CONSTIPATION! ACK!

Body: 

getting kind of frustrated here with constipation problem. i drink loads of water, have really been focusing on my fiber -- avoid wheat/bread/pasta products, and yet...it is a problem. i find myself sticking my fingers in my vagina to support myself as i put some pressure and pushing on to get out a bowel movement and i know that makes no sense with a rectocele. (oh please, someone tell me i'm not damaging myself by doing this, but i'm so jammed!)

what to do??

been using a product i read about here called fiber smart. also taking colasce. i'm getting regular exercise. but i'm missing something here. i don't understand why i'm not going more easily and passing stools -- which, when i do offer such great relief.

can anyone help me out with some ideas here?

thanks so much.

susan

hi mommynow:

you had asked specifically about getting stools to just "slide out." i definitely was having that experience up until yesterday (way laid by an intestinal virus) and i think a number of things was helping that, most, though, was the probiotic suggested by grandma joy. in tandem with the diet shifts (again, thanks so much christine!) that involved not eating meat or sugar and really focusing on vegetables, apples, and beans -- especially lentils -- things have just been easy easy. i have been starting the day, too, with first a big glass of warm water and then 8 ounces of warm prune juice, and all these things together have been really helpful. oh, i did also stop all supplements save some magnesium at night and i think that may have been helpful, too. i was taking LOTS of supplements and, i don't know, maybe it hasn't been the best for me.

i am also adding about 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil to my diet daily and some ground flaxseed -- i have been adding both those things to my oatmeal.

anyways, all these things together have made for stools that have been passing with really no straining and that's been such a relief.

oh...i don't know how you feel about this, but i also did castor oil packs and will start those again oncemy period is all over. i can't recall if you're pregnant right now because if you are, i am faily sure they are supposed to be avoided, though i can check that for you.

but the diet with the probiotic (and i know you CAN take that when you're pregnant) seems to be working really well for me.

let us know how it's going.

xxsusan

Sorry to hear that:( I know how you feel about giving up! I hope and pray things get much better (and stay that way) for all of us.

Hugs,

Bigmomma

Yes I'm pregnant so it has been a little tricky with my diet as I get very nauseous when I'm pregnant. Last time I had to take diclectin because I was so sick. I am taking a natural foods prenatal vitemin, calcium, floradix for iron and a probiotic. I am scared to try a lot of diet changes because I'm pregnant but I wonder if grandma joy's probiotic is okay for pregnancy?

Big Momma,
I've been taking extra magnesium for about a week, also, but I'm also drinking lots of water, too. I'm drinking a full glass of water a half hour before each meal, and take a 250 mg magnesium oxide tablet. This is three tablets a day as well as extra water between meals. During my period, I doubled the dosage, since I was cramping bad, but 3 pills per day seems to be about right for me.

I was doing the extra water for a couple of weeks before adding the magnesium, so it isn't just the water. And I was trying extra fiber before, and that didn't help. But the extra magnesium is sure helpful. And according to the book I read, we need lots more magnesium than we get anyway. If you have too much calcium and too little magnesium, it can actually cause insulin resistance! And there are a host of other things that can go wrong with too little magnesium also, including diabetes and all sorts of heart problems.

I'm happy with this, although it was pretty weird to have such soft stool that I couldn't splint one out yesterday. I was impatient and didn't want to wait and tried to send it on out... it just mushed and wouldn't go! I had to go do something else and wait about 10 minutes until my colon had rearranged things and got the stool set to go again.

I think the extra water along with the extra magnesium is vital. Otherwise, your body is short on water and will try to wring every last drop out like usual, because I've tried just magnesium before without such good results. Never so much in a day before- but still....

Hey there,

Is there a reason you take them 1/2 hr. before meals rather than another time of day? Just wondering,

Bigmomma

It's just because of a book I read about getting enough water. If you drink a glass of water half an hour before each meal, it goes straight through to your intestines, gets absorbed and gets sent where it'll needed for digestion which is a water intensive process. So, I'm already drinking the water before the meal- so I just add the magnesium because magnesium competes with calcium for absorption, so I figure it would be best to separate the magnesium from other things I might be eating during the meal that might contain calcium- especially my calcium pills after the meal.

Since some places have plenty of magnesium dissolved in the water, I figure that taking the pill that way would mimic how one could get magnesium naturally. With water.

