Toning exercises

Body: 

Hi everyone,

I know the exercises in the book are good for stabilising prolapse. My question is: What additional exercises can I safely do to tone my buttocks and thighs which won't make prolapse worse?

Are buttock clenches bad for prolapse?
Also: lying on side, and raising one leg at a time to tone outer thighs - is that bad for prolapse?

If so, what toning exercises can I do?

I'm thinking of buying the DVD; are any of the exercises on that good for toning my pear-shape as well?

Also, I read somewhere on the forums that an updated DVD is being made - when is that likely to be available to buy?

One more thing: I read somewhere on the forums about obtuse angles being bad. But I think I also read that those kneeling-chairs are good. But don't kneeling chairs create an obtuse angle? Just wondering.

Sorry about so many questions - I just want to get things right and not do further damage with wrong exercises etc. Thank you.

Beejay

the exercises you mentioned are all fine. The DVD exercises do tone the lower body- but if you have the book it has a "better" work out in it as far as whole body tone goes.
Use the search box to find information about exercise forum users are doing.
and I have no clue about the chair- but I think it does not promote an obtuse angle.

Hi All

I have heard about this obtuse angle thing for a long time, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Can somebody please remind me??

Cheers

Louise

ok, I'll admit it too. I never really understood the thing about obtuse angles either.
I mean I do get why certain exercises aren't great for prolapse (such as situps, crunches, etc) but like you point out, kneeling chairs do create an obtuse angle and I like the way that feels, prolapse wise.

as far as buttock clenches or toning outer thighs, as long as you're not feeling pressure on the prolapse, I would think its fine.
the thing that works best on my pear-shaped body is going up and down stairs (with good posture of course). we have a ranch so I don't do that much, but I used to go to the mall in the winter, take a walk around and then go up and down a couple of flights. oh the burn! but it tightens up that bum real good.

Thanks everyone, for your replies.

Regarding the obtuse angles: Under the original thread 'What kinds of exercises are appropriate after Cystocele and Rectocele diagnosis for general fitness?' by BritB. Christine posted an answer to that question where she says that right angles (90deg)are good. (Sitting with straight spine and legs outstretched). Acute angles (less than 90 deg) are also stable. But obtuse angles (greater than 90deg) destabilise pelvic contents.

But if using a kneeling chair, I thought the angle created would be greater than 90deg. ???

And if a 90deg angle is good (legs stretched out in front), is sitting in a chair in a 90deg angle okay? Why do the legs have to be stretched out in front?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

Beejay

Thanks granolamom, I'll do more stair-walking! Our stairs are narrow, so I can't get my heel on the stairs going up, but it's probably still beneficial for the bum.

Beejay

Hi Beejay

Thanks for that. I was really tired last night when posted that, and just couldn't make myself trawl for the answer.

With the right angle chair, I think it has to have some woman bum space between the back and seat for you to be able to actually sit in a right angle shape. Many chairs seem to be designed for man bums and don't leave enough bum room to keep the angle correct. I figure that the best way to do it is just to treat as many chairs as possible as stools, sit forward in posture, and just pretend the back is not there. :-)

I would love to be able to sit on the floor with my legs out straight, but cannot do it these days (lumbar disc problems), but I am working on it. I think legs out straight is quite good for keeping the hamstrings long which allows the pelvis to keep its slight forwards tilt, which in turn keeps the pelvic organs forward of the pubic bone. I think legs out front also encourages use of all the little muscles in the pelvis to work at supporting posture too, instead of just leaving it to the back muscles.

I figure I am better sitting properly on a chair with legs bent than I am on the floor with legs out front with the result that I am putting too much pressure on those discs and stuffing my posture completely.

With the kneeling chair I think it has to be fully adjustable so that the angle of the seat allows you to keep a less than 90 degree angle between pelvis and femur, ie you don't slouch. Also the angle of the knee pads and the distance between them and the seat probably needs to be adjustable for different upper leg lengths. So the answer is probably yes or no, depending on the knee chair dimensions and angles for each person.

I think you get to know what is OK or not for your own body after a while, just keeping in mind the posture principles, and being aware of whether or not you can feel "the lump/s in the vagina". If the lump is there you need to adjust position or shift to another chair.

Or if the problem appears to relate to increased intraabdominal pressure, fix the cough, loosen clothes round your belly, use your muscles differently, do the task a different way, get help, change the exercise routine etc.

Cheers

Louise

Obtuse angles = greater than 90 degrees. Has anyone sat for several hours in a kneeling chair? Ergonomics is the science of trying to make unanatomic positions comfortable for the body, but it doesn’t always work nor is it necessarily healthy. Kneeling chairs allow your torso to remain in proper posture (lumbar curve in place) by cutting the obtuse angle off at the knees. This feels great on the back, but is hell on the kneecaps after a while. I got rid of mine and am back to my (“ugly”, husband says) low, wide cushioned stool that I can sit on either cross legged, straddled, or in a right angle.

P.S. actually, these are not so great on the back either due to the slightly tilted seat which makes you have to work to keep the full amount of lumbar curve.

Thanks Christine and Louise, that's a great help. I probably won't invest in one of those kneeling chairs. I'll concentrate on the posture work recommended in the book.

With ordinary dining chairs, I tend not to rest my back when sitting in them - I automatically sit in the right posture now. Now I just need to practice to get the walking right...

Beejay