mirilax and constipation

Body: 

My dd has chronic constipation. she's 8 and I suspect, in her case, its due primarily to diet (she's got serious sensory issues and eats mostly cheese and bread).
the ped scripted some mirilax for her but upon reading the package insert, I am loathe to give it to her.
first, it does say that it can be habit forming.
next, it states that in non-constipated subjects "essensially all the polyethylene glycol was recovered" but in constipated subjects "recovery rate was variable" meaning that some of it was absorbed.
this combined with the statements that "long term carcinogenicity studies, genetic toxicity studies and reproductive toxicity studies in animals have not been performed" makes me wonder how safe this stuff is.

so we tried metamucil (sp?) and while she gagged, at least I know its edible. does anyone have experience with metamucil?

I would be loathe to give it to her also - Mainly because my Mother suffered from constipation as a child - She started taking things - She STILL has to take them now and she is 63! So I think it makes the bowel etc lazy.

Have you tried giving her Unsweetened pure orange to drink? Or something that is 100% natural. I always give my daughter pure orange - unsweetened (Not much) and it tends to work well :)

Good luck
Sue

I haven't tried juice, she doesn't really like to drink anything other than water but I bet orange juice tastes alot better than metamucil.

thanks for reminding me to see the obvious : )

My dad used to give us apple cider vinegar with honey and water and it always worked if we were constipated.

I ate a little meat the other day which I haven't done for probably almost a year. I have not really had any symptoms of pressure as others describe, but have I think been getting some the past day or so since eating the meat. I wanted you to know this as I know you are waiting to stop eating meat until after you have finished nursing. From what I have experienced I think doing so might help your symptoms a great deal, hope so anyway! I for one will be abstaining from meat again altogether as it doesn't seem to agree with me at all. :)

Michelle.

Our PCP recommended Metamucil cookies for my daughter when as a toddler she had bouts of constipation. I have found them in two flavors and she eats them without complaint. Now that she is older we rely more on apples to keep her regular but I keep the cookies around to use as needed. Good Luck

I have been taking Glycolax the generic since November shortly after my pb diagnosis. I have been so misarable on it. It produces a bowel movement and in that respect it is good. But, truthfully, I usually feel pretty good for about an hour then as soon as I have my morning snack or lunch I feel like I have to produce another one and can't. That feeling remains all day and I hate it. It also makes me so gassy. I can't stand it.

I called my gastro today and they suggested taking Zelnorm. Has anyone tried it?

I have also tried metamucil and it made my constipation 10 times worse. My underlying issue is IBS so what doesn't work on me may work well for others.

Dear Granolmom,

I am glad you didn't give the mirilax to your daughter.
I was just reading the comments and am looking at the word Glycolax when I realized if you take the "ax" off, it is glycol, so I looked it up. Both Mirilax and Glycol is polyethylene glycol, commonly used as a solvent, degreaser, and antifreeze. There are so many products on the store shelves we "assume" to be safe, but it truly is not the case. The pharmaceutical companies are compounding so many synthetic drugs and getting them passed thru the FDA without adequate testing. Zelnorm by Novartis has only been tested for 12 weeks and is not recommend by the maker for children under the age of 18. The active ingredient in Zelnorm is tegaserod maleate and 1/3 that is absorbed is not likely to be removed even by dialysis. These three all have contraindications for those who have "bowel obstruction". And the sugar-free metamucil has aspartame in it.

Lots of fruits, vegetables and juices are very good for constipation along with eliminating any and all constipating foods from the diet.

Please, read the labels of what you consume and do take extra special care to read the warnings on the inserts. There is a reason they are there. If the warnings say "may cause...", then you can bet it's already been proven that it caused whatever the warning was for.

You can go to www.hazard.com to look up all chemicals. Every manufactured chemical must have an MSDS on file. An MSDS is a Material Safety Data Sheet stating all info, good or bad, on a chemical.

Blessings,
Grandma Joy

Actually I do not think it is Glycol lol - I think it is Glyco (Glycogen / Glyco from sugars) and Lax as in Laxative

But I would still prefer to go natural - When my daughter was a baby she was constipated and the midwife said try a tiny amount of pure orange mixed with boiled water and it sorted her out - So as she has grown older I have continued it if she gets constipated rather than pills or potions

Sue

I will look for the cookies
dd refuses to drink juice and doesn't eat apples. so picky!

hey granolamom- I know this is a few days late but.....I was thinking- if your daughter likes bread you could make her bread and add ground flax seed - to start with - my kids have no clue it's in there. if that trick works then you could experiment- I blend all sorts of stuff in the blender and add them to my breads. You can even use apple sauce, zuchinni, spinich, citrus, bananas- really anything- B

Hi granolamom

Not sure where you live. Is it summer or winter there? My children used to love frozen oranges for lunch at school or snacks at home during non-winter months. You can freeze them whole or with a little cap cut off the top, in halves, or cut them almost all the way through into six wedges before freezing. They are great for keeping lunchboxes cool all morning (wrapped in plastic wrap) and are half-thawed at lunchtime.

You could probably do the same with stonefruit. How about chopping dried stonefruit and mixing with cream cheese to spread on bread?

How about home made fruit leather? Could that appeal?

Prunes stuffed with cream cheese on toothpicks? Prunejuice iceblocks?

Hey, sorry about all the summer talk! I just got back from a week of camping at the southwest corner of Western Australia, swimming, eating freshly-caught fish almost every meal, campfires under the stars. It was good!!

Cheers

Louise

thanks for all the ideas Louise
its winter here, and my dd does eat oranges, the occasional grapefruit and celery. that's about it for her fruits and veggie repertoire.

I will try frozen juice pops, I doubt she will go for 100% prune juice, but I can probably find a suitable juice to mix it with.

home made fruit leather is another great idea....how does one make it?

Hi Granolamom

Gee, we Mums have to get cunning somehow, don't we?

I imagine that the fruit leather you can purchase would be really high in sugar, which is why I suggested making your own. Actually I have never made it myself. Being a lazybones I always made my kids eat their fruit whole, or cut up if I was feeling very energetic. However your dd is a different kettle of fish, and may need all the encouragement you can muster. I am pretty sure you puree the ripe fruit, maybe cook/blanch it(?) , add a little sugar or other sweetener if necessary, then spread it out on an oiled baking tray, and dry it in a warm, dry place away from insects and children until it can be peeled off the tray, and has lost enough water to prevent fermentation. I have a dried apricot recipe in which you blanch the apricots in syrup before drying them. This prevents browning, so they retain their bright orange colour. No sulphur necessary. It works! Maybe fruit leather is the same. I'll do some recipe book browsing and see if I can find something more specific, or maybe somebody on the Forum will have a recipe.

Cheers

Louise

my friend sandi has a food dehydrator and she says all you do is put apple sauce, peach sauce, mango sauce etc on the tray and dehydrate it. I don't know if this helps or not-
also you may have some success putting flax oil in the juice-B

hiding flax oil in fruit leather!
so creative
I think I'll do a google search for making fruit leather and to price food dehydrators.
good ideas, ladies!

I had one too...fruit juice & agar = jello. gonna try that for snack one day this week and see how it goes over.