using progesterone cream post birth for postnatal depression

Body: 

Hi

Progesterone cream was recommended to me to use following the birth of my baby - to avoid the crash in hormones and post natal depression. I did have postnatal depression and using the progesterone cream has made a huge difference to this and still does. My question is would using this hormone have been likely to have made my prolapse worse and would that still be the case ? I am now 8 months post partum.

many thanks !

I don't think using that cream would have made a huge (if any) difference in your prolapse. there have been some other threads here about estrogen and prolapse and the general consensus here is that while hormones may affect the vaginal tissue, that's not what causes, exacerbates, or reverses a prolapse.

just curious though....never heard of using progesterone cream for PPD. I hope you don't mind my asking, I've been through PPD and its not pretty. is the thought that your progesterone levels were low? because I thought that after childbirth the estrogen levels were low, especially in breastfeeding moms. didn't know about the progesterone levels.

Hi
I am not sure what country you are in but Progesterone treatment is becoming increasingly popular in Australisia as an alternative to hrt for menopause and postanatal depression, in fertility problems etc. It seems to have a high success rate and I know of many women who have been thrilled with their treatments. I am sorry, but I cant really fill you in on the hormone side of things ! The treatments do seem to have a high success rate and I know that it certainly has been my lifeline for post -natal depression.