more bizarre insights and questions...

Body: 

if anything i can keep you all entertained, or grossed out. okay 13 weeks postpartum now. stopped breastfeeding two weeks ago. amazing how long it takes your "woo hoo" to repair itself, but 48 hours after breastfeeding your boobies are back to a flattened version of the prepregnancy state....wow, how unfair is that!!!!
so the labia tissues have plumped up, and things look a bit more normal. so here is the weird question....when crabs lose a leg, it grows back. i continue to peak at my vagina, and it appears (maybe wishful thinking), that there is some new tissue at the vaginal opening. it is not the cystocele, who continues to peak at me, and sometimes appears better. is it possible that new vaginal tissue forms, or is that tissue just which perhaps folded down and became noticable due to the vagina being somewhat prolapsed, which maybe wasn't noticable while i had lower estogen levels?
another thing. burning sensation. i keep questioning whether it is my bladder/urethra or the vaginal entry. can cystoceles cause burning of the vagina, and why??? sometimes i think it is a sort of cystitis as a result of drinking wine or coffee or many of those wonderful bladder irritants which are to be avoided. i don't think it is a bladder infection (have had many of those), because it doesn't get continually worse...is on and off and doesn't seem to bother me much at night when i am laying down.
thirdly, put a tampon in...just to see the effect on the cystocele and whether it could be used in certain "special" situations to reduce the hanging, as well as when i eventually get my period. don't know the answer to that yet, but upon pulling it out (had to do it with mirror just to check), it seemed that the cystocele was tugged a bit with it...and i can't imagine that is a good thing??? i am a grade 2, and don't want tampon wearing to pull the damn thing out. anyone with cystocele regularly using tampons??
also, maybe wondering if my pads that i wear (every damn second of the day), although changed often could be causing burning. alright, enough of my blah, blah blah, any thoughts???

and not only for the entertainment factor!
we are the only ones talking about prolapse in this way. so all of our collective experiences are important right now. so please do continue to share

re new tissue...not sure what that could be

re burning....also not sure. you might want to avoid the irritants you mention for a bit and see if that helps. or ask your dr. I'm super paranoid about uti's these days

re tampons....I've used them without problems. never thought about pulling on the cysocele. maybe lean over when you pull it out? I would think that would move the cystocele out of the way

re pads.....personally, I hate pads. I find them irritating and uncomfortable. I made cloth pads for postpartum use this time around and omg, what a difference. I highly recommend.

thanks again. yeah, the new tissue. what the heck is that!!!

so, it seems since you have not had the burning..it isn't just due to a cystoceles existence, but something is the cause. i am going for biofeedback, so maybe i will see if they can test my urine and do a swab of my vagina. maybe i have some lowgrade vag infection. i do have some clear discharge and just assume it is a normal discharge, but maybe not. it will be a relief to find that there is a "cause", and have one less thing bothering me. i won't give up the coffee and alcohol yet...can't cut everything or i won't know what it is..lolol. i will just stay super hydrated and stay away from citric acid (also multivitamins have asorbic acid), and change to a natural pad. unfortunately i have to wear a pad due to some leakage. i hate pads also, and look forward to a future without them one day.
like the idea of leaning while pulling out the tampon!!! i am so glad i ask this stuff!

I finally cut out caffeine two years ago (well, 2 years, one month and a week but who's counting).
aside from other benefits, I stopped having menstrual cramps. and I had never before had a period without cramps.

I love love love my coffee, and I miss it. not only the boost from the caffeine but the flavor, the experience. dh and I used to grind and brew a pot of coffee every morning. we took it very seriously, lol.
but now that I've seen how good I feel without it, I wouldn't go back.

just a thought..

well tonight i did all of the no no's. a large glass of red wine, and spicy food. i will drink lots of water and see how the burning is tomorrow before i have my COFFEE!!!!! i know, actually i use to drink primarily decaf (which i heard has acids in it also), but due to the sleep deprivation i do a bit of the full caf and don't know if i am ready to give it up until my little pumpkin sleeps more. yeah, coffee isn't just for the buzz...it is a ritual, the beans, the smell, etc. etc. i know it may be something i need to give up in the future. my brother gave it up because of palpitations...so i could be next.
i can't believe no one else has anything to say about my questions. makes me think it is not cystocele related but some kind of irritant or infection.
ps...granolamom. i believe you have 4 children???? at which point did you start having problems. my baby is an invitro baby, but even if it were easier for me to get preg, i don't know that i could go through this again, and possibly have it get worse? how did you do it?

