Alexander technique, Feldenkrais and orthotics

Body: 

Hi All

Rosewood made a comment, in another topic, about the Alexander Technique. Rather than sidetrack that thread I thought it better to start another one. I am also interested in trying Feldenkrais.

I get a lot of lower back and neck pain which may or may not be related to prolapses. I have therapeutic massage on an occasional basis. It does unfreeze all my spasming muscles after a few days, but the pain always comes back after a week or so. After a lifetime of injuries and different types of exercises, and now Wholewoman posture, I am wondering if I just need to learn to move properly all over again.

I purchased new shoes recently and the shop had one of those computer image generating things that tells you what your feet do when you walk. My arches are so high there was no evidence of the middle part of my foot even touching the ground as I walk, so there is no transfer from heel to ball of foot. It just hits heel, then hits ball of foot then transfers to toes as normal. I am also wondering if orthotics might make my gait a bit smoother. I have always been like this so I have no way of knowing if it feels different from anybody else's walk <:->

Has anybody with prolapses had any experiences, either positive or negative, about any of these three 'therapies'?

Cheers

Louise

I, too, have extremely high arches. when I walk, there is some transfer of weight alongside the outer edge of the foot, but mostly its heel to the ball of the foot.
I don't really remember my gait-analysis stuff, but there are some other PT's here ::::;where are you guys??:::::: and maybe they can shed some light.
is your gait unsmooth? I have a bias against orthotics but feldenkrais might really be a good direction for you. its all about learning to move your body in effecient, pain-free ways.
I'd pursue that before orthotics. jmo.

and chiro got rid of my chronic neck and shoulder pain, so that might be another idea.

I'm not sure about whether my gait is smooth or not. It is the only gait I have ever had. I do frequently go over on the side of one foot or other, which is a little disarming when I am just walking along and suddenly I disappear downwards.<:-o now="" that="" is="" painful="" and="" annoying.="" i="" am="" sure="" my="" ankle="" ligaments="" are="" totally="" shot="" after="" all="" these="" years.="" guessing="" trying="" to="" put="" more="" of="" the="" arch="" on="" ground="" transfer="" weight="" from="" heel="" ball="" centre="" gravity="" goes="" overboard="" outside="" edge.="" guess="" it="" means="" gait="" isn="" smooth="" at="" where="" think="" orthotics="" might="" come="" in.="">

I have had quite high builtin arch supports put in my ballroom dancing shoes because I was getting really sore balls of feet and toes. Great blisters and callouses. This has made dancing so much better. I can relax a lot more and enjoy it better, and dance all night now. They are about the most comfortable shoes I have.

What are your reservations about orthotics? I would get them made up by a podiatrist, not just buy them off the shelf.

I will pursue Feldenkrais. It is hard to know what the root cause of pain is, but giving the process a go, of learning to walk etc again, would be a good start. Even if it doesn't work, at least I will have tried it and corrected anything that is a problem in that direction.

I really don't want to unnecesarily have this degree of pain and discomfort for the rest of my days. My mother is 95 and her mother died just short of 105, so it's likely I'll be around for at least another 40 years. That's a lot of pain to look forward to. :-) I would rather sort it sooner than later.

As for the chiropractors, it seems to be the same as physiotherapists and therapeutic massage. I feel like a truck has run me over for a couple of days, then I feel good for a day, then the pain, stiffness and spasming begins again. I think I have financed significant lumps of real estate for several chiropractors over the years, and am no better off for it!

Sorry to be so negative about your kind suggestions. I am not dismissing them lightly. Thanks once again.

Cheers

Louise

I didn't mean that orthotics never have a place, they do.
I would prefer to learn to make better use of one's own muscle than rely on plastic, if at all possible. of course if orthotics can relieve pain to a degree to which nothing else can, then by all means try them!
I did assume you would have them custom made by a reputable orthotist, not off the shelf.
chiro is not for everyone either, feel free to shoot down any/all of my ideas. I don't take it personally : )

I don't like all this stiffness and spasming you describe. sounds painful. wonder where its all coming from.

and just wondering...re: the dancing shoes...are they heels or flats?
my feet start to hurt real bad if I don't get in lots of barefoot time. I also take care to stretch the muscles/ligaments inside the arch (massage mostly) every day. high arches require some maintenence, though I'd choose too high over flatfeet anyday.

I noticed your blog about Feldenkrais and how it pertains as a bodywork alternative and wanted to offer my input. I am a Feldenkrais practitioner and I am also a PT, certified in Pilates and strength and conditioning and I have found that Feldenkrais is one of the most sophisticated tools for wellness and learning. One of the many credits to this work is that it draws from the individual to heighten their kinesthtic awareness to allow them to make better unconscious decisions. This enables the many choices that we need to make with regards to movement and support to be internally monitored first and then new improved movement patterns can be self directed. The Feldenkrais website is very helpful at www.feldenkrais.com for practitioners and information.
Orthotics are a highly individual tool and what is very important is that they do not prohibit the sensation from the sole of the foot since it is the main source of grounding we have to the floor, etc. Feldenkrais can be very helpful with this issue since it addresses the whole system and assists with establishing good body support so there is less force directed onto the foot support, therefore allowing the foot to be enabled to process steps with gait.
I hope this is of some help for your readers.
Be well,
FeldyPT

Hi Granolamom

Yes the stiffness and spasming is a bit of a pain. It is not all the time, but is always worst in the mornings then loosens up during the day. I can live with it, but I would rather it went away.

