Newly diagnosed with questions

Body: 

Hello ladies, I have just been diagnosed with a rectocele and a cystocele.I am 5 wks post partum to a beautiful ababy girl , and I have 3 other girls.Yes , 4 girls!LOL.My gyn doesn't seem to think that it's serious,but of course to me it is.He told me to do Kegel's and in time,it should get better.I do not know what grade it is,but it's not hanging out,it's not right at the opening,but if I look in the mirror I can definitely see it.He said it shouldn't be causing a problem , but I definitely do feel heaviness.My questions are, am I going to have problems with the "s" word(sex,how dare I think of that now!LOL)?It just seems that since there is "things" in the way it would cause a problem.Dr says no,but I wanted to ask someone with experience.Also, as for menstrual cycles?Are they the same as before?I am so confused and angry with all this.I am trying to stay positive, but it's hard.Any help would be greatly appreciated.TIA.
~Cheryl~

No it shouldnt cause a problem with sex or menstruation etc

Just get into posture and all should be well :-)

For the first year post partum your body is getting back to normal and is healing itself - Si things will get better than they are now :-)

The posture (In FAQs) will help your body return to a natural posture and will help to structurally get the body back to where it should be

All will be well and welcome

Sue

Look into the eyes - They hold the key!
http://www.bringmadeleinehome.com/img/maddy544x150Banner.jpg

Hi Mommyof4

No, a prolapse or two won't make much difference to sex or menstruation. Those 'things' you refer to are like bags of jelly in the pelvic area. They just move around and get out of the way if they need to during sex. ;-) You might just find that tampons won't stay in. If a woman has surgery for prolapses the organs are no longer free to move around freely as they are sutured in unnatural positions and there is scar tissue formation as well. That is when they are likely to get in the way during sex and cause pain, either acute during sex or chronic at other times.

It is often hard to pinpoint exactly when your prolapse becomes noticeable. Pregnancy, birth and your body's return to its prepregnant state means that the body is in a constant state of change for a few years while you are having babies. There are also the monthly changes we experience confounding the whole perception.

From what I have read on this Forum, prolapse seems to be pretty common in the first weeks and months after childbirth but it does generally recover well if you give it a helping hand. There are exceptions of course, where there has been an obstetric injury that has not healed properly. Perhaps doctors don't even mention it a lot of the time because it *is* normal. The first indication I had that I had prolapses was when a gynaecologist mentioned it as part of an examination for a different issue.

The doctor told you to do kegals. Just don't do too many or those poor little muscles will get very tired and everything will sag more. The kegals will wake up your pelvic floor muscles and give them back some tone after the stretching of birth, which will enhance your sexual enjoyment and help to keep your bladder under control. However, Kegals will not help with the prolapse. It is mainly coincidence that the pelvic floor recovers while women are doing postpartum kegals. The body will return to prepregnant state over the next twelve months or so, all by itself.

One of the very pleasant side effects of prolapses and doing Wholewoman work is that I have become much more aware of what is happening in my pelvic area, which means better sexual sensation. IMHO, if you totally ignore what is happening from the waist down it is not likely that sex will be very enjoyable. All the nervous system boffins tell us we can make nerve pathways work better by exercising them. Go for it. You only live once!

As Sue said, get your posture organised (see FAQ's on www.wholewoman.com) so that you are carrying your uterus and bladder over the pubic bone and not over the pelvic floor. That alone will take the downward pressure off your pelvic floor muscles. Pelvic floor muscles are a muscle type that is better able to let things out than to keep things in. They are not actually supposed to be horizontal as we see in (almost) all the pictures that have ever been drawn of female pelvic anatomy. They are more diagonal, sloping down at the front, when in proper female posture. Guess what? we were designed that way. It is a completely different way of looking at the way our bodies move.

Also make sure you don't strain on the toilet as that may cause further damage, and ensure that your clothing doesn' compress your abdomen and push everything south. This means don't try and get back into your prepregnant clothes until they fit you comfortably. (Oh, the temptation!!) Go for pregnant clothes for a while if you can still bear wearing them, or get pants or skirts in stretchy fabrics with plenty of stretch in the waistband. Hipsters are even better if you can live with a 'muffin top'.

Cheers

Louise

I found your information to be very reassuring, as you ladies are going through what I'm going through.All differnet degrees, but still the same.I am just heart broken over all this and still trying to adjust to it.As for the Kegel's, he has me foinf 15 in the morning,15 in afternoon, and 25 in evening,all held in for 10 sec,then release for 10 sec.I'm not sure if that's too many though.As for the hipsters, I have such a spare tire, it's not even funny so most of my things have "muffin tops" anyway.LOL.Thanks so much for all the info and the great advice!!!

do the stomach vacuum thing--look in the search function for the demo video. it's working for me. it does get better too.