--and out.

Joanna