postpartum exercise and Christine's video IMHO

Body: 

When I joined this site I was overwhelmed by all the information and advice. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money if I didn't have to. At first I was a little disappointed with the video because I expected it to be something I could follow along with (Jane Fonda anyone?) but after doing the exercises faithfully for a few months I decided that it was money well spent.
I graduated from UF with a degree in exercise and sport sciences- so I do not make this recommendation lightly.
The exercises contained in Christine's video are very good for postpartum moms.
I am now 9 months PP and I have started to do the exercises in the book instead-
but for all you women out there who wonder what exercise is good for prolapse and for getting back into shape the video is worth the money.

I've been needing a push to get back to exercise. I've been walking and firebreathing but that's about it. I think its time for more.

do you recommend the video over the exercises in the book? or in addition to?

After reading this site for a few days, I decided to buy the video. It was reassuring and made a lot of sense. A lot of the exercises Christine recommends are part of the yoga practice I do three times a week. What I've discovered is that the intensity of the yoga practice and the slow careful repetitions of the exercises on the video have helped a lot.

I teach in a unique early childhood program, and today we took 40 kids and parents hiking down into a box canyon for nearly five hours and because of the strenuous practices the prolapse didn't bother me at all. I thought this morning that the thing would be hanging around my knees when I got home, but it's actually better.

The sweat Bikrum yoga - yoga done in a studio at 101 degrees for 1.5 hours as often as possible and the follow up exercises from the video done throughout the day, and the posture are really and truly taking this thing away. For someone who is on their feet with 40 kids ten hours a day it's a Godsend.

I am absolutely delighted with the video. It's well worth the money.

Granola mom, the two are very different. The video is a short exercise routine, which only takes about 15 minutes. Very doable for a daily routine. I always feel great afterwards. The book's exercise routine is a ballet based routine that I believe takes about 45 minutes and IMO takes some practice to learn w/just the book as a guide. However, it too is a very good work out.

I also have both and love them both. However, I do the ballet workout more because I love it and the effect so much. It's just wonderful. It doesn't take that much time to memorize it to the music. Use them both. Especially with a new baby, do what you can when you can. Don't feel you have to do the whole ballet workout at one time. Some nights I only do less than half of it. Sometimes I just do the warmup, plies and tendus. Be creative. The ballet workout is incredible at strength building. I'm so much stronger than before I did it. It's taken a couple of months, but I can feel my whole system being retrained.

That's my two cents.

Marie

that's me these days
don't know what's up with that.
don't feel like exercising much, cystocele's been bulging bad this week and I'm tired and whiiiiny.
going to order the video and promise myself to spend 15 min tomorrow with the ballet ex's in the book.

I'd be so lost without all of you

{{hugs}}

I like the video for early postpartum because the exercises are so gentle. Many are seated or on all fours. The book exercises are all mostly standing and are just a little more challenging.
If you don't want to exercise REST. Your baby is so little and you have forever to get back into shape.
I would recommend walking every day though. For me that really helps to regulate my mood and any blahs I might be feeling.

I spent some time this morning with the ex's in the book, felt gooood.
I am walking most days, I'm pretty religious about that, definitely helps keep my mood positive. Its getting pretty humid here now so I might have to come up with an alternate plan, either treadmill or mall-walking, we'll see.
I'm not in a rush to get into shape as much as I am to get the cystocele back where it was. but you're right, I should probably slow down. I should take my own advice ; )