cystocele/rectocele postpartum HELP

Body: 

Hello everyone, I am posting here in hopes of some great input from some experienced people. Here is the situation...I am going to bullet it to prevent too much reading on your part :)
32 years old
5 weeks postpartum with 4th baby
3 Pregnancies All vaginal deliveries w/in 4 years!!(twins w/ 2nd Preg.) My oldest will be 4 in 2 months
Dx w/ some cystocele/rectocele 2 weeks ago (first time)

OK I understand why it happened and what it is, for the most part, I am curious how I can fix it. I have to be able to run around after these kids and by 200pm I feel this awful 'thing' between my legs. It becomes very uncomfortable!!!! I hate it!!!! I am doing 300+ kegels per day. The MD says nothing can be done right now because my tear is still healing and I am nursing so my hormones levels are low. I am an avid cyclist and workout hard (when not Preg). I am going crazy now just trying to get back to some normal activity. I guess my main ?'s are:
Has this improved for anyone else? How much time? What do you suggest besides what I am doing? I honestly just want to have surgery as soon as I can to get back to feeling somewhat normal!!! Has anyone had this right after a baby and it gone away completely???????
Thank you for reading and responding
Momof4

Hi Momof4,

Yes, I have had this right after having my baby a year ago, as have many others here, and it has not gone away completely. I doubt that once you have prolapse that it will go away completely, although many report improvement.

My prolapse was primarily uterine which has resolved, and cystocele and rectocele which I still have, but which give me no problems. The rectocele definitely improved post partum, and the general vaginal tone and shape also improved no end over time.

I am sure many will chime in here but I simply have to say, GIVE IT TIME! You are SO early in the post partum period, and things will undoubtedly improve somewhat. I saw improvement until very recently with mine. It is absolutely too early to be thinking of surgery, and you will find reading here that this is not a solution for prolapse anyway in the long term.

I suggest, reducing the amount of kegels you are doing! A few are probably OK in getting back your vaginal tone, but you don't need to do many for this to happen. I do maybe 10 a day now, and hold each one for as long as I can. (Some here report kegels made things worse for them, but I have to say that I think they helped a little although it may have been other things I tried, and time which helped more).

Rest, rest, rest! I know this is hard with your little ones, but definitely don't be thinking about working out yet. That would be I believe ill advised even without the prolapse.

Read all you can here about the posture, and diet, and other posts from everyone for encouragement and support.This site has SO much information. Now, so early post partum is a great time to start doing the posture and implementing other lifestyle changes.

Christine's new book has a great chapter on pregnancy and prolapse. You can purchase the pre publication edition at the store here.

Enjoy your new little one as much as possible. I am sure you know how fast it all goes.

Take care and know you are not alone!

Michelle xx

Thanks you so much Michelle for your response...I've been refreshing in between chasing the kids and nursing sessions :) waiting for some responses.
I have a few more ?'s if you don't mind...you said the rectocele improved for you...about how long before you saw that improvement?
My MD said lifting would NOT affect the condition at all...did you receive that same info?
I have been searching for more info related to posture here...haven't found it just yet...and I am a dietitian so my fiber/water balance is really good.
As far as the rest...I wish I could, but simply don't know how possible it is with the almost 4 yr old, 22 month old twins, and now the little one :)
I will look into getting that book...
Thanks again!!!!

I am 27 and 4 months post partum. I found out about my rectocele at my 6 week post partum visit and just recently discovered my cystocele. I have 3 babies in 3 years. I can only imagine how tired you are right now.
Listen I want to tell you I feel better (I don't get that "thing" between my legs very often any more) and I don't think it is because my prolapses are better I think it is because I have SLOWED way down. At first it was really hard to do but now I am pretty comfortable not staying on my feet all day. I play with my kids on the floor on my elbows and knees. I read stories to them in bed or on the floor. I don't pick up the bigger kids. I let them come and climb up in my lap. I rest alot more during the day. I even crawl around to clean up toys. I recruit help with heavy laundry baskets and groceries.
In my pre baby life I was a personal trainer and I still work out every day. I have just slightly changed my work out to accomodate my new body.
Lets see what else helped me.....I changed my diet a little. Added more fiber and removed meat and most sugar.
I am very strict with myself and using the posture (it is hard but once you get the hang of it- well then it comes pretty naturally)
Okay -before I said I don't think my prolapse is any better - just my attitue about it is different. That might not be entirely true. I think it is a little better- Maybe....hopefully.....I am starting to find that I have good days and not so good days.
It is extremely challenging to have this condition and have little children at home. But for me surgery is just not an option. I wish someone would wave a magic wand and fix me but - there is no such thing as a magic scalpel and you said your only symptom was the full feeling so......surgery could cause you a life time of woe- yah you won't feel that full feeling for a while but at what cost?
My feeling is that as long as I am asymptomatic I am not letting anyone near me with a scalpel. (okay and i am a big fradi cat about having my vagina cut up-I watched a video of the surgery online and it freaked me out)
I am getting kinda tired of the whole "breast feeding low estrogen" thing. Ya so my estrogen is low and it will take me longer to heal so what, do I have somewhere to be? I am going to heal- in fact my tear is looking better every day - it isn't going to stop me from healing. and they never remind you that it is a good thing- it is rumored to lower the risk of some cancers for pete's sake.
oh no now I am ranting- back to your questions. I know that eveyone is different. I believe this happens all the time after pregnancy. and I also think it resolves to some degree for most women - but for those of us who continue to tax our bodies by birthing and breastfeeding and birthing again year after year after year - our bodies are going to talk to us. and they will keep on talking until we listen.
over the weekend I typed pelvic floor decent into a search engine and found all kinds of information about just how often this happens to young women after having babies. we are not alone.
I think if you take the time to impliment some changes you will see improvement- how much? only time will tell. will it get any worse? maybe. but the wait and see method is the way to go. At least give it a couple of years.
I hope this gives you some comfort and some reality.B