alright I will give your questions a go. I think if I were seeing new tissue at the opening I would be freaking out- not wishful thinking. Have you done the self exam? I do not think new tissue forms anymore than the natural sloughing off of dead skin cells etc. I haven't responded to your stop breastfeeding plumper tissues because in the long run I think it is better to keep menstruation away as long as possible estrogen not withstanding. When I want to plump the tissues I increase blood flow. Estrogen plays a major role in healing of tissues but it can only go so far.
I get the burning sensation too. At the end of the day- goes away when I get in bed. funny- recently I thought my prolapse was worsening - because of the burning- and finally realized I was experiencing my first yeast infection. But I think the burning at the end of the day is due to stretching out of the delicate tissues.
I wouldn't use a tampon for support- try the search function for sea sponges- granolamom gave good advice on the leaning forward to prevent tugging on the tissue and the cotton pads.
You are so so early pp. 13 weeks is nothing. Give your body more time- I am talking years here. Enjoy your family. get lots of rest.

Could be the pads, or more specifically the buildup of urine on the pad, giving you 'nappy rash'. I have been told that nappy rash is actually caused by the ammonia in the urine reacting with faecal matter, producing an acid which does the burning. Make sure you change the pad regularly.

Sanitary napkins have different types of outer layers, some being perforated plastic, some kind of fibrous stuff. They also sometimes contain perfumes which may cause sensitivity. Incontinence pads may be the same. It would probably go away at night because your cystocele, and possibly urethral opening, is not resting on the pad, so is not contacting the concentrated urine deposit. Also you may not be leaking at night.

Could you go without the pad at night adn give your vulva a rest and some ventilation? Or make sure you install a new pad just before bedtime. Also you could try using a good thick nappy rash cream, or Wholewoman salve. You might find that you only need to use the cream early in the morning and afternoon, and it will keep it under control.

Good luck. It makes you realise why babies cry sometimes.

Cheers

Louise

i will see doc tomorrow and hopefully at least rule out uti etc. but i am curious, everyone talks about postpartum recovery taking along time. that at 13 weeks it is early for me, and i have a lot of time to heal. what exactly happens internally as part of the post partum recovery??? do the organs rise up more during this period on there own??? docs always talk about your uterus returning down to its position after childbirth...never heard of everything rising??? or are you all just talking about improvement with posture, etc? i need a better understanding.

your body has tendons, ligaments, muscle, bone, hormones, etc.....that change during pregnancy. the muscles in your abdomen separate by inches sometimes and the muscle fascia moves and stretches. your pelvis moves- your intestines rearrange- all sorts of crazy things happen. It takes quite some time for it all to go back. returning down: I believe this is in reference to the top of the uterus shrinking down in size to meet the bottom- not so much pushing down.
I am 11 months pp and my ab muscles still haven't knitted back together totally. I know they will with time though.
The work of the posture is to help everything align back into place pulled there by the crown of the head and the force of the breath.

Hi jsnyc,

I haven't much time here but search my numerous past posts if you like because for me my uterus certainly "rose up" in the weeks and months post partum after being at the vaginal opening originally. I think this is what is meant by post partum healing taking time. I no longer have a prolapsed uterus at all apparently which is of course good news!

I still have softish front and back vaginal walls which bulge somewhat when I bear down, but I have even seen improvement with the tone of the front wall the past few months after increasing various exercise. Who knows if this is still part of post partum healing? I am now 19 mos post partum.

It is different for everyone but it really is ludicrous for all the books to state the "6 week rule". There was no way things were as good as they are now for me then, or even at 13 weeks. Like Alemama said, it takes a while, sometimes a long while, and things will never be the same as they were before. Those babies do cause permanant changes but they are changes which we can learn to be OK with. Hope that helps a little! :)

first, I don't think a few hrs is a fair trial to see if its the caffeine. so if you still have the irritation before your am coffee, that doesn't mean its not the coffee. I'd think you'd need a few weeks without so the irritation could heal first. just my opinion.

