Another side effect?

Body: 

I have been having a very embarassing bodily function lately, and was getting worried about it so of course I googled it, and read that it's a symptom of prolapse (of course!)
Does anyone else have air escaping from their vagina often? I feel it a lot, especially after exercising (lots of walking)
It's so embarassing, and annoying. I see my gyno soon, for my annual check up, and I don't even want to bother asking about it. They completely blew me off when I was scared when I first noticed my rectocele...they told me over the phone it was nothing!

When I saw them they told me i hasa slight rectocele and cystocele...but they didnt say anything about my uterus...and last week i was in a lot of pain, so i felt aroundand lo and behold, i could feel mycerix almost falling out of me. Guess they didnt think it was important to tell me that. (vent over)

ihearted, it you do a search on the forum for trapped air you will find some posts discussing this. Sorry for your troubles. It seems if it's not one thing it's another.

I find it amazing and disheartening, not to mention disrespectful, the way these issues are treated by the medical community. At least those I've seen of late. I don't know if they are more clueless or embarrassed but I've not found them terribly helpful at this point.

I hope you find some solutions that help or at least some tricks to help you manage things.

I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback from others. Kit

duh, i didnt see that search thingy, its very helpful :)

I have this problem occasionally. I remember one loud and embarassing moment in a yoga class after lowering my body from an inverted (shoulder stand) position. I suggest that you try using a tampon if you can keep one in - at least as a temporary solution to avoid embarassing noises in public! And try to keep a sense of humor about it (easier said than done, I know) - we're like human whoopie cushions (-:

J.

That is what I am wondering- when I do the ab isolation exercises air pulls in and rushes out forcefully- and I know it is coming in because everything is out of the way and open. So maybe it is a good thing when you are walking- maybe everything is starting to pull up and out of your vaginal canal-
I don't know-
I know if I hold my vagina closed (like during a shoulder stand when everything falls up) I can keep air out- ( by squeezing my legs and butt really tight and doing a kegal at the same time)- I wonder if you could do that same thing when you are walking.

For me it was just a series of experiaments in the privacy of my home- I just tried many different positions and tried to create the air vacuum and tried to prevent it. over and over until I figured it all out.
and how to tell if what is in will be coming out-

try this- stand with your legs apart and bend over and touch the floor ( best done naked and butt to a mirror) then grab each butt cheek and pull up and out- your vagina should pull in air- then try to figure out how to retain it- or remove it quietly.........
Isn't this so fun.
anyway I think air coming in while walking might be a good thing. I could be wrong.
I am one to lie on my back and pull air in and out like breathing- just for kicks- and I think it helps strenghen my vagina too.
Now you all know I am a total loon.

Subtitled, "What goes in must come out!"

Oh Alemama, Thankyou for that wonderful post about playing with your vaginaphone. I thought I was the only one loony enough to do this sort of thing. Hey, we may as well get some fun out of these damned prolapses, eh?

Cheers

Louise

you people should know better than to make a woman with cystocele laugh so hard. I just might pee my pants. And it will be all your fault : )

I like your suggestion for minimizing the embarrassment while out in public! However, for me, the whoopie cushion effect is a real mood killer while making love with my husband. Has anyone had any success managing this audible distraction during orgasm?
When I asked my gynecologist about this she laughed so hard I thought she might pee her pants!

I am also just started to get these air bubble feelings. I have over the last few weeks I think gone from mild symptoms to more moderate and I have a definate bulge sitting inside the opening, what was a grape I think has now turned into a ping pong ball size and now I have started to get the air bubbles from time to time. I can actually feel my prolapse before I even get out of bed in the morning now which really bums me out. This is really kinda freaking me out as I feel like my whole back wall is just disintegrating.

I did the stomach vacuum thingy the other day whilst I was lying on the floor and yep I sucked up a load of air and thank god I was alone at the time. I usully try and do that exercise whilst standing in the firebreathing position and I don't get that sucking up air problem.

heya, im new here too but i have had the noise you spoke about, i find it only happens if i am on my back, but if i lean up as i hear the first one it has stopped any more in that night? dont know if this will help

I was feeling like cr*p today, and now my son's gone to bed I started reading through some of these posts- omg I can't believe how cheerful some of you are about this stuff! Mind you some of you are a bit older and wiser than me...
I have the whole air bubble thing and can't figure out when why how at all...just become a beetroot and figure its 'another' symptom! No vagina trumpet yet (rotfl), but I'm sure it will get me in the middle of yoga one day.
This discussion has given me a belly laugh, and its great to find a laugh when crying seems to be the usual answer...thank you. Going to try and cheer up and get on with things.
Hugs to all,
bluemama

Hi Bonnie

1 I am so glad you have a gyno who can laugh!!

2 I take my hat off to anyone who can control anything during orgasm!

Orgasm is not the time for worrying about your table manners. It is a time for enjoying the moment, adn being a womaqn, rather than a lady. Hey you had an orgasm. Good on ya! LOL I doubt that you husband even notices the air! I bet the ability to produce vaginal air during orgasm is revered in some societies, as it's probably something only an experienced woman can do. They would be laughing their a*&es off at the idea of trying to stop it. LOL

Cheers

Louise

if i actually worried about the noises my vagina now makes during sex...i'd never have sex! hehe.
i think its just fine to make light of the situation, we've all cried and mourned our diagnosis, but I truly believe it made my prolapses worse, when I was constantly thinking of them and crying over it. I've felt much better now that I've embraced my body and the changes that came with giving birth. (thats not to say I don't have my awful days though)

Right after my baby was born (and last time) this was the most annoying symptom I had! People it always felt like bubbles had to be popped?? Gradually as I started working on the posture it has got better and better and now I only get it when I do certain yoga moves. Try laying on your back and cross your legs, then grab your feet and roll up!! WOW a lot of air goes in but I remember last time that it never happened anymore after doing the posture for a year.

