What do I do now? (exercise guidelines, best ways to improve POP)

Body: 

I think this is part "bodywork" and part "lifestyle" so I'm not really sure where to put it.

I posted a while back, shortly after I noticed my cystocele. I read the book and watched the video. I sit a lot, so I consciously tried to sit in a better position more often. I tried to walk when I could (I have foot problems). To me, those seemed like the two biggest things I could do. In fact, I think it's very possible that one of the foot problems, which I've had for several years now, led me to the cystocele. I couldn't stand or walk for any length of time, which is obviously not the natural order of things.

Well, a few months ago, I developed another foot problem. So now I can't walk much. I don't forsee this going away anytime soon either. Since I can't do any weightbearing cardiovascular exercise, I've turned to cycling. I'm not comfortable with recumbant biking (which we know is bad for POP), so I'm using an upright (or sometimes spinning) bike. I often lean over. I'm not sure what effect this has on the cystocele. Recently however, I've noticed changes that make me think it's getting worse. I need to urinate more often, and I have to lean from side to side to empty my bladder (reminds me of when I was pregnant). So I'm a little concerned.

Given that I can't walk (or use the elliptical, stairs, etc) and I don't swim, is cycling an acceptable form of exercise? Is the effect of leaning over (think of cyclists on their aerobars) harmful? Also, since walking, one of the best things for POP, is no longer possible, what else can I do to improve it? I guess that's my biggest question here. What specific exercises (floor exercises or otherwise) have the most immediate effect on POP?

Hi Zandria

You talk about leaning over while biking. From what I have seen cyclists seem to bend over from the waist, rather than from the hips. Keeping the lumbar curve is the important thing, and bending from the waist will straighten it, not retain it. You might need to tip your seat forward.

There was some discussion of cycling some time ago, and particularly of bicycle seats, which seem to be designed for mens' bodies. Somebody did find a really good one on the Web which she found comfortable for her prolapsed organs. You could try a search in the search box to find these posts, as it may make your cycling more comfortable.

You have not mentioned the specifics of your foot problem. I hope you have sought help to get these properly diagnosed and treated. Life is not easy without full use of your feet, and it does limit your exercise options.

It may be a good time to start swimming if you have the facilities available. I guess you just have to work out what you can do by trial and error. You may need to compromise a bit, think a bit more laterally and use your imagination a bit more to just try things for yourself and see what you can do, then work with that. The importnat thing with all movement, sitting and standing at *all* times is to keep the lumbar curve, keep the chest high and relax the lower belly. Just work with that, whatever exercise you choose, and adjusts your equipment so that you can do these posture things.

Sorry I can't be much more help than this.

Cheers

Louise

Ok this is what I would personally do, whether it be good or bad for Cstocele I dont know - but if you only did it for a half hour interim shouldnt make a difference in my opinion..

You sit upright on your bike (Good if you have one in your house) and as well as legs turning - Push your arms UP (Push the ceiling up as they say) then when arms are tired - you can lean fwd and take he pressure off and then return to that over and over - This will help fitnesswise as long as you are always IN oxygen (Ie you can say 4 or 5 words wihtout being out of breath)

Thinking of posture i think tipping seat forward may cause problems as you are then trying to balance self by leaning backwards and this could give you backache.

I also have mobility issues and I just tailor my exercise around what I CAN do.

Trial and error - But I have found that 30mins a day makes no difference at all to my cystocele - or the other two sceles :-)

Good luck

Sue

Look into the eyes - They hold the key!
http://www.bringmadeleinehome.com/img/maddy544x150Banner.jpg

I've been contemplating buying a spinning bike, which is less upright than the regular stationary bikes at the gym.

This is one I'm thinking about:
http://www.startracusa.com/ps-61-7-spinner-pro.aspx

This is actually the bike I use at the gym:
http://www.startracusa.com/ps-58-7-pro-upright-bike.aspx

Sometimes I sit upright, but more often, I lean forward. I can ride harder and get my HR up better that way. The seat doesn't bother me at all. The spinning bike, which leans over more, and it's smaller seat (which can be replaced, I think) might be another story.

HI

I've recently developed plantar fasciitis, so it's been a sttp learning curve for me..

For excercise while my walking was compromised i swam, did stretches and yoga from sitting position or on my knees,and cycled, going on a kid's swing amazing for ciculation in the legs and body and fun :)

With everything i've been throwing at my feet (acupuncture, diet, herbs homeopathy, and soon new shoes (NAOT amazing shoes, plus craniosacral - where odd but kool lower pelvis things happened - things felt as if they physically pulled up !) the P.F is finally going (very hard one to shift!)

ANyone just my approach, and yeah i definaely concur when hte axis of the body shift's or the feet alignment goes outta whack all over..

Best wishes

Anne-helen