It's working OK so far....

Hi Ladies!

Mercy! There are so many posts since I left last week. I went to Colorado and thank goodness we went in the pickup. The seat in it was much better for my prolapses. I would love to make a comment on nearly every post since I left, I won't, but I must say this: "I love the commaraderie amongst all of you!" Louise, full of spirit and wisdom, commented on passing things we need to know from generation to generation and it just hasn't been done - but we are doing it now. Christine's work is totally "cutting edge" for us women and I'm so glad you're here trying to teach us all so we can pass it on.

I wanted to remind everyone there is not a "quick fix" for constipation, diahrrea either. Remember, our colon is about 28 feet long, full of pockets, twists, and turns. The first portion of the colon is called the ascending colon, the second is the transverse, the third is the descending and the fourth is the sigmoid colon, just before you get to the rectum. If one takes an enema or a laxative when one is constipated, one is only emptying out that smaller portion in the sigmoid and yes, you get relief, but everything that was up above it (the rest of the 28 feet) now has a little room to start moving down. So, if one has had chronic constipation for years, it is going to take awhile to get the colon cleaned out and running at optimum speed. Chronic constipation causes impaction in all the twists, turns & pockets where even parasites can take up residence. There have been some wonderful ideas given in the posts, and I strongly suggest the foods, supplements, everything be certified organic.

On our trip, we had to eat two meals in restaurants not of my choosing, but even hubby commented on how rotten he felt after the meals. I told him as soon as we reached Denver, I would look up where the Whole Foods stores were. I found it, we had lunch there, then went back after his appointment and spent nearly 3 hours with him enthusing over all the good food and buying stuff to bring home! The next day after my Organic Living Coaching session, we went to the one in Colorado Springs and spent another 3 hours shopping. The back seat of our pickup was so loaded with yummy food by the time we got home! Of course, we found a fabulous place to eat in Amarillo, Texas called the Eat Rite Health Promotion Center and yes, we bought more stuff! We had to lug perishable stuff into the motel rooms at night! But we had fabulous evening meals in our rooms purchased at Whole Foods, and, yes, I who rarely eats sugar, just had to have one of those beautiful tiny little 2 inch key lime pies and one delicately crafted rasberry cheesecakes that looked like a tiny little gift wrapped present! And yes, they were so-o-o-o-o yummy!

Lilly Anne, Bigmomma, Mommynow & howdidthishappen - you all are in the right place! Keep reading, keep working on being healthier, learn to relax (I relax listening to Andre Rieu - my favorite is Beethoven's Ode To Joy - what else?) Use Christine's posture and advice, listen to Louise and learn a relaxing breathing exercise for the anxiety. We are all here to help and willingly extend a helping hand.

Hugs to all,
Grandma Joy

Grandma Joy:

Thank you for explaining the colon and all of its ins and outs. Now I understand why, after I go in the morning that a little while later I feel the urge again. (Unfortunately the urge ramains all day, its just awful). My rectum remains full. My gastro now has me on Zelnorm and Miralax. I also take stool softners. Oh my, so many drugs...

I'd like to know more about your probiotic. Could you pass along your web address when you have a moment. I know that Susan raves how it helped her.

I presently take a probiotic that I get at Wild Oats called Kyo-Dophilus. Its the non-refridgerated kind. I am told that it is good but I do wonder how it differs from the refridgerated kind. I do know that when I started taking it, my main concern was gas. It helped out tremendiously.

Thank you!

- Lilly Anne

Thank you very much for your very kind post to me. Its nice thoughts like yours that sometimes get me through the day.

- Lilly Anne

Hi Lilly,

I've been reading your posts and I know you have been helped by all the ladies reaching out to encourage you. We have so many loving people here from whom to ask for help. I am most happy to answer any questions you may have. If you would like, please email me, my info is on the contact page.

Blessings
Grandma Joy

Susan:

Well, I've had 2 bowel movements today (what a way to start a post)! You'd think I'd be celebrating that fact except that after my morning one I felt like I was on the verge of having one all day. I had one this evening and would like to have another one. The sensation just doesn't go away. At least it is not that awful pressure that I had previously. Nevertheless, Its still very uncomfortable.

