post baby prolapse

Body: 

I thought I'd start a new thread in response to sue's question 'how is the prolapse after the baby?'

so I finally took a deep breath and squatted over a mirror. and whaddya know, the cystocele is exactly where I left it last time I looked (early pg). no worse. and that is great news.
I couldn't see my cervix, also great news, and I'm not ready to go looking for it with my fingers.
the greatest news is that ::::;are you sitting???::::: my rectocele is smaller. ha! who'd have thought THAT would happen? I'm not getting my hopes up (too high anyway) and I expect that it will likely reappear as my body finds its way back to its pre-pg state

I'll keep you updated as things change, and I hope that this gives some reassurance to all the pg mommies here and to all those considering another pg with prolapse. it can be done!

Woohoo!!!

I've talked about the fetal head pushing the bladder FORWARD and the rectum BACK during the natural birth process.

Thank you with all my heart, Granolamom, for setting yet another wonderful example of our glorious anatomy and physiology.

Christine

towards the end of my labor I had three back to back very painful contractions. with them I had an intense urge to urinate. threw me off completely, I know all about 'rectal pressure' right before crowning so I thought I had to pee. of course, it turned out that I didn't and that it was the baby. also, this sensation disappeared as soon as I got on hands and knees.
so you think baby was pushing on my prolapsed bladder?

and thank you Christine, for your talk about the fetal head pushing the bladder FORWARD and the rectum BACK during the natural birth process.
I had that running through my mind at the time.

I'm so glad you were able to update us on how you're going post baby Granolamom. I can't tell you how encouraging it is to hear that your prolapse hasn't worsened - and may actually have improved. You give me the courage to go for my second pregnancy.

Do you mind me asking what position you laboured in and whether you tried the 'push not' approach, and do you think it helped if you did?? I'm trying to gain whatever knowledge I can at this stage.

Enjoy your beautiful baby.

That is great!!!
Maybe you could update uson a Monthly basis - :)

It is reallyfabulous though that nothing is worse :)

for the most part I labored standing up, walking and at the very end made the mistake of laying down (not comfortable at all).
I didn't read through the whole push-not site, and honestly don't remember if there was a specific approach/technique but what I got from it was that pushing just isn't necessary. the baby will find his way out : )
I was on my hands and knees when baby was born. I did not push AT ALL. he was born in three contractions, one for the head, two didn't seem to do much, third and out came his shoulders and then he slithered right out. I do remember breathing deeply, exhaling with each of those contractions.
I definitely think the position and not pushing helped protect my 'celes.

ah, little guy is crying, gotta go

Thanks for responding to my question about laboring Granolamom. A lot of women seem to say hands and knees is the best option for them. Good to know that not forcing the pushing helps too. It certainly makes more sense, and Christine's book confirms the reasons for it.

to find the time to keep us updated. And with such wonderful news! I'm delighted for you. And hopeful for me! (due in under 6 weeks).
I couldn't arrange a homebirth, your post has given me a further impetus to fight for my rights to a natural birth in hospital.
Thanks again.

wow, 6 weeks already?! It goes so fast when its someone else,lol
I hope you're feeling well and that you get the labor/birth you want. will you have someone with you who will be supporting your wishes for the kind of birth you're planning?

Yes everyone tells me it's flying along!! I have a very supportive partner who knows my wishes. My last birth went great except for 20 mins forced pushing at the end; not gonna do that this time!

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't seem to have any significant worsening of my prolapse after the delivery of baby#2. It first presented about 8 weeks after baby#1 and wasn't an issue during the pregnancy. #2 turned one in March and during the past two months I have a general sense that possibly it is a bit worse. Overall the rectocele bulge (self diagnosed stage 2 for clarification purposes) seems more visible. I had never done a self-exam in which I knew what to feel for until after #2 so I don't know if the cystocele was present before or not but I now seem to have what I would call a stage 1 and my cervix is a bit lower than I seem to recall but is not visible.
Ok so what's my point? Well if my prolapse is worse after baby #2 it isn't significant enough to have made any difference in my daily life or management of the symptoms. The "appearance" of the prolapse changes so much over the course of a typical day that perceptions of worse or better are largely subjective. I definately don't regret going into a pregnacy already having a prolapse. It is also difficult to assess what causes subtle or even not so subtle worsening of symptoms. I have made the decsion to live my life and engage in the activities I love and manage this condition. Fortunately Christine's work has been very helpful with my ongoing goal of stabilization. I also a found a post by I believe it was Alemama that very clearly stated how bad the prolapse could get. Looking at it that way took away the power that worrying about it getting worse had over me. Ok so it has worked for more days that not! So whether the question is to get pregnant again or whether to up the activity level or go on vacation I'm rediscovering a new sense of trust in my body.

Hi Mouchoir

You go for it, girl! You and your baby will only have this birth experience once, it is *your* birth experience, not the hospital's, and *you* will take home the results, not the hospital.
Just make sure they know beforehand what you want and make sure that they understand. You could write it down for them in dot points before you go into labour, so you can give them the piece of paper for reference when you arrive at the labour ward, and can concentrate on what you are doing instead of trying to explain it to them when you need to have your mind on the labour itself.

Good luck and good wishes.

Louise

I intend to write my wishes out in terms even doctors could understand!!