how does everyone incorporate the exercise into their lives?

Body: 

okay, people:

so i'm really interested in knowing how you all incorporate the specific prolapse exercise work into your life. i am feeling like i don't have a good balance of things down at the moment and i'm really struggling with it.

for example, i do work on thinking about the posture all the time. that seems critical. but i also have a series of exercises my pt gave me that i so first thing in the morning (and that i SHOULD do in the evening, though i frequently fall asleep before i do!) i go to the gym about 4 times a week, walk tons. BUT, i'm not doing the exercise program christine has created on ANY sort of a regular basis and, in turn, i suspect i'm not supporting myself as much as i could be. i have the dvd. i have the new edition of the book. now i need to DO them. regularly. so i'd love to hear about other people's routines. do you do the dvd every single day? a few times a week? if it was a few times a week, did you notice improvement or does it seem to take every day? how long does it take you?

sorry for all these questions, but i really need to get some input as to how other people are handling this. i'm wondering if planning on doing the dvd 3 times a week would be useful (and realistic.) i'm wondering if people are having a much stronger response to the routine in the new book edition.

anyways, love to hear all about it! i need help with this! help!

as always, with much gratitude.

xxsusan

Hi Susan

I wasn't going to comment on this one, thinking ...

My books and baton arrived yesterday. I will put the CD on and at least listen to it while I am working on the computer. You have to start somewhere, listen to the music first and get a feel for it. Uh-oh!, son No. 1 took the speakers from our family room stereo to the repair shop to get a new woofer fitted in December, then put my good computer speakers on the stereo, then drove to the other side of Australia to start a new job. Stereo speakers eventually ready to be picked up, I go and get them and put them on the dining table so 'somebody' can reconnect them. One and a half months later, still there. Right, I says, get my computer speakers back on my computer and put stereo speakers back on stereo. So much dust and grit on stereo cabinet which came in during a night dust storm last month and fell from above when I was installing an exhaust fan in the windows above it to take out hot air during the night (it is summer here!). Remove speaker from top of cabinet. Dust speaker and wipe dust away from top of cabinet. Scratches. Can't just polish half of the top of the cabinet. Move Christmas tree lights, numerous empty CD cases, a spare cable, an instruction book for a hair drier that came a a Christmas present (Christmas things in February, why??) and more dust and grit. Go and look for the furniture polish to fix scratches and polish timber top of cabinet. Polish missing from cleaning cupboard. Probably borrowed by son npo. 2 to polish his chest of drawers in Perth, 1 1/2 hrs drive from here. Find bottle of ancient furniture polish that must have come from my mother's house when we shifted her out nine years ago. Lid fused on to bottle. Grrrr! Write a post to Susan to express my frustration with dear old messy real life.

... and that is about as far as I have got fitting exercise routines into my day. I guess you just fit it in where you can and don't dump on yourself when you don't come up to your own standards. Have a laugh and put the kettle on. Drink coffee, while I ponder that I now have one speaker on the stereo and no speakers on my computer, and a big dusting and polishing job to do. Where did I go wrong???

Cheers

Louise

that's what I do(except downward dog)
before my "run" on the elipse I fire breathe and when I stretch I add some of the exercises- It doesn't take long and I don't think I look too silly- (I day dream that I will see someone doing them too and we will talk shop)
That way you know you will get it in 4X a week
I also put the video on and do them at least 1 time a week in the evening (that is what I do if I am having a very LOW day).
and I do some of the chair ones everytime I sit in a chair - the floor ones when I am on the floor-
As to the effectiveness- it is too soon to say....I am sure you have heard the 6 week rule with starting any new exercise program- wait 6 weeks for results.....I am getting better at them though. B
I haven't got the book yet so I can't tell you there

Your life sounds like mine. I still struggle with getting any exercise in, now that my martial arts time is sitting instead of jumping, kicking, etc. Also, finding time to do the meditating I think I need to do to destress is difficult. The job (preschool teaching) takes a lot more time than the time I'm paid for, there's the time in the car, I've a second job on Sundays, and home time is spent trying to get things done much in the manner you've described. I could, I suppose, cut out my computer time in order to sleep a little more, but I don't wish to cut out my contact with all the people who are not at work. So there it is. Something is out of balance, but finding out just what and where, and then fixing it, is not so easy. Guess we just need to keep plugging.

