Relieving Discomfort During Pregnancy

Body: 

I'm at 9 weeks with baby number 2 now. I'm starting to feel uncomfortable going on walks etc. I'm about where I was at just after having my first bub again. I've ordered a prenatal cradle but there seem to be export problems with it getting here.

In the meantime I'm seeing the ob next week (I'm doing shared care with a midwife for homebirth). Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should ask about using a pessary?

Just wondering what other ladies have done during their pregnancies to help relieve the dragging of POP and/or urgency to pee? Any ideas on what helped would be greatly appreciated as I still like to be active with my toddler, go for walks and take my dance classes.

Thanks.

lets see.... I didn't have much more dragging in the beginning than I usually do right before getting my period.
the need to pee all the time, well, I just chalked that up to normal pg stuff. and went to pee all the time.
I was not very active in the beginning, as early pg fatigue hits me like a ton of bricks.
sorry I couldn't be more helpful

My ob said I could use a pessary but I was uncomfortable doing that while pregnant because it could cause contractions etc. so I just dealt with the uncomfortable feeling and used the v2 supporter (prenatal cradle). It helped for a while but in the last trimester it didn't really help anymore because the pressure was so much. Also I just wanted to say that during the second trimester the dragging feeling got better for a while so hopefully you have that too. Goodluck!

Thanks ladies, the prenatal cradle's on it's way so hopefully that will help.

I didn't know pessaries could cause contractions. I'm glad you told me that before I considered it.

I don't mind if I have to go to the loo all the time but I'm struggling to go for walks without feeling like I can't hold out - I think the V2 will help with that hopefully. It's hard to know how much is just the heavy feeling making me feel like I need to go, if you know what I mean.

Hi Mumwithone

That first few weeks can be a bit of a trial with your body adjusting to being pregnant in so many ways. With a few more weeks under your belt (so to speak) your tummy will stick out the front a bit more. Just let it, especially low down near your pubic bone. That will naturally tip your pelvis forwards with the extra weight out front so the WW posture will be easier, and your pelvic organs will have a little spot of their own, low in your abdomen, over your pubic bone. Think about what happens to a simple laundry bucket when you hold it up by the handle then put a full large softdrink bottle in the bucket leaning up against one side. The bucket tips towards the side with the big bottle.

During pregnancy your shape will go naturally into WW posture anyway, and it does get easier. At the very, very end as the baby's head engages the pelvis tips back again to open up your pelvic floor for the baby's descent.

After birth it is important to reinstate WW posture again to lock your organs back down into their proper positions. I think with horror now the efforts I went to to hold my tummy in and tuck my butt under just a couple of days after the birth of my babies. Here I am now on this Forum with three prolapses. Is there a connection? Maybe, but there were other major factors too, particularly with the first, birthed in the stranded cockroach position with feet in stirrups, forceps and big episiotomy.

Cheers

Louise

I did not find that my body automatically went into ww posture while I was pg. actually, once my uterus was definitely out of the pelvic cavity (say 20 weeks or so???) my pelvis did tip forward but the curve in my lower back wanted to flatten. I developed a curve a bit higher up the spine and found myself constantly hunching over at the shoulders.
once the ligament-laxity set in, all bets were off in terms of posture. I did what I could but knee-locking was somewhat inevitable and don't even ask me about my hips! it was not good.

so yeah, try to stay in good posture while pg, but also respect the changes that your body will make to accomodate a growing uterus.

I think what's more important is the postpartum posture. this time around I immediately resumed the ww posture, took a while to relearn but I know it helped keep things from getting worse.

Thanks Louise and Granolamom for talking about the posture. At this stage I still try to sit and walk well but I think morning sickness is making me very slack in that regard, and it doesn't seem so easy to maintain with the body changes. I am finding that walks really help with the dragging feeling though, so I try to get through that initial discomfort and walk every day.

Thanks for the advice on post-partum and pg. It helps to know what to expect. I'll get straight into going back into the posture after bub is born too. I read another post of yours Granolamom about how you went into posture then gradually resumed going walking etc and then doing the exercises a few months down the track - I think I'll follow your lead there. I'm also going to try for bedrest for the first two weeks like women in many other cultures do.

My first birth sounds very similar to yours Louise and I'm really looking forward to a natural, active, gentle birth at home this time. I was a bit disappointed that the midwife said to me she doesn't think active birth will make any difference to the POP and I'll definitely be worse and probably need a catheter after this baby. By the end of our chat though she seemed more willing to say she thought it's better than trying to push the baby uphill. I'm glad to have heard otherwise on this site so I can continue to go in with a positive attitude. If nothing else, I think the home birth will be a much nicer experience.

Anyway, I'm rabbiting on now. Thanks again for sharing your stories and advice.

active labor can most certainly make a difference. and I wish I had a delete button to wipe out that comment from your brain, the one about "I'll definitely be worse and probably need a catheter after this baby". that's hardly helpful.
THINK POSITIVE
you will have a beautiful and exhilirating homebirth which will leave you feeling healthy, strong and empowered. your prolapse will be no worse and you will pee just fine.
I say so, and what I say goes. I'm the Mommy : )

Granolamom, I really appreciate it. I've been working hard trying to picture a positive birth and afterwards and then I get comments like that and it gets harder to keep believing in myself and my body. I wish just one 'expert' would tell me I'll be okay and wouldn't harp on about how I'll need surgery after this baby.

I'm very lucky to have found this site. I think that's why I'm lurking here so much at the moment, people like you help me remain positive.

I love your affirmation, especially the last line that made me giggle "will pee just fine". I think that would be a great one to repeat to myself during my yoga relaxations.