LENTILS

Body: 

here is what we do with lentils
I made lentil soup- all the veges (carrots, broccoli, onion, garlic, peppers)
then I made barley and brown rice (takes about an hour)
and then I drained alot of the broth off the soup (I freeze it for a quick vege broth later) and topped the rice with the soup-
it was pretty okay (can you tell I don't like lentils?)

and I have been making a smoothie every morning
1C organic soy or cow yogurt
1C froz organic strawberries (or blueberries)
1 whole orange pealed
2 tbs juice
1tsp spirulina
1tsp flax seed
blend and serve

Alemama:

Thank you for sharing your recipies. I am really hoping that I will become a bean lover. I just hate them so... Perhaps disguising the beans with good tasting food will make me like them better.

I really am trying...

- Lilly Anne

thought I'd share a lentil recipe too..

saffron rice and lentils

1 cup dried green lentils
1 and 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
1/4 olive oil
saffron
1 large onion thinly sliced
1/2 c raisins
1 pita, torn into pieces
fill pot with lightly salted water. boil. add lentils + rice.
cook 10 min. drain.
heat oil in pot with saffron. saute onions until lightly browned, add raisins
remove from heat. transfer to bowl, set aside
toast pita pieces, place in 2 Tbs oil in pot, add 1/2 rice + lentil mixture, onion + raisin mixture, then rest of rice + lentils. add 1/2 cup water, wrap lid in towel (carefully so it doesn't catch fire!) cover pot and cook on med. when pot sizzles (around 5 min) reduce heat to low, cook 30 min. pita should smell toasty but not burned. remove from heat sprinkle with salt and pepper.
this is a bit of a PITA, but its so good

I have been experimenting with "green smoothies"...kale, romaine lettuce, bananas, mixed berry frozen fruit...
Kale--two really big leaves and Romaine--6-8 leaves,first in the blender...until completely blended, two banana's, bag of mixed berries...don't need ice at all since the fruit is frozen, so use water as needed.
My finickiest kid LOVED it... made it with strawberries and peaches and banana's and even though the color wasn't "great" my step son Garrett drank his and he is the finickiest kid at 17!--He won't touch a vegie...