Hello,

I just wanted to say hello and welcome. I agree with UKmummy and alemama that this is not just going to go away, but can and probably will get better over time. I am a similar boat with all of you having baby after baby (4 in 6 years) and now pregnant again. I JUST finished breastfeeding my last one when I discovered the rectocele and then shortly thereafter was pregnant again, so I don't think I ever got out of postpartum. I am a little frustrated with my own situation presently, but this is a great place for support and information. You are definitely not alone!

Bigmomma

Totally agree with what Michelle said.
My fifth was born 11-3-06--diagnosed with grade two cys & rect on 12-18-06. I had a terrible falling out feeling after having to push my bladder back in after doing crunches to begin getting back into abdominal shape! I did a month of PT--DID not help but made feel worse so I quit. They only kegel you to death with much of it laying down which I just read from Christine's book is the worst position to do them in...we can do a few like Michelle said sitting up at a 45 degree angle in our posture position--lumbar in it's correct position.
Most important aspect is getting your digestion regulated so you do not wind up with constipation and NO straining in the bathroom.
I have begun to do these things and walk with the posture and I am doing excellently. I have not felt the bulging since I stopped PT--which has been 3 weeks. I only lift the baby. I have plenty of people here how can do all that kind of stuff :)) I personally will not risk further damage by lifting etc.
You have come to a great place and enjoy searching for topics you need to find out about--at one time or another someone has experienced what you are and has great advice or just the way they confirm you--excellent!!
I just received Christine's book Saturday-read it Sunday and I recommend it to you!
Blessings on your little one's and on YOU!

I'm with you Alemama on the whole breast feeding thing and how it "may" help prolapse to stop B. feeding! I was told this very thing by an Ob/Gyn at the beginning. That would have never made me stop, but anyhow, I have my cycle back now, a year after having my baby, and there is NO CHANGE at all with the prolapse. I too think this is a complete fallacy promoted by Dr's who don't know what else to tell us. I think Granolamom summed it up well by saying breast feeding and associated low estrogen levels may affect the soft tissues of the vagina and how "plump" they are, but I don't think it has any bearing on the fascia and muscles.

I also agree with Therese about my PT. I know some women here have found some truly holistic and wonderful PT's, but mine was not much help. It was all kegels and lower abdominal exercises. Although she meant well, she maintained she had been in womens health for "years", but seemed to know little about incidence of prolapse post partum, or recovery prospects.

Do I sound annoyed? Yeah well I am kind of. I remember all the different things I was told and it really irks me that there is so much misinformation circulating. It doesn't help us at all when we are scared and desperately searching for information after this happens.

Momof4, you ask about my rectocele. It was there from the start I think though I only noticed it when I noticed the cervix. It takes the form of "baggy" skin low in the vagina and at the opening, but has never really bulged as such. It doesn't seem to affect the rectal wall at all in that there isn't a full thickness bulge if you know what I mean. It definitely tightened up, but took several months. It still varies quite a bit but really it is not noticeable at all. I eat lots of veggies and pulses, and make sure I don't get constipated.

In my panicked search for a "cure" at the start of all this, I was given a whole host of information from health care professionals, from one Dr who said I could continue to train for marathons, to the PT who sounded as though I would never be able to run or lift anything again. I am careful with lifting now, and certainly was for months post partum. I find if I am careful of posture and form I seem to be fine. I still need to really try running again, I have run a little but not properly. I will. There are a few runners on the board and others who exercise, one is "PArunner", another is "Mare". Both exercise with their respectives prolapses and seem to do fine. Other people are trying other exercise too. Search for some of their posts for great and encouraging info' pertaining to exercise in the long term.

