hot flash relief.......aaahhhhhh!

Body: 

Waking in the night every hour, soaked. Getting dressed to go out for the day, twenty minutes later, soaked. Fanning myself, turning on the AC, drinking ice water. I had had enough! My doctor suggested a very low dose prescription to remedy hot flashes: effexor. I hesitantly took the prescription home and thought about it for a few days. Finally, I relented. Within 24 hours, it worked. Hot flashes reduced to a mere whisper. Can sleep again. Can wear a silky blouse without feeling like I am in a torture chamber!

Hi 9oxford

Have a look at this website or any other Effexor website. http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-e02.html#summary .

I hope you realise that this is an antidepressant, with all the other cautions and things that go with use of antidepressants. Curiously I could not find any references to use during menopause.

I would not be surprised if you were depressed, getting these regular drenchings, and I would guess that underlying depression might be at the source of your severe sweats.

Dr Margaret Smith and Patricia, in their book, Is It Me or My Hormones, 2nd ed. (Finch 2006) talk about the need to address other things going on in your life at menopause, as they can have a profound effect on how you experience menopause. Often women are prescribed inappropriate hormones at this time when the real cause of their bad menopause experience is in what is happening in their lives at the time. Dr Smith is an advocate of HRT but has been studying it and prescribing for half a lifetime. She uses it in a very sophisticated way after all the other things have been addressed.

If you are happy to take an antidepressant not usually prescribed for hot flashes, and prescribed by a family doctor (rather than a psychiatrist) I would think you might be better off to go to a good menopause clinic and have a full look at everything you are experiencing at the moment. I am sure that they would be aware that many menopausal women feel very 'not OK' about all sorts of things and would recommend counselling to explore other issues you may have, without even being aware of them. Then think about what you are going to take, whether it be Effexor, a different antidepressant, herbal remedies, homeopathic remedies or whatever.

To jump into antidepressants just because they work sounds like a doctor-driven shortcut to make you happier.

Sorry if I seem to be down on you. It is not personal. I have experienced inappropriate antidepressants and found other drug treatments that work better for my condition. I am just a bit cautious when I hear women talking about how wonderful they are. Yes, they can be wonderful, but they are powerful, mind-changing drugs that have strong effects on your body as well. They can be a bit like swatting a mosquito with an elephant gun when a handslap will do the same job without all the smashed china. Just have a think about it, and do some reading before embarking on several years of happy pills.

Does anybody else have any hints for hot flashes. I may need them one day soon!!!

Cheers

Louise

Hi

Susun weed has a great book on the menapause called "menapausal years" . She's a well regared herbalist and the book is fab. I'm 37 and haven't had to use these remedies yet, but it was very interesting and i've heard great reports.

Natually i'm gonna suggest acupuncture and chinese herbs too! But as ever they cost and there's a lot we can do for ourselves with a good local library for free.

As for depression med's. My mum's best friend went on them 6 months ago - a fit lady in her sixties. Had a fall last month and broke lot's of bones, fractured verterbrae etcc.. Then i read this week that there is a 50% increase in fractures during depression med use!

I'm aware of the serious side effects of these toxic medication's but it really affirmed my belief that these med's really aren't to be taken lightly.

Just my ten cent's worth

xx
Anne-helen