I know I have some degeneration of cervical vertebra and at least three ragged lumbar discs, and a thouch of arthritis in lower back but this has been the case for some years. It hasn't been getting much worse, and I have had periods of time when it gives me no trouble at all. I have had physio therapy and been trained in exercises to build up the muscles that stabilise the pelvis and lower back, but it didn't do much. I did them religiously for at least three months.

It just seems to have flared up since I did the big flight Perth/Sydney/Los Angeles/New York and return cattle class, with only time to change planes in between stops. I know that sleeping on the plane upset my neck before I bought one of those neat blowup collar-cushion things, but I hoped it would all settle down again. I don't think hauling luggage around for three weeks helped either, though I travelled light.

Strangely enough I spent all day yesterday building a short length of fence, which took a fair bit of strength and a lot of movement and heaving rolls of wire around. Muscles are a bit stiff today, but apart from that I am not too bad. It just doesn't make sense.

Re the dancing shoes, they have 2 inch heels. I rarely wear shoes with heels, but these are great, but as they have suede soles I only wear them on the dance floor. I too get around with bare feet most of the time, and do a lot of stretches of everything I can, which at least takes the push/pull pressure off my joints.

Oh yes, I think I am premenstrual as well this week, so that is another factor.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I guess I will get to the bottom of it all eventually, I hope so anyway.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks FeldyPT

Am I right in hoping that gait problems will be identified by a Feldenkrais practitioner, then if orthotics are indicated I can organise the orthotics separately, once I have had some Feldenkrais sessions??

Thanks for your post.

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,

I have a couple of bulging lumbar vertebral discs which give me trouble from time to time though less since I gave up running marathons! (I guess there are some benefits to prolapse after all!:)

I see a chiropractor and seem to benefit from that but the thing that has really helped me is my inversion board which the chiro' recommended. When I am sore, (I am always worse in the mornings as well), I hang up side down twice a day for about half an hour. This really seems to relieve the pressure on the discs so that things settle down well. Hope that is something which might help you a little!

Hi Louise,
That is correct to address the function of gait with the Feldenkrais practitioner. There will be changes in how you make contact though the ground with your feet because you will be enabling a very internal process to make some adjustments because the whole body is learning how to be more efficient. Then, if orthotics are still appropriate your practitioner can work with you with a PT or DC that has orthotic knowledege to order the proper foot insert.
Good luck,
FeldyPT

Great stuff. Thanks so much, FeldyPT. My nearest Feldenkrais practitioner is 3 hour round trip drive away, so I am not taking it on lightly. Your reply is enough to get me started on my journey.

Cheers

Louise

I have just attended my first 'bones for life' class, which is based on feldenkrais theories. I found it aggravated my prolapse somewhat, e.g. Bouncing on the toes and straightening out the curve in my lower spine. I would be interested to know if feldenkrais has anything to offer the woman with prolapse, or if it is yet another system based on the male skeleton.

Jumping is great if you are doing it in excellent WW posture with lumbar curve in place, because you are throwing the organs against the lower abdominal wall. Jumping with a straight spine sends your organs exactly where you don't want them - down and back into the vaginal space. No thanks!!! - Surviving

Hi Louise! long time no see or hear ;-) Ive just logged on after a big break (various family reasons )
Was interested to read your post , given we share many similarities.
I went to a foot place too and had only heel and front of foot touch , as did my youngest son, who was then in his teens. We both have very high arches, and I also have a wide foot with straight toes ie across top . Ive seen two podiatrists in the past and have got two sets of the expensive orthotics made for me. Originally I wore them as much as possible, given they did not fit much of my footwear.
I had a chat with a personal trainer I use to see, who wore them too, but like me, over a few years he did not feel it was good for one's foot to wear them all the time. They use to make my feet ache , much like starting WW posture and exercises did. Getting use to another way of using one's feet and body.
Now I know when I need to wear them and when not. eg I have various dance shoes from soft sneakers to ankle boots to proper leather boots. Ive found that my expensive boots for dancing and motorbiking well support my feet now and no need for the inserts. But eg when I was walking an hour a day I put them in my walking shoes.
In my younger days I wore mainly high heels and before that pointe shoes for ballet.But when I became mum at home more in a multi level house flat shoes were easier and they started off my foot problems. AS they did not support the high arch. One podiatrist said that wearing high heels of a good fit actually would help my arch and Ive found that to be true. If im not careful in summer, then too much jandal/sandal wearing starts off problems with my feet.
It's Winter here now , very cold and Im wearing Ziera flat ankle boots and feel well supported and comfy in my feet.
Now Feldenkrais- I started classes well over 2 years ago. I think it's quite hard to explain the subtle ness of this body movement . And Ive found it to be a work in progress with what I see within myself. I started doing classes with an open mind and continue to do so. Like WW it is not a quick fix, but I am happy with how it fits together with other work Im doing and how it shows the flexibility of our brain and how we can apply that to other aspects of our life.
Ive been going to chiro's within the same practice for nearly 30 years. The one Im seeing most recent times is open minded and accepting of WW and read my first book, and he also asked me to read up about neuroplasticity as that is an interest of his.
I have a lower back curve(lordosis) and I need to watch that I do not over extend in WW Posture as I think that caused a lot of my original pain with the work I was doing from the dvds.
I have to run now to mind two little grandchildren, email me Louise if you want to discuss this further. Take care xx