A midwife who I trust has told me fairly recently that this is EXTREMELY common, and that most women after vaginal deliveries have prolapse to some degree. An understanding of this has helped me to come to finally terms with it all very well.

The posture can be found in the FAQ's section of the site.

OK, sorry to go on and on...............

Michelle.

welcome to the forum and congrats on the new baby!
I don't want to get redundant, you've received lots of good advice and words of wisdom from the previous responses.
I think the best thing you can do for your condition right now is to read through the faq's and posts on this site. Christine's book (the new edition) is chock full of informative diagrams that really will help you fully understand the mechanics of prolapse and the philosophy behind the posture advocated here.
The posture is probably the single most important step in stabilizing a prolapse. and that is something you can most certainly do while chasing toddlers around.
and I know others have said it to you, but REST! I don't think you can expect much positive change if you dive right back in to your former routine. I can only imagine how hard it must be to find the time to put your feet up. but it must happen if you're going to stabilize this thing.
when I found my prolapse I was pissed off and not in the mood of changing anything - I just wanted my life (and my perfect vagina) back the way it was. well, a year later I had learned to slow down a bit and my prolapse was definitely less pronounced and asymptomatic on most days.
I believe that your prolapse will most likely resolve somewhat, but it takes work getting there. the surgery short cut is a dangerous road and there is no turning back. I hope you give this work a fair trial (6 months or so) before booking a surgery.
stick around, ask all the questions you want, and stay hopeful.

Firstly - STOP! - Doing 300+ Kegels a day!!! This is straining and tiring out the muscle and making things worse not better - I know this cos I did it too - If you wanna do kegels do no more than 50 a day! (I brought my kegelCount down to about 25 and everything got a helluva lot better...

It took about a month for me to stop feeling the bulge 'peeking' when i was on my feet for a long time with the less Kegels and the Posture...

Post partum you need to rest... And lot of it - Hard I know with 4 kiddies... You need to find new ways of lifting your older kids - My youngest now lifts herself to me instead of my lifting her - When I am sat on computer chair she will put a knee on the chair between my legs and lift herself up to me (she is just 4)

In the post partumperiod the body is doing self repair and to do so very many kegels you are working backwards as that muscle is trying so hard to heal itself and raise up yet you are making it so very tired it is unable to - So resttttttttttttttttttt :)

I think if you remain with us and impliment posture as part of your life - You will see tremendous results - I was initially diagnosed as a grade 2 and now I am a grade 1 But when i stupidly lift heacy things (Like the 7 bags of kitty litter I lifted last weekend) I can feel the difference - So this is something that you hafta think about now. Yes it will change your life - Mainly cos you know what it is and you know it's there. But it will NOT ruin your life :) you are changed yet in tact :) So all you hafta do now is to get into posture - which will take time to get used to ... Then do LESS Kegels (MY PT told me I was tiring out this muscle hence it being so very lax by all the Kegels) I now do prolly about 10 decent ones a day ad I am fine - I no longer leak (lol) and I do not hafta get up twenty times a night to pee...

Welcome to this site :) Welcome to a bunch of women who will embrace you into their fold and help you every step of the way. We have all seen our doctors and whoever and we remain here as this is the place we 'fell' upon and the only place that worked...

Welcome to the Family :)

Sue

Hi Momof4

Welcome from me too. Supadeja is right. It is amazing how young you can teach children to climb up to you, and its pretty important that you do. Your alternative is to turn into a rug rat and just spend more time down at their level! You might find kneeling on your feet (if you know what i mean) better than squatting down to the children, and doing some hands and knees work too. I have ended up with callouses on my knees and elbows, but it is a small price to pay to ensure that my butt sticks out instead of in, so my prolapses are not being damaged any more. I used to do a lot of full squatting, but no longer. My kids have all grown up now, but there is always stuff to do at ground level, particularly in the garden.

I also find that spreading my sewing out on the floor is better than poor posture standing at a table when cutting out etc. Same applies to changing nappies and other slightly bending over activities.

I think I have also discovered that wearing toddlers on your back, or a lot of heavy back rucksack carrying tends to make you straighten the lumbar curve too. I think carrying on the front is better for prolapses, even a ruck sack. Looks a bit wierd, but give it a try.

You just have to find ways of maintaining the lumbar curve, no matter what you are doing, and be aware of the subtle difference between that and bending over at the waist, which tends to tuck the butt under again. Disastrous!

Cheers

Louise

Thank you all so much for all your comments...I will first of all definitely stop doing so many kegels...