I did talk to my gastro today. If the zelnorm, miralax and stool softners don't help I will go for the colonoscopy. We are hoping that the zelnorm will improve it in conjunction with the other drugs. I doubt that I have obstruction or a poylup (sp) because I do go. I think I either have colonic inertia or I am wondering if I have other pelvic floor damage that would cause it just to sit & not move - something is mis-firing. The zelnorm is supposed to propel it through the intestines. I also thought the laxative would do that too. I've tried your suggested diet shifts too. Its actually funny, I think an all veggie diet doesn't agree with me (maybe too much of a good thing). My bm was so strange looking. I am still eating organic chicken. hmmmm I am just so frustrated.

On a different post, under separate cover I asked Gradma Joy to pass along her web address for her probiotic. The one I am using has helped with gas. I would like to learn more about hers. She seems to have a lot of knowlege about the digestive system. She explained about the colon and its many parts and constipation in her post today. I found it very helpful and actually hope she will share more info.

I honestly think if I could get this digestion thing under control my prolapse wouldn't feel so funky. I think because I am so tuned into the whole area that I have become hypersenstive to noticing my prolapse.

I laughed when I read that you are poking around, checking out your prolapse. I do that to, a lot. I also look at it all the time. I have a regular mirror and a magnified mirror. I'm nuts, I know! I guess its the newness of it all.

Thank you as always for your support & I do hope that you are feeling better!!!

Good night
- Lilly Anne

never thought about that(LOL) what about a lighted mirror like the make up kind(LOL) or I could hook my video camera up to the TV and check it out on the big screen.(LOTGLOL)
for now when I do look I use a tiny pink heart shaped mirror that (isn't even real glass- so it is kinda foggy-) I found in my 4 year olds toy stuff.(hahahaha)
I only poke around or look if it feels worse. and sometimes when it feels really good I look too- those days are wonderful. okay mornings because the good feeling doesn't last all day. Gravity sucks!B

Hi Lilly,

I wanted to say a little more about the intestinal tract and probiotics. Every plant God put on this earth has a healing benefit to it. People 2000 years ago were using plants for medicinal purposes, cosmetics and food. Those plants had NO chemicals of any kind put on them or in them. Particular plants were used for particular illnesses because of a particular healing benefit in it. Scientists have learned over the decades how to take a plant, isolate the healing benefit in it, then synthesize it (make a synthetic out of chemicals) then pass it on to the public as a cure. We have ample proof of that, including things Madame Curie discovered, Louis Pasteur, and many, many others. Granted, I think we have a lot of necessary medicines but I also think great care should be used in how/why they are dispensed. Cocaine and marijuana comes from plants. Our own native American Indians still use many plants for healing. Many of our doctors today say if you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, you will get all the vitamins you need. That is true IF the food was raised organically. When chemicals, i.e., pesticides, fungicides, bacteriacides, fast growth hormones or the multitudinal other chemicals out there are put on or in the plants, it DESTROYS the nutrients in those plants. Therefore, when you eat it, you do not get all the nutrition those plants originally had. Raw food is full of nutrients that your body metabolizes on a cellular level. Our cells must be kept healthy to prevent deterioration of the body. Lightly steamed food is ok but heat also destroys nutrients. We have a whole living body that needs whole living food. Foods processed with chemicals are processed by the body, fulfill the hunger need, passes what it can and stores the chemicals in the fat cells. This is one of the reasons so many Americans are overweight. The body does not know what to do with all the chemicals so stores it in the fat cells. Many companies acknowledge putting addictive chemicals in food so you'll keep eating it. Genetically modified organisms are now being put in food and no one has a clue as to what it will do to our bodies down the road. Cloned meat is now on the market and by order of the FDA, the cloners are not required to label their meat as genetically modified. Organic food has naturally slimming nutrients in them.

Because of the chemicals in our food, the good bacteria we need in our gut has been destroyed. Neither do we have good digestive enzymes for the same reason. I was on chemo for six months, constipated those six months and for a year and a half afterwards. (a very miserable two years!) Chemo in massive doses causes bowel paralysis. In my humble opinion, I think all of America has been given so many chemicals in their diet, over a period of years, that everyone is having intestinal problems, be it IBS, constipation (bowel paralysis?), diverticulitis or whatever. I have a brother-in-law who had (has?) diverticulitis and had 4 feet of gut taken out during a long surgery in '91. His doctor told him it was all the hamburgers and french fries he'd spent a lifetime eating. What does he eat now? Hamburgers and french fries 'cause his new docs told him he could eat anything he wanted. Well, duh!!!!

