Should we avoid any exercises?

Body: 

Should we avoid any of the exercises in the video if we are pregnant? Has anyone continued with them throughout their pregnancy?

hey mommynow- I studied exercise physiology- and exercised through three pregnacies- so here are the ones I wouldn't do
don't lie on your back with your feet in the air or push your pelvis up-
the cat stretch one is cool for preg- the chair ones are okay except the knee lift- I wouldn't do that or any of the inversion exercises.
but the hands and knees leg lifts should be fine-as well as the seated on the ground ones.
If it hurts don't do it. if it is uncomfortable modify if possible or else don't do it.
I walked every day of all my pregnancies and taught water aerobics through the first- man did that feel good. I am here to tell you that pregnancy and prolapse are not well researched in the exercise feild- in fact I never ever heard of prolapse being something I should ask about as a personal trainer. If it were me (and maybe it will be some day) I would just hit the 20 minute brisk walk every day and stretch and be done with it. and I am a junkie when it comes to exercise but 10 months is gone fast and you have the rest of your life to work on your prolapse. Right? B

Alemama:

I have an exercise question for you. While at the gym today I was doing single leg dead lifts with a 10 lb. medicine ball (handles on the side). My question is, being that I felt it in my abs/core I was wondering if it was a safe exercise to do with prolapse?

I know to stay away from crunches or anything that mimics that type of flexion.

- Lilly Anne

When I was going to physical therapy for my rec/cys she had me sitting and pushing with the weights--I don't know what it is called--but just sitting and pushing the weight out with my legs-- when I would work out before this problem I never had a problem with 60-80lbs--but I couldn't stand to sit there and push out 10 lbs. I felt horrible afterwards. Was that just all in my head? I felt just--like I was doing damage.
Thanks!

I think what you mean is that you felt emotionally bad that you couldn't push more weight -is that right? or did you feel physically bad after pushing only 10lbs?
without any more information I would say yes it was all in your head. I have no idea why she would have you doing that exercise anyway. I imagine you are just as strong now as you were when you were pushing 60lbs you just have better sense now:) and you knew that motion wouldn't be good for your body. If I have it all wrong and you felt physically bad - where did it hurt?B

when we talk about dead lifts it is in reference to squatting picking up a heavy weight - usually standing in the middle of a diamond shaped bar - and then putting it back down- that doesn't sound like what you are describing- can you tell me more? I know what a medicine ball is-
what area of your body are you working on? your legs?
Here is what I don't really know anything about- exercise and prolapse. I can take my knowledge about exercise and apply it to prolapse but I am not qualified in that arena. I would love to help you with suggestions of exercises to work different parts of the body- that I think would probably be safer than others-
so can you give me some more info?B

B,
I was just sitting and pushing my legs out on the machine...you are just seated and using the legs to push out. Your knees are to your chest and then you push out--I felt physically compromised first which then led to feeling emotionally scared. I felt like I just didn't trust the pelvic area to hold while I did that.

Thanks

so that sounds like an exercise to strengthen the quads and hamstrings and maybe a little gluts- and there are all kinds of different ways to do this. I am avoiding that particular machine like the plague:)What I am doing instead is the stair master- I put it on a pretty heavy resistance and get into the posture and step slowly for 5 minutes. I know that doesn't seem like alot but believe me it is.
Do you have Christine's exercise video? there is the classic hands and knees heal lift that is great for gluts and hams.
I hope this helps-
Just say No when they want you to do something you feel would hurt you- sometimes they just don't have a clue. I know I didn't. Life sure is an education.B

I feel better knowing you avoid it!
It just made feel awful in all ways and the therapist acted like it was just because I was weak...
I discontinued the PT after a month since I was changing insurance and I really felt it wasn't serving me personally. I felt so much more bulging after going then before I would get there. It would be several days before I felt the bulging diminish. I have the DVD and (it is on loan at the moment to my neighbor who I just found out has a cystocele--after I told her about me) will try all the exercises there! Thanks so much.

Hi B:

I was questioning dead lifts because when I finished my set last night I felt my ab muscles. (I forgot how good that pain can feel).

Ok, I'll try my best to explain. Stand on one leg with the medicine ball held at chest level but held out away from you (medicine ball with handles on the side). Slowly bend over. In doing so lift your back leg so it becomes even with your butt. While holding this pose take the medicine ball and bring it up to your chest. This is a great exercise being that it works on balance, it strengthens your legs, back, arms, butt, and abs. You are not crunching but it does engage your abs/core.

I just was wondering if it was safe.

-hb

- Lilly Anne

Yes, Mommynow, avoid any exercises that sharply increase, or decrease (like the stomach lift) intraabdominal pressure.

Lilly Anne, that sounds like a very good exercise - just be sure to keep one long line from the tips of your toes to the crown of your head. When your lower belly is way out in front of your pubic bone, your organs are out of line with the pelvic outlet and therefore protected.

I just re-read your response, now I get it. Excellent, I am happy to know I can still do that exercise. I actually was excited to engage my abs.

Christine, thank you for responding!

- Lilly Anne

I tried that exercise yesterday- you are really strong and have great balance if you can do that. and you are right it is a great way to work your abs. are you able to keep your hips pretty flat? I had to really work at keeping my hips flat when I picked up my leg.
B

Hi B:

The SL Dead Lift is a tough one. I'd love to say that my form is 100 percent perfect all the time, but it isn't. You definately have to make a mind/muscle connection to do this one correctly. Try holding your abs/core firmly and also squeeze the butt check of the standing leg. You really need to think about all the elements to make this exercise happen.

Once you master that move, you can try curls as an option. Instead of using the medicine ball use 5 lb. - 8 lb. weights. Once you are in the position, curl.

I'm so happy that Christine said that this is a safe exercise. It just felt so good to feel that familiar burn in my abs.

I still intend to rock the bikini this summer.

- Lilly Anne