Please tell me more about the video. It sounds like something I could definitely use. :):)

You are doing much better than I am. I still have to get the new book and a video if it exists and get beyond trying to remember to do the posture all the time and not just when I happen to think about it. You at least go to the gym. I don't belong to one because I can't afford one, especially when it would be difficult to use it anyway because I have an antipathy to machines. Would go to a PT (your suggestion is good, am still trying to locate one, then will have to figure out how to pay for her) or to exercise classes. For me, it's best to take the exercise out of the house to do it, because there are too many distractions at home, and not a lot of space. I think if you keep at it, your balance will come.

Hi,

I'm just starting to work on doing my pelvic floor exercises more regularly. Here's a couple of things I'm doing...

1) This one can work if you have a partner at home. I explained to my husband how important this is and that I need time to do it. (He also has some exercises he is supposed to be doing for his own injuries that he hadn't been doing so he can relate right there). Then set up a schedule - certain times per week we trade off with the kids, so the other one can do some of the exercises we are supposed to do, kid-free. This has been working pretty well the last couple of weeks. I posted the schedule by the way and often give my husband a reminder the night before :-).
2) I'm attempting on other days to get the whole family involved. To get a routine going where once we get out of bed, the first thing we do is some stretches and exercises. I'd like this to be as much a part of our morning as eating breakfast and brushing teeth. Anyway, I have 2 and 4 year old boys, and this sometimes works enough to get me about 15 minutes in. They do a little "kid yogo" etc then eventually head into chasing each other, or playing with a toy etc. Some times they pile up on mommy, so I definately have to be aware.
3) I also walk a ton with the kids and a stroller and once/week do a spin class to get some good cardio with my pelvic floor supported. (My spin class is also on the schedule for my husband to know he's "on" with the kids). And I just got the new edition of the book so haven't tried the new routine yet.

Carolyn

I have been doing the dvd excercises at night, pretty much every night, after I put the kids to bed. Do i always feel like doing it? NO! But, I think of it as part of my spiritual practice -- that is not optional. This is because I feel so much better when I do it.

Now, the new workout is considerably longer than the dvd. It takes about 45 minutes. It's 45 minutes of pure thrill for me, as I love the exercises and the music. I am going to have to adjust something because sometimes I fall asleep with the littlest one. This morning, I just did it in the morning, but my dh was home.

So, I am thinking I will alternate evenings -- new workout one, old workout the next. I'm going to try this because I really still love the other workout, too, and feel great after doing those exercises. I also still do pelvic floor contractions, and incorporate these into my routine.

I'm sure it will continue to evolve.

Marie

...My vision for Whole Woman.

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been holding my breath since Susan posted this hoping the workout would get good reviews. There’s no doubt in my mind the workout itself it what is needed, but I knew women would have difficulty finding the wherewithal to incorporate it into their day-to-day lives.

The reason I knew this is because I am one of those women! I absolutely love doing the workout as part of a class, but it’s very hard for me to go into a big, empty studio and do the exercises alone. Maybe it’s my own personality, because I can workout alone perfectly well when I’m creating something new, but to do it as a routine by myself is just, well, lonely.

The classes are so much fun though, and part of the reason for that is the sharing amongst women that’s just part of the scene. They are not particularly tightly-structured classes and we chatter before, after, and in-between lessons. We do a yoga-like cool down at the end including some positive visualization and breath work.

I’ve really hardly begun developing the classes here as I’ve been pretty distracted with the book, the holidays, and the birth of my granddaughter. As soon as I finish the baby quilt – yes, STILL working on it – I must begin the next phase of the work, which is getting the word out any way I can. I want to train other women to teach and hopefully by this time next year we’ll have classes going full-time.

