sorry if TMI

Body: 

okay. a bit gross, but who can i turn to!!!! i am almost 12 weeks postpartum (can't believe it)...and my little bugger actually slept for two four hour stretchs last night!!!! yay! he had been up every 2 hours. anyway, to get down to business. i have been wearing a pad consistently since birth...at first for post partum stuff, then urine leakage, and now both of those seem much better, however i have a clearish whitish thin discharge that leaks out. it is different than my monthly discharge during ovulation, but is it possibly my body trying to get back in sync??? just curious.

Hi Jsnyc

After your baby was born your body went into a stage is has probably never been in before, that of being a woman who has given birth, but not yet ovulated. So you are in a slightly different hormone world too.

IMHO *menstruation* is like a mini-labour, then for the next approx 2 weeks your cervix will firstly produce ordinary thin, watery mucousthen it will change nearer ovulation to become clear, thin, stretchy mucous, then ovulate on about day 14. Then if there is no fertilisation the mucous will quickly go cloudy and a little thicker and drier, then menstruation will happen 2 weeks later.

The parallel is that you are kind of in a long pre-fertile mucous stage, having not begun menstruation yet (if I remember correctly). This may explain the consistency of the discharge. As you have just weaned your baby, menstruation could be just around the corner, lucky you! ;-) And the mucous could be thinning to fertile type mucous over the next few days. It will be interesting to see what happens. I really can't remember what happened after my babies, but I did learn Natural Family Planning (via a Roman Catholic Church agency) so that's how I learned about different mucous consistency during the menstrual cycle.

Come to think of it NFP could be another ace up your sleeve in the contraception question, to back up your withdrawal method.

If you are getting close to ovulating again, just remember that many woman, me included, experiencea worsening of prolapse symptoms a few days before menstruation. If this happens, don't worry, it happens to some, and goes away again once menstruation is underway. Just do what you can in the way of posture and watching your diet and clothing etc, as normal to minimise it.

Look, I may be talking through the top of my head with all this, but it seems to me to be a plausible explanation. See your doctor if in doubt.

Some other new Mums may have personal experiences which will debunk or support my theory.

Cheers

Louise

your the best. thanks.

louise's theory sounds plausible to me
I find that while bf, my hormones (and discharges) tend to vary depending on how often I am feeding (growth spurt, introduction of solids, etc). so its entirely possible that your body's reacting to the weaning and this is a pre-ovulation thing. that'd be my guess.

and congrats on the four-hr stretch!