Nursing positions

Body: 

Does anyone know the best posture for nursing a sweet baby? Mine is about 20lbs. I usually lean back on the couch with baby in my arms, but that doesn't seem to match the posture we are supposed to keep. If I nurse cross-legged on the floor I have to slouch as he is too heavy to hold up.

My babies were all big and I nursed for as long as they wanted. Pillows strategically placed did wonders so I could sit comfortably while nursing. Hope that helps you. I also nursed while lying down--which gave me the added benefit of getting a bit of rest.

I had trouble with this too - but then I started nursing lying down. That is what works now- as he gets older I am thinking I might be able to sit up because he can sit up......

I also found laying down to be most comfortable. once the baby's big enough to sit, that helps too.

I remember asking this question when I first got here and christine gave me some really good and grounding advice. what I took from it was, its ok to put your feet up every now and then and relax. so take a short break from the posture if you must, and enjoy nursing your sweet baby. that's good for you too : )

I could sit using the posture when I used a nursing pillow and sometimes a skinny one under that.

Hey, isn't it time we had a book with illustrations of the 100 most popular positions for nursing babies and toddlers? Yes, just like sex, you are limited only by your imagination. Beds, chairs, tables, cars, shelves, lying flat on your back, on your side, baby on top, baby beside. I have even calmed a fractious baby in a car seat on a long drive (Are we there yet??) by sitting beside the car seat in a lap seatbelt and dangling? a boob over the side of the baby seat to stop the crying for the last few minutes of the journey. First time Moms, don't try this one! You have to be a bit adaptable as baby grows. Three year olds are not very good at lying on a pillow on your lap!

Perhaps we could call the book The Karma Sootha?

Cheers

Louise