I am severely sleep deprived as well. without the caffeine buzz I'm forced to nap when I can during the day and go to bed as early as possible. probably better for me that using a stimulant to get through the day

and yes, this baby is number four for us. I found my cystocele when our third was about a year and a half. I'm sure it was developing before that, but I didn't find it till then. I thought I wouldn't be able to have more children, or at least wouldn't be able to want to risk worsening of prolapse. but here's the amazing thing. even though I didn't improve much at all, I felt so much more confident in my body through implementing this posture that I felt certain that not only could I stabilize my prolapse but that even if it got a bit worse I'd be ok. goodness, that's an awkward sentence. sorry.

now that my baby is 4 months (yours is about the same if I recall correctly?) things are bulgier. but I'm not too worried this time, I know that its early. no worrying until baby's birthday!

on a very positive note, I started doing the ballet exercises in the book, not all of them as I am soooo out of shape, 3X per week and I am seeing a difference. I can feel things lift with the plie's and that makes my day : )

i did ponder about this during the day today. it takes 10 months for our body to stretch to this unbelievable limit. all organs out of whack...that i must understand that it won't go back to normal overnight. thanks so much for helping me with this.

wow ukummy....this is also what i want to hear...not having prolapsed uterus at all!!!! at present the cystocele seems a bit better much of the time. i have a heaviness on my perineum....so i don't know if things shifted or if it is also a rectocele which the doc didn't make much mention of. when i feel up there...the cervix definitly seems lower, but i don't know if the cystocele pulls it down..or if the uterus is pressing it down. either way, i want to stay hopeful that i will be 80% better with time. thanks.

granolamom...
you always amaze me with your positive outlook. this crazy experience makes it seem bizzare to me to ever want another child. so i give you such credit for your strength in knowing you will be okay no matter what. yes, my child is 13 weeks, so right behind you. i look forward to hearing your posts and ways you may enlilghten me. (lighten is a good play on words when it comes to that damn bulge!!!!). as for the coffee etc. i will keep ya posted.

workout. Just want to echo my experience that the ballet workout is a treasure. I have used it consistently since it came out -- I mean I've done it consistently, like a few times per week. and, it makes a big difference in my symptoms the next day. I agree with you, granolamom about the plies. Yes, big difference. I'm going to the sporting good store to get weights for my arms to use with it. Any recommendations on how much weight to start with? Christine? Yes, my next goal is body-building... NOT. But, my midwife told me a story about a woman who reversed prolapse by becoming a body builder. It's been done!

Blessings to all for a great day,

Marie

jsnyc, I get that burning too. On and off. It starts suddenly for no apparent reason. Now I think about it, it seems to occur mainly towards the end of a day. Washing the area and sitting in a tepid or cool bath just before bed seems to help a bit.

I don't drink any caffeine at all. I do like Redbush tea (which is caffeine-free) although I suppose that may be acidic - I'm not sure. I try not to have foods that are too spicy, although a mild curry now and then seems to be okay. I take cranberry capsules to hopefully safeguard against UTIs. Seems to be working so far.

Laying down for a while helps.

Beejay

Dear Marie,

Sorry you had to ask twice about the weights. I hurriedly looked yesterday for the previous post where you asked and couldn’t find it. I’ve been sewing (organza – aaaaakkkk!!!) for a friend, which has put me over the top.

At the Center we do the barre program and then move to the center of the room where we do a series of exercises that build on those we learned at the barre, but emphasize balance and some locomotion. It is here that we use one pound ankle weights and the baton. We don’t add any more weight to the arms, as holding the baton overhead with straightened arms, shoulders down, and crown of head pulled up seems quite enough. We always have to stop periodically along the way to shake out the arms because this is quite strenuous exercise. I have a theory that for many of us our form has kind of oozed down and out and adding weight to the outstretched far extremities while doing exercise specifically designed to reinforce the posture helps to wind our muscles and viscera back up and in. That seems to be the effect, anyway, which you are experiencing as well. I take care that we do exercises that place little stress on our ankles while we have the weights on, because I think running and jumping around in ankle weights can risk injury. After about 15 minutes of this we remove the weights and baton and do a series of jumping, leaping, skipping, and dancing exercises – again all devised to reinforce the basic body posture learned at the barre. It feels really wonderful to compare the lightness and ease of moving in our unweighted body.

We use ballet music at the barre, but for the remainder of the program powerful Celtic, African, rock, etc. Maximum leg lifts closing in fourth position across the floor while trying to remain relaxed and pulled up into the posture yet move nothing but the working leg is very intense and beneficial exercise.

Hope this helps!

:-) Christine

hey beejay. yeah, it is on and off, which makes me think it isn't a uti. it seems less today so far...so i will see. i did have a margarita last night, so i don't think it is all alcohol, but may be red wine (which would be a shame). also alemama had mentioned that maybe it is the stretching from the pressure of the prolapse. that sounds like a posibility also. seeing doc today.