I believe women’s circles are an essential part of the whole woman process – I can just see women like UKMummy and Mommy2three sharing and healing within a circle of woman-energy. I’m sure it comes as no surprise to those who’ve been reading the forum for awhile that I have my own emotional issues – and the clearest and most honest conclusion I can draw as to why is that I was not well-supported by the women in my family-of-origin. Fear, anger, greed and jealousy ruled my life for a long time and I’m sure most of you have your own version of this – it’s just the way of the world. However, breaking free of emotional poisons is essential for our own evolutionary development and a genuine, supportive group of like-minded souls is the greatest help.

The Whole Woman Workouts are total body exercise and it’s not inconceivable that we will add weights and some equipment in the future – perhaps bolsters and such for increasing spinal flexibility.

In my wildest dreams I would like to see a spa next door where women could shower after the workout and before work, take a sauna, get a massage, facial, carrot juice, or consult with a health expert.

This is my idea of the women’s gym of the future, which I think needs to be far different than the cool, steely establishments of today...and I believe there should be one in every city.

Goodness only knows how it will all get done, but I think if enough of us create the intension, it will.

All Love,

Christine

well, christine:

that is a very beautiful vision indeed and one i wholeheartedly agree with. the support of other women has always been CRITICAL to me -- i know much of the shift in how i've been feeling, the improvement, has as much to do with connecting to all the women here as the posture, diet and other work i've been doing.

it's interesting. on this thread, someone mentioned doing the exercises as part of a spiritual practice. something to that effect. i thought that was a beautiful way to put it and yesterday morning, thought about it that way and did the whole dvd, fire-breathing, and starting to learn the new exercizes. and naturally -- i felt GREAT all day. physically and emotionally. it was a wonderful reminder of the importance of all the pieces of this. but, as you said, christine, yes, it can get somewhat lonely doing it by myself and i wish more than anything that you were on the east coast (or, of course that i was living closer to where you are. i am SO JEALOUS of the women who live near you and can take class at your studio! grrrrr!) but i'm in the new york area now and, well, doesn't seem that there's anyone near at hand to join me in embarking on this so i'll have to start by going it alone. (though, i know not REALLY alone since i do feel the support of anyone here.)

anyways, its been great to hear other people chime in on this. i think figuring out doing the exercise program wouldn't feel so important to me if i didn't know how important it is to my over all well being. and i know it is. but, again, that doesn't mean i make the time for it and i need to just hunker down and get to work on that.

i've said this to you before, christine, that when you're ready, i would love to figure out a way to get you on the east coast. i know there are a bunch of us here and to work it out to have you here for a seminar or weekend would be amazing. i have a few other thoughts about places here in new york city that i think would be very open to having you talk about your work and show people. just holler when you're ready. i think a lot of us here would be thrilled to mobilize and help any way we could.

thanks, all.

xxsusan

Being a reader, I ordered the book first and saw exercises at the ballet bar. Then I ordered the First Aid DVD thinking that was going to assist me with those exercises, but the DVD exercises are totally different. Are all of the exercises supposed to be done together? Because the book is newer, are these exercises replacing the DVD exercises? Will someone please clarifyfor me? Thanks to everyone for your support and help -

Hi Yogam,

The dvd was produced in 2004 and contains a short, strategic exercise program that many women have found useful. You had mentioned you were hoping the dvd shows how to sit, stand, and walk, which it does.

Many of the active members here have been with me through the entire process of developing the second edition of the book, which includes the beginning workout program we have been doing here at the Whole Woman Center for the past year. However, I think we need to state more clearly on the store copy that the book and dvd are separate programs.

I am very much looking forward to creating a new video of the Whole Woman Workout, but it will probably be at least the middle of summer before it will be available.

Christine

I just wanted to pop in and add that I am a new member here and having ben doing the DVD exercise program daily, accompanied by half-hour walks when I have the time. After completing my exercises I truly feel better - more energized, yet more relaxed as well, and empowered that I am taking steps towrds healing myself and staying "whole". I walked through the book's ballet exercises and found them to be a good work out, as well as enjoyable. However, I second the request for a DVD to lead us through the program. (It gets tricky holding the book up to my face and trying to follow the directions.) Should you create one Christine, I will be your first customer!

I've found that I memorized the whole routine to the music pretty quickly. Now, I can even do it without the music on, just it playing in my head!