Using a good probiotic, along with eating organic food, is how we can put the right bacteria back in the GI tract. A good probiotic is one where all the ingredients are grown organically, that is processed organically and qualifies to be Certified Organic. There are independent certifying bodies out there that are trustworthy and the rules are rigid.

I know of a website where you can go to find out more about which fruits and vegetables retain the pesticides and will have to find it then post it for you.

My website is www.theorganicplace.com and I do thank you again Christine, for allowing me to talk about this probiotic.

Here's to a healthier new year for all of us.

Hugs and hang in there Lilly Anne - things will get better.

Grandma Joy

I have a really strange question. I know that we are not supposed to strain on the toilet. My quetion is this is ok to give an initial push, not a hard push, but a gentle push to start? Also, not a sustained push.

- Lilly Anne

hey lilly anne:

yeah, that's a conundrum, isn't it? i have to say, right now, i drink my various morning liquids (i know, there are a lot of them) and then i tend to sit on my big bouncing ball seat thing at the computer and really wait for the urge. these days, once that happens, i just go by the time i get to the bathroom, no pushing to do. i actually remind myself to relax so there's no straining. right now, this is working for me. if there is a slight sense of pressure, i tend to lean forward slightly as christine suggests and, frankly, not worry about that.

how are things going for you?

xxsusan

Hi Susan:

Not to be gross, my morning poop is as you explain. I eat/drink and then I get the urge and it expels.

Later in the morning or around lunch time I get all clogged up again. To push or not to push. I got so frustrated today that I pushed. I gave a small/medium push for a few moments. Once I felt it moving I stopped and let it expel. There was definately some effort but I have just been feeling so awful. I just couldn't take it anymore. Its really making me feel crazy!

I was talking to my head-shrinker today and he suggested that perhaps I am on too many meds. I tend to agree. Tonight I am going to try to take less miralax. Perhaps 3/4 of a serving now that the Zelnorm is in my system. He wonders if I am getting the second & third urge because of all the meds. I am just not sure what to do. I'm scared and frustrated. I am so sure I will make things worse. Diet alone doesn't work. The tricks of apples and warm prune juice help but aren't completely successful. (definately helpful). I've been eating the dreaded beans. Lots of salad too! I have cut down on my meat consumption. Tonight I tried something called Temphe (something like that). Whole Foods had it on its salad bar. Its made from Soy Beans. It was quite good.

Thank you for being so supportive!

- Lilly Anne

P.S. BTW, I'm so happy that you are getting relief!

Just a comment to add to the bowel conversation. I find that if I wait for the urge (can't do it just when it's convenient) and then without pushing simply rock back and forth a bit, that starts things going. Also, a moderate amount of green tea (acts in about 10 minutes) helps, of course in addition to the fiber, exercise and water.

It sure feels good to NOT be constipated.

aha, lilly anne:

i wasn't clear that the problem wasn't with that first morning round, but the feeling of having to go later in the day. NOW i get it and, frankly, what your therapist said makes sense to me, that maybe it's too much medication. jesus, it's frustrating trying to figure this all out, isn't it? i'm sure there must be some anxiety in trying to cut down on medication. take it slow and see what happens.

okay,so what happens with you is that the morning is fine, you go to the bathroom no problem there. but after you eat or mid day, you get an urge to go? is that right? i'd bet you other people are going to have some suggestions for you here and i'm going to think on it myself. do you take flax seed at all? the one i'm using is called fiproflax. it comes in a vaccuum sealed blue package and i have to put it in fridge once it's opened. it has a really nutty flavor and i use it generously in food. i'm wondering if that might do anything for you to at least get that mid day feeling to move more easily. though, again, i think your therpist's hunch about the over medication might be right on.

lilly anne, i've said it before and i'll say it again: i know that this is going to be figured out and get better for you. try not to get too hung up on the copious amounts of times you are spending on this right now. you're just figuring it all out and it's focal point in your life will switch for you and it will all feel easier and take up less time in the future. i, too, feel like i am putting just so much time and energy into this and sometimes it overwhelms me. it really does. but i see how my bowels are moving these days, frankly, like never before. i look better than i have in a long time because of the care i'm giving myself (my skin is fantastic these days! sorry to be so superficial but screw it! there it is!) and, most importanly, the prolapses are feeling -- and ARE -- so so much better -- my pt shifted my recotcele grade yesterday from 1.5 to a 1. i chalk that up mostly to the diet shift and critical postural work which is becoming more and more comfortable to me. it's working for me and i know it will work for you.

