Ballet workout questions

Body: 

Hi Christine

I have just done the ballet workout (phew!) and got to the last warmdown/stretch which is lying flat on my back. When I lay down like in the picture in the book my sacral area was very tense and there seemed to be a large gap between the floor and my lumbar spine, big enough to slide my whole hand under. Without making a big effort and having some discomfort I could not flatten my spine at all.

After a few minutes sitting up reading through it again I lay down again and my spine was much flatter.
1 What is this last one, other than just having a nice little lie down after working all those muscles?

2 Would you expect the tension at the end that I described, or have I been doing something wrong during the routine, like using my back muscles instead of pelvic muscles for all those bends?

Cheers

Louise

Louise,

Forgive the intrusion here.

I know that for every action in yoga, there is a re-action position. When you do a lot of cobra or other back bends, you need to follow it with downward dog or child's pose.

To re-gain the back flex after the ballet exercise, try pulling both knees to your chest and rolling from side to side slowly. Then try to do the "dead" posture again. It should help.

I know that after I do a standing back bend, the fall forward and wrap arms around legs and press face to shins reaction move is tough.

Judy

Change what you can change; be happy with what you cannot.

Thanks Judy

I don't know whether or not you are familiar with the ballet workout, but that opposite stretch is just before it. It probably means I didn't do that properly.

L
BTW I haven't forgotten your email

sounds like you have a lot of lower back tightness. The longer you lie there the more your muscles will relax- at first you can try to use a small pillow for support under your lower back. Give this work out time- and I wouldn't worry too much about flattening your spine-just get comfy in the position.