I am still navigating through the site so I do apoligize if my questions are repeats, but as I have so many helpful responses...I am going to ask a few more questions (again...if you don't mind) Since this is all new to me...I have my 6 week check in 10 days...I am trying to find out approximately what stage I might be (I know it isn't my job to self dx, but I want to be as informed as possible for my next visit). So, I hope you don't mind the detailed explanation/questions to follow:

By the end of the day...I have what would be about the size of a golf ball of what seems like smooth muscle right there behind the vaginal opening...it certainly feels like it will fall out and it hurts to sit down. I don't have any incontinence or problems with BMs at this point...oh a little uncontrolled flatuance here and there.Is this more or less than other postpartum women are feeling? Does anyone want to share what stage they are and the symptoms they have had?

Second, I found the posture information...please correct me if I am wrong...this is proper posture in general isn't it...don't they say you can look younger and healthier by using proper posture at all times (just another plus to getting our bodies supported :)
thanks again to all...I am definitely using this site to obtain as much info. I couldn't do this without your help!!!

THANKS
Momof4

don't worry about repeat questions, we're here to help!
I don't know what stage my 'celes are, I didn't get a formal diagnosis right away (I know, I should have seen a dr right away) and when I did get around to seeing my mw (a year or so after starting this work) she said 'oh that's not too bad' and I didn't press for a number. I don't much care.
I do remember the 'golf ball at the end of the day' stage. It didn't last long once I started incorporating the posture and learned to slow down and rest when needed.

I'm not sure what is commonly refered to as 'proper posture' and that's odd because in my pre-baby life I was a practicing PT! I do know that never in my years of school or clinical training did I see the pelvis described as it is in Christine's book, so everything I thought I knew about posture was wrong. but I do think you are right, I look younger and healthier when standing this way (at least I think I do!)

I got some conflicting "grades" for my prolapse so I have to say I don't pay much attention to that now. I think it is so subjective depending on the person assessing, and the time of day etc.

My chiropractor was very impressed with the posture and said that it is indeed a good way of standing for general health. :)

Hi

I am 31 years old, 11 weeks postpartum with 4th baby - all vaginal deliveries. Longest labour with first 4 hrs 10 mins. Last labour with fourth only 37 minutes and 8 contractions long.

I have been told I have a rectocele too and poss a cystocele. I am overweight and have had constipation and piles with this last pregnancy. Two nights ago I felt like a baseball was hanging out my rectum as I tried to pass bowel motion. Took ages to pass and then I noted the full feeling in vaginal opening. I have had bad muscles in pelvis since pregnancy three and definitely noticed difference in sex life since baby three arrived.

I will be interested in your progess, my midwife is advising surgery and to see Ob/Gyn but I am resistant and have heard good things about getting your kegels sorted.

you know, i find it interesting that you are so very post partum and are already getting the push for surgery. from all that i have read, the post partum prolapses very very frequently shift after a while so to rush into even a CONVERSATION about surgery seems premature at the very very least. i only have one child but, honestly, i think it took me a good solid year to feel not postpartum -- actually, thie bigger truth is, it took till i finished nursing my daughter when she was 3 years old to reallly not feel post partum. it amazes me how we rush this, isn't it? our bodies have spent 10 months MAKING A BABY and then we PUSH THE BABY OUT and it seems we are given a rather small time to really recover from that miraculous feat.

okay. lemme stop with that.

when my rectocecle first got symtomatic, it was a similar experience to what you're describing. i was trying to pass a bowel movement one evening, i was straining, and when i finished and stood up, i had the sensation of a walnut in the back of my vagina. not pleasant, as you know. that was in late november. here it is, early february, and through this work (as well as pelvic floor pt -- i seem to be one of the people who is finding that beneficial) that sensation is gone 99.9% of the time. the last few days, i have been out and about in the city, walking the miles i always used to do and have had NONE of that bulgey, weighty feeling. literally, none. pretty incredible progress, i would say.

critical to all this has been getting the constipation under control. i can't stress enough how this has been CRITICAL. when i first came to this site, i had to splint almost everytime i had a bowel movement. now? not once in the last month. not one single time. and i usually have about two -- sometimes more -- bowel movements a day. they pass very very easily due to the diet changes. there's a very long thread under food about constipation that alot of women here participated in. great great ideas for helping this and i would encourage you to check it out.

also, absolutely critical, is the POSTURE piece. can't say enough good things about it. that was the first thing i started to do and i had immediate ease of symptoms with it. immediate. even though i find the posture is still a work in progress for me -- tweaking things, readjusting, rereading christine's instructions -- the basic form is there ( i think) and helpful beyond words.

is it possible for you to buy the new edition of her book? if you can, i would also highly recommend that. loaded with incredible information to help you understand this and very very practical ways to help yourself. the best investment you could make, i should think.

i realize you have four children, one still a tinsy baby, but please, try and make a window of time for yourself with this. surgery is always there as an option, though once you go the surgical route, that is irreversible. i am here to tell you that your rectocele can certainly stabilze and, quite likely, improve. i had hoped that would be possible for me when i first came here a mere two months ago. it has become the reality for me.

good good luck and congrats on the new baby! please rest!

xxsusan