okay, sweetie, take it easy.

xsusan

Hey Lilly Anne,

I know exactly what you mean. I usually have a good morning, but then sometime after lunch feel the urge to go again, but it seems like too small of an amount to pass and I usually end up waiting till the next morning (sorry to be so graphic). I have been taking psyllium with lots of liquids for about 5 days and the last 2 afternoons have been able to pass. It seems that I need more bulkiness somehow. I still don't feel complete relief most days yet, but am cautiously optimistic about increasing the fiber and water. I stopped the stool softeners, but am still taking extra magnesium. I agree that you are probably on too many meds, and hopefully you can get your system in balance without drugs someday. I know this really sucks!

Bigmomma

Hi Ladies:

Have I got great news, I wasn’t constipated today! YIPPEE!!! It felt so good to feel normal. I took my head shrinker’s advice, I cut down on the Miralax (laxative). I took a little less then the recommended dosage. I still took the Zelnorm which is supposed to help move things along but took two Colace last night and one this morning. For whatever reason, the Zelnorm makes my poop a little dryer thus harder to expel.

I also cut down on my chicken/turkey consumption. I have been experimenting trying different soy alternatives. I am not ready to give up my chicken/turkey completely but instead I am giving into compromise. I started off my day with warm prune juice and then later in the morning when I felt a little plugged up I had some hot water and lemon. I am noticing a correlation with drinking warm drinks and going. I also munched on trail mix today too. I have been including flax seed meal in with some of my food. Tonight I put a heaping teaspoon on my spinach. It was quite tasty. I also have noticed that apples bring it sometimes too.

I still have the same question as I did a couple of posts ago, do you feel it is safe to give a little push to get it going? My morning movement comes out pretty much on its own. My second movement needs some encouragement in the form of a small push. Once I feel it coming I stop. It isn’t a prolonged push but it isn’t zero. Once it starts moving I wait until it comes out on its own. I also lean forward and back and do deep breathing. If I don't encourage it to come out, it will stay stuck in my rectum all day. (can you believe we are talking about this)?

Bigmomma, Interesting that we have the same problem. I wonder why we can go fine the first time but the second time it seems to have lost its momentum? I have a couple of suggestions for you to try that are not drugs. Try drinking warm prune juice or eating an apple. I have noticed that they seem to help. Especially, when I am feeling my worst. It couldn’t hurt to give it a try. I think we all have our trigger foods that bring it on. I think it is just trying to find what your trigger is. I know having an incomplete evacuation is the absolute worst. I hate it too.

Lastly Susan, I was elated to read about your appointment with your PT. How very exciting. I am so happy for you! You’ve come such a long way, you may not realize this, but you are quite a role model.

Hugs to you

- Lilly Anne

wow, lilly anne! that's incredible news! i am so happy for you that things didn't feel stopped up yesterday. i know how that just shifts everything in one's brain about 100%, doesn't it? amazing. so so happy for you.

and, yeah, the warm liquids getting things going. it is interesting and i have noticed it as well. i had an appointment with an herbalist this week and am sipping on some herbs throughout the day that i infuse the night before and i am finding that i not only like to drink them warm but it does, as you pointed out, seem to easily get the bowel moving. wouldn't you think with all the constipation problems people have that that would be the first thing a doctor, for example, would suggest? too simple, maybe. oh well, glad we've found that valuable little morsel over here.

also, your diet shifts sound really incredible, lilly anne. again, i think it's usually better to make smaller shifts with things, tweak here and there as you are doing, than the whole hog approach i took. if it hadn't been for that excrutiating constipation, verging on impaction, i am certain i wouldn't have done it this way. i mean, i have always loved chicken and now am feeling edgy about eating it ocassionally because i'm so not wanting to get back into the constipation. personally, i don't think THAT mindset is the best place to be with it -- scared of food? uh-uh. don't like that. so i really need to figure that out because for me, i do think that occasionally eating meat protein is helpful. but now i'm in the weird psychological place with it that i need to unravel. and i suspect if i had made changes more slowly, as you are doing, i wouldn't have CHICKEN ANXIETY (now how crazy is THAT??) so, as with all things here, a serious work in progress.

