Varying BMs

Body: 

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my question. I am trying to get my BMs regular but at the moment I seem to fluctuate between them being too soft and too hard. I can't seem to get a good balance. I'm not sure why this is happening as my diet is reasonably regular. I'm taking a teaspoon of psyllium each day on my physio's advice. I've also cut out grains as she suggested and peel my apples. I have vegies with dinner every night and eat two or three pieces of fruit a day (at least one apple) and sometimes prunes. I do eat a lot of breads, cereals, pasta and rice. I'm a vegetarian but I do eat a lot of cheese and I have eggs.

Also, my physio advised me not to eat nuts yet they've been mentioned as being beneficial on this site. Not sure why she said to cut them out then?

Hi,

Sometimes BM's are hard to regulate, especially for those of us with our prolapse problems. My suggestion, which is simply my opinion, would be to back off on the cheese. It has always been known to be a "hiney binder". I have never been able to take psyllium - too much fiber, I guess, it always seemed to back me up or cause cramping. You also may be getting too much wheat as in the bread and pasta. Many times I use lettuce in place of bread if making a sandwich - seriously - it works. Also, I eat nuts any chance I get and don't seem to have a problem. Possibly, you should play with the amounts of what you eat just to see if you can regulate yourself a little better. Do you eat organic foods? We find a lot of little problems have cleared up in our bodies, simply by switching to organics. Can't believe the healthy glow my husband now has!! We also use a certified organic probiotic that works very well for us.

I hope I've given you some thoughts to ponder and hope things can change for you. Let us know.

Take care and blessings,
Grandma Joy

I tried psyllium at one point and it just didn't seem to work for me. What did work was when I started eated FlaxPlus flax cereal for breakfast every morning. That stuff is awesome and has a lot of health benefits from the omega-3s and whatnot. It tastes great too, I usually add a little splenda to it. Anyway, even my husband loves it and it has kept him regular too. Just be sure you don't buy boxes that are near or past the expiration date, flax is a fairly delicate thing and can smell like a permanent marker when it expires. I have found the cereal at most stores, but it seems to be cheaper at TraderJoe's, if you have one of those near you...
MichelleK
I should get paid for that, I sound just like a commercial!

Thanks for all those great suggestions. I’ll try all those ideas. I think the psyllium is causing me more problems than it’s solving. I eat loads of cheese and wheat-based foods so I’ll have a go at cutting those back for a while and see if that helps.

I’ll definitely get onto the flax – I used to have flax seed oil regularly and it’s great stuff. Would that be the same as having flax seed or the flax cereal? (not sure if you can get that cereal in Australia but I’ll check it out.)