Yoga

Body: 

What about yoga? I heard it was good for my condition, but after doing my first class yesterday my cystocele was in a bad way. I really enjoyed the class, though, and wish I had discovered it sooner. Maybe I wouldn't be in this state? Anyone have info about yoga, good or bad?

Annma,

As with any form of physical activity, you simply have to be aware of what is helpful or harmful to your condition. If you haven't already, read Christine's book and definitely search through the forum for threads on yoga - there have been a few discussions on that topic. I too have cystocele and have practiced yoga (kundalini) sporadically for several years. There are a few guidelines I keep in mind: no backward bending, no leg lifts lying on the back (I find most abs work - crunches etc. too stressful), avoid having the body at obtuse angles. Otherwise, use common sense - if there are particular postures or exercises that are uncomfortable, painful, or that seem to worsen your prolapse, it's probably best to avoid them. If you have a good rapport, discuss your condition w/your instructor - he or she might be able to suggest alternate or modified exercises.

Whole Woman posture and fire breathing are definitely helpful.

I hope this was helpful, and not too preachy (-:
J.

What is fire breathing?

Whole Woman Fire Breathing is a breathing technique (based on yogic breathing) combined with a movement that is designed to help "pull up" prolapsed organs. Christine developed it and describes it in the 2nd edition of her book.

J.