exercise and periods and a yoga query

Body: 

hi everyone:

i was curious about something.

i see on christine's dvd that it says not to do the exercises when you have your period. does that hold for ALL of them or are there some that i could, infact, do? i would love to have a few exercises that i could continue to do throughout the month.

also, though i realize there have been a few threads on yoga, i am still a little flummoxed but looking to start doing some. my issue is primarily a rectocele though with a bit of cystocele thrown in for fun. any thoughts on it's safety? usefulness? any postures especially beneficial and/or harmful?

thanks, everyone.

xsusan

xsusan,

I have found that gentle exercise during my period is ok (I have moderate/advanced cystocele) as long as I am careful to avoid abdominal exercises, backward bends, leg raises etc. - anything that puts downward pressure on the pelvic area. I like forward bending - it seems to help with lower back pain/pressure (an excellent yoga position for lower back issues is "baby pose"). I walk always.
As for yoga, I think it's wonderful for everyone, including women with prolapse. Again, you simply have to be aware of what's going on with your body and modify exercises and postures accordingly - even avoiding some altogether. The instructors usually remind women not to do certain exercises/postures during their menstrual periods. I have a wonderful Kundalini yoga instructor with whom I have briefly discussed my prolapse condition. I explained to her that I am not able to do some of the exercises along with the class and that I will be modifying some of the postures. She was very understanding and asked to learn more, so I passed along to her my copy of Christine's book.
The severity of your prolapse and your overall physical condition will determine what you can or cannot do. I think it's mostly a matter of modifying, rather than giving up, activities. I have found that my body tells me (in no uncertain terms) when I am overdoing it, and I am able to sense when I need to slow down. I am becoming less and less fearful and more confident about how much I am able to do.

I hope you do try yoga (I highly recommend Kundalini), and I hope you find a good instructor with whom you can discuss your particular needs and concerns!
Best wishes,
Jean

Hi Susan:

I'm no expert, but I say just listen to your body. It will tell you if you are over doing it or not. I still exercise when I have my period. The only time I ever modify is when I feel anything funky going on. Some of my exercise routines are hardcore. On the days I am not feeling well whether it is because of my period or if I am constipated I just turn it down a notch.

I still do weights, core work and cardio. I don't do crunches anymore or anything that mimics that kind of flexion.

Your body is your best indicator.

- Lilly Anne

Hi Susan,

I don't make any changes in my exercise routine around my period. I make adjustments based on my energy level but my period has never been an issue with exercise. Kids and lack of sleep however are an entirely different story! I also have a rectocele and have found that using primarily free weights allow me to maintain the posture and remain quite comfortable. The amount of weight doesn't appear to be a problem as long as I use proper technique and stay in posture. I use a few machines and I thought this could be problematic (such as a leg press) but they are fine but again with the correct tecnique. I know that ab work has not been recommended but I have been experimenting with good results. When doing ab exercises it is the one area that I am very gentle and I do not "push it".
I am a lifelong runner but I also enjoy low key physical activity as well. You may want to begin with gently stretching or swimming which can be very soothing when our bodies need a little TLC for whatever reason. I find that when I am consistent with exercise my rectocele is less problematic and my digestive system seems to function without indigestion or constipation.

Good Luck!

thanks for the responses on this. it was interesting, i went to the gym yesterday and did about 40 minutes on the eliptical machine. over all, this month my period is much lighter than its been (hooray!) which i strongly suspect is connected to diet and homeopathy. but i had a ral increase in the bleeding after my time there. i just rested for a little and it slowed way down again. i have long loved to exercise and its been great to get back to it on a regular basis -- probably also helping in the easier bowels movements which, as has been pointed out, helps in the rectocele feeling very improved -- and so i'm reluctant to pull back if my body feels okay with it. i think i'll just follow my own body's lead and trust that.

i think looking into yoga would be great for me. jean, i know there are different forms of yoga, some of which have greater focus on the breath. is kundalini one of those forms? that is a direction i'm interested in going with it. i'm going to start to look around for a strong teacher in whom i can share what i'm going through -- that feels important to me.

as always, thanks for the input.

xxsusan

aside from listening to your body and easing up on exercise if you're feeling less energetic, I think the firebreathing is a specific no-no during menstruation. not sure why exactly but maybe it because it changes the direction of the forces going through your body and you don't want any blood going the wrong way. I'd put any inversion exercises or poses in that category as well.

Susan,

Yes, there is a great deal of focus on breathwork in Kundalini yoga. It is a very powerful, active form of yoga - it is not "power yoga."
Teachers go through a very long and rigorous training program for certification. Here are a couple of links to Kundalini websites to get you started:
http://www.3ho.org/
http://www.kundaliniyogane.com/

Peace,
Jean