i have to say, too, though that i find spinach that i know you are also eating especially beneficial. flaxseed on it is perfect, maybe a little tahini if you feel like it. the truth is that to me, that does taste extremely good and i could eat a huge bowl of that and be happy. i thnk i'm going to start getting some grains in, too. really don't eat much at all in that department save occasionally some brown rice. maybe this weekend.

and lilly anne, please know how much support i have felt from YOU. it has helped me so much to see your journey with this, with your candor and great willingness to be honest about what's going on. i know i always respond most strongly to people who are telling it like it is, when one day might not feel as good as another. it doesn't for any of us and when something is always tied up in proverbial package with a bow on top, it actually makes me feel isolated -- i just can't relate to that, you know? i am CERTAIN that there will be ups and downs for me, as there are for everyone. i mean, there already HAVE been for me, some pretty drastic downs along with some ups. i will always be candid about it because i have to be and i know i don't allow myself to receive support if i'm not honest like that. so, give yourself a CRAPLOAD (ha ha -- bad joke, sorry) of kudos for letting yourself be honest because it not only got you to a better place, but it has helped me and no doubt many others so so much.

take good care.

xxsusan

Good Morning Susan:

Again I want to thank you so much for your encouragement during this whole “crappy” process. It’s been as we’ve discussed daily a nightmare! Let’s talk about your chicken anxiety. BTW, love that statement. Anyway back you. I can completely relate to your anxiety over eating chicken. Might I make a suggestion, try what I am doing. I haven’t cut it out completely, but I am not eating a full 6 oz. for dinner anymore. Instead, start out with 2-3 oz. then supplement the rest of your meal with some type of bean-soy concoction. Or, have your chicken at lunch in a sandwich being that you were going to reintroduce grains into your diet but have a vegetarian dinner. I don’t think it has to be all or nothing. I was talking to one of my friends last night, she is a nurse. We started talking about chicken and my diet shifts. She said that chicken & fish are pretty easy to digest. So try to reintroduce it slowly in small portions. See how it goes. A small shift shouldn’t make that much of a difference. Don’t you miss steak? I do!

In addition to your advice I have spent considerable time on the computer researching foods that help you poop. I found this one site that had a nifty little chart on it. Perhaps you would like to check it out as well: http://susie.parkinson.net/constipatin.htm.
I found it to be really helpful. Isn't it truly amazing that there are foods that can help bring it on. I am just trying to make the right choices.

I ditto you comment about why doctor’s don’t discuss the hot liquids in correlation with having a bowel movement. My God, we are paying you – HELP US! It just really pisses me off. We shouldn’t have to sit at home and cry in front of our computer to get this info. Then they tell us to stay away from our computer… (Sorry, needed to vent).

Today, so far so good!!! Hopefully, this good feeling will remain. I am so hoping that I have turned the corner!

Another shift I am trying to implement is to think about other things. I have taken on a project in an effort to shift my thoughts. I am having my kitchen renovated. Believe it or not it is kind of a self preservation project. Since my diagnosis, I have been so consumed. I am so sick of thinking about prolapse & constipation. I just want to be NORMAL again. I used to be so much fun!

Susan, you really have been my rock though all this. I am so happy for your support and the wonderful support of the other ladies. While I am not a religious person at all, I can only think of this to say, BLESS YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT, ENCOURGEMENT AND SUGGESTIONS. I do not feel as scared or as alone!

XOX

- Lilly Anne

P.S. I've been three this morning, no effort, no shifting, no lifting! What a difference a few days make! :-) Hopefully, it will continue!!!

hey lilly anne:

wonder how the rest of your day went...things sound like they were great this morning. so so cool. and thanks for the link to that site -- i'm going to check it out once my daughter's asleep. i can use all the help i can get, you know?

your suggestion about chicken is a smart one. i actually had the tiniest bit of tuna tonight at dinner -- we'll see how it goes. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will be as easy tomorrow. hoping hoping hoping. (and do i miss steak? uh, you bet i do!) my husband has optimistically bought organic chicken wings that he's planning on marinating in a tahini marinade and then roasting in the hopes i will try one tomorrow. i would love to, actually, but it depends on how i feel, you know? don't want to push it here, but we'll see.

it's interesting. i hadn't gotten to the gym in about 5 days and went this morning and then took a big walk this afternoon. it reminds me how critical exercise is -- for so many reasons, but not only does it seriously clear my brain, but i had noticed after sitting through a 3 hour lecture on wednesday, that my rectocele felt a little...i don't know, sore, i guess, and the exercise made that go away completely. i'm going to need to figure that one out, though, because it's a weekly lecture (i'm in school) and i've got to say, the three hours sitting on these weird seats doesn't feel fantastic. i'm gonna have to play with the sitting posture -- they're tricky seats to manouever myself in -- tight squeeze. any thoughts, anyone?

and, lilly anne, i agree with how just connecting with other women going through this really normalizes the whole thing, i guess is the best way to put it. at first, i felt just freakish about it all (not to mention FREAKED OUT.) i really don't these days. i just don't. and the more i can talk about it, amoung a community of people who get it, the more i talk about it with everyone else, frankly, to normalize it that much more. (yes, i am a full disclosure type of person so i have been yacking away about this to everyone -- i think ALL women should know about this, how common it it. prevention seems so much smarter than intervention. and should prevention fail? i want women to know about this way to go so that they won't get on that seemingly endless surgical cycle.)

let me know how your day went. i'm interested in knowing.

(oh...did you ever talk with grandma joy about that probiotic? i am a really big fan of it -- been reading more about it and the differences between it and most other probitics are pretty profound. and grandma joy is just so great and reassuring!)

xxsusan

Hi Susan:

I had a great day, can you believe it. I feel cautiously happy. I’ll need a few more days under my belt of easy bowel movements to get my confidence back. What do I mean about my confidence, I really fear the movement, or the lack of having one, or the lack of getting the feeling later but not enough momentum behind it. I am my own worse enemy.

I am trying my best to not think about pooping. I was busy with my kitchen project today and visited a friend. My goodness it felt great to be normal. In a warped way, I kind of got hit on. I’ll explain, a lady who works at the tile store wants to fix me up with her brother. She thought I was 25. I’m 40, I love it. I didn’t give her my number for him today though. I just want to normalize a little bit more. I have to return my samples next week. Perhaps if all is good I will at that point. I just can’t date if I am not over being constipated. I hope that I am.

After a day of standing on my feet my prolapse feels sore. Should such a minor prolapse feel uncomfortable? Still can’t find it. Still poking & you??? I was thinking about your prolapse and the sitting situation while attending lectures & I think I came up with a possible fix. Don’t laugh, but I was wondering if you could sit on your coat or a sweater. It may cushion the chair just enough to make things more comfortable. What are you going to school for?

I’m really glad that you tried a little tuna this evening. I think as long as you balance it with fiber you should be fine. See what tomorrow brings. While your wings sound quite yummy I was wondering if you would do better with chicken breast meat instead. Chicken wings are usually fatty. You could cut the chicken breast into strips/chicken tenders. Chicken tenders are still PC on SuperBowl Sunday. I’m not sure if it makes a difference or not as far as elimination but I know that with IBS which I am not sure if you do or don’t have it could. Think lean meats. BTW, I’d love the recipe.

I haven’t heard back from Grandma Joy regarding her probiotics. I will type it into the search function on the Whole Women Site to find your old posts.

Well, I am exhausted. Keep me posted on your progress tomorrow! I feel confident that you will be fine. My mother used to say it best and I think it was great advice, "everything in moderation"!

Good Night!

- Lilly Anne

Hi Lilly Anne,

I had made a couple of posts to you but can't find them now unless I sit and read. Actually, on one I addressed you as Lilly instead of Lilly Anne. Please feel free to go to my website www.theorganicplace.com or email me at [email protected]. I am more than happy to answer your questions.

Hugs,
Grandma Joy

hey lilly anne!

so glad things are better for you right now. i honestly knew you would get here as i had been through the very same cycle with it myself.

it's interesting, i feel as though things are not coming out as much for ME right now. it's not that i haven't had a bowel movement in these last few days -- but for the last two days i have just had ONE. i don't have the urge to go any more frequently, so it's not like i have THAT sensation -- which i had at the start -- and it's a very easy and, uh, satisfying one, as it were. but the week or two previous, i had been getting used to going two and three times. hm. was i just getting spoiled and is this equally as okay and normal? i find it hilarious that i'm thinking about this when, in the past, that one that just happened so easily would have been an excuse for a freaking party before! but it really did make me feel so physically well and light (literally, obviously) when i went far more each day. gotta think it through, and make sure i don't turn obsessive with this. this all might be more my normal rhythm and i had to go alot previously because there was so much old stuff to get out. (i will say, though, that i feel like i am eating far more raw vegetables in the past few days -- salads. they used to frequently stop things up for me -- weird, i know, but again, just showing how every BODY really is so different. i'm thinking i might pull back there for a bit and see what happens, eating much smaller amounts of that and eating more cooked vegetables.)

you know, lilly anne, i don't know if you still are wondering about the pushing question, but i knew i had asked something along those lines last month and i found the thread. it's under "pelvic health" and the subject is "just having a bad day." read through it and a discussion comes up about that very thing because i was curious myself. naturally, christine responded in the most articulate way so check it out.

oh...and as to your sugggestion about sitting on the coat. i actually did that last week (great minds think alike!), though it was a very puffy down coat so i'm thinking there wasn't enough padding to it, actually. with the way the temps are here on the east coast, i think i'll have NUMEROUS more layers this week so i'll try again. thank you so much for the thought with it.

sorry i haven't as on here to comment as i like in the past week. with school just starting, i'm a little overwhelmed. there have been so many threads i've wanted to respond to, but have just been pooped (oops... bad choice of words!) anyways, i'll get my rhythm with is soon though. i just love this community and it's important for me to remain present and attached to it right now.

xxsusan

Hey Lilly Anne,

I'm glad to hear things are getting better for you! I have been using psyllium regularly now (as well as watching my diet for trouble makers) and I can say things are slowly getting better. I will just keep my fingers crossed and continue with this regimen for a while. I am also pregnant, so I wonder if things will improve once the baby gets here. I do have a lot of extra weight pressing on my organs and I am sure that is not helping.

Hugs,
Bigmomma

SUSAN once a day is okay- especially the way you are eating now- you probably don't have as much waste as before- hey you may even skip a day and be okay. B

Hi Susan:

I can't believe I am going to write this, but I wouldn't get all hung up on how many times you go. I would however pay attention to the quality. I do know what you mean because I experienced it for myself this morning. Mine came out as balls today as opposed to one long piece. I didn't have to srain but I recognized that the shape was incorrect. I took a stool softner and later this evening I went again. In a perfect world I would have gone twice this morning and had that wonderful lite feeling that you referred to. I also recognized that I was a little anxious being that my schedule was a little disrupted today. I don't think that every day will be glorious and textbook. Just pay attention to your diet. I have figured out some trigger foods that seem to help. Warm prune juice, almonds, flax seed (I like to mix it in my yogurt), trail mix, warm spinich & sweet potatoes. These foods seem to help. I do try to eat beans now and again. I still eat my chicken/turkey. I seem to be ok.

Also, no need to apologize for not writing sooner. You are a busy woman and its actually a good sign that you are having a good day. I tend to be on the computer when I am having a bad day. When I am having a good day I tend to be out and about. That is normal and a good sign. I agree with you, I definately want to keep in touch with this community. I have so much to learn and so much to share as well.

- Lilly Anne

Thank you bigmomma for your well wishes. I can't believe how much better I feel. I really wish I could have accomplished my success naturally without so many drugs. I tried but I couldn't. As we speak I am enjoying my Miralax cocktail with a side of Zelnorm and stool softners. Yikes, I sound like some chemistry set.

You mentioned that you are taking psyllium. Is that offering you much relief? It works well on some people I am told. It locked me up. Keep working with your diet & drink lots of water/liquids. Warm drinks sometimes help trigger a movement. I really think it is important to find out what works best for you. There is so much info. on this site. It helped me out tremendiously!

You mentioned that you are pregnant, how exciting. When are you due?

- Lilly Anne

Thank to you and howdidthishappen and others for all the support recently, I don't know what I would have done without this place! My system is slowly returning to normalcy (I think) and the psyllium is working just fine for me. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I still, like you, have trouble with the mid-day problems, but am still trying to figure out what the heck that is! Prunes do help and I also have been drinking a lot more warm liquids. It is so nice to have someplace to talk to people about this unpleasant stuff!

Bigmomma

Pages