I'm new here and I read every night til my eyes burn. I'm thankful to have found this site and need your wisdom. A little history: I'm 58 years old. Vaginal birth to 28wk fraternal twins flat on my back in 1977 due to premature rupture of membranes. I would only agree to pudendal block and local for epesiotomy. First child born easily (IF you can call it that; I thought my innards were outtards) but labor stopped and even after pitocin, contractions wouldn't resume. Second child's membrane artificially ruptured, 2 nurses pushed him out of my uterus while the Dr pulled him out by his head with forceps. It was a nightmare. I stayed in the hospital for a week and went home with no babies b/c they were so premature. Mortified by the condition of my post-birth body (age 21) I began running for exercise as it was the trend at the time. I gained 24lb with my pregnancy and lost 40lb in the 6weeks after delivery. I was also expressing my milk and freezing for babies so used exhorbitant amount of calories. Next child came by emergency C/Section 11yr later. Vaginal birth twins, 2lb 15oz and 3lb 7oz. C/S baby 4lb 10oz. Seems about the time I turned 50, I began to experience "undesired loss of urine" with laughing, coughing and sneezing. Tampons were not "fitting" correctly. I mention this to Gyn at age 52 (yes.... still regular menses) and after exam she tells me I have prolapsed uterus AND bladder. She recommends complete hysterectomy, TVT bladder suspension (collagen mesh) A&P repair. I go home and think about it for a year. I'm at stage 2 prolapse at that time. By the way, I'm an ex-OR nurse turned hairdresser, so I've been a standing profession for 40 years, and understand a LOT of what's going on with my body. Symptoms continue to worsen and sick a tired of STILL having monthly periods, I go back to Dr and exam reveals I've progressed to stage 3 prolapse and I agree to surgery at age 53. Woke up in hospital after surgery and felt like my life was returned to me!! Premarin, I guess...... It took a full week to learn body how to urinate again, and also learned the only way to fully empty bladder is to semi-stand over toilet and bend forward... Dr tells me do whatever it takes to void completely but try sitting longer on pot. Darn, I'd sit there 10min or until back of thighs would get circulation cut off, whichever came first. I'd come to believe that semi-standing to pee was a twofold godsend as I became expert in public toilets as legs never trembled, even with purse dangling from my neck. Well, fast forward 4yr. Experiencing air bubbles escaping my body vaginally. I agree to 2nd surgery as slight anterior prolapse is discovered and dr checks me under anesthesia for fistula and none found but she places "a few stitches" in anterior repair. Fast forward 1year (5yr now since original big surgery) and my main complaint is the darn air bubbles escaping me vaginally!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes a little difficult to pass stool and I really have to push. I remembered my mother having a problem with this and she said inserting a finger vaginally helped-- well I decide one morning (fearing the strain) to insert a finger and LOW AND BEHOLD I KNOW THAT'S MY BLADDER I FEEL IN IN MY VAGINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In utter horror and despair I do a little more self exam and have cried and cried over this. I have an appt with GYN on the 22nd of July and then think, for what? I don't think I will agree to any further surgery as I believe the last one was a total waste and unnecessary. I was NOT told no sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, bending over, or lifting after original surgery and fear I've done this to myself. My bladder is not outside of my body, but right there at the opening. I do not have sexual relations and haven't in 16 years, but pray for the day that, that might return. Is that part of my life totally over if I ever find someone again? I'm so distraught. I don't know what to do about the WW posture; I've seen the little free demo and attempt on my hands and knees and on my exercise ball. Yeah,.... my knees are shot too from the running and standing and am into Synvisc regime now. Sorry so long but felt whoever reads this needs the background. Thank you--

I guess I left out that I believe the running after birth is what started my prolapse woes. Tissues not allowed to heal from stretching then I enforced gravity's cruel work. I also was a body builder for a time and lifted weights. Please advise.

Hi sadbutrue & welcome,
With WWPosture the organs are forward in the relaxed lower belly with the vagina as a closed airless space. From what you have written you had a hysterectomy and repairs? If the vagina has been left long enough, you can achieve the closed airless space.
Urinating as you do is fine as the entrance to the bladder when it falls back is more upward at the front - Christine recommends emptying the bladder at least once a day either on all fours or in the shower - if you feel that your bladder is emptying completely with your method that is fine - this complete emptying at least once a day helps with comfort and prevents residual urine causing urinary tract infections.
You need to wear comfortable shoes with thick socks for walking or cushioned shoes to support your post/hyst skeleton.
Our bodies as babies develop the foot arch, the acetabular roof of the hip and lumbar curve together, and these deteriorate together with our modern age and lifestyle and exercise styles. Knee pain is often related to that. I had started to experience it without marathon running, though I understand that yours is much worse, and am so sorry for your pain.
Christine's exercises can be done in a chair, many lying down and standing. Take it slowly and consult Christine with your questions relating to your knees and post/ hyst as they are specific to you and her expertise is best. I've given a couple of hints that I have learned from her on the forum and her videos.

So many people including me fell for the suck and tuck - I had wanted to be a weight lifter also and do just a little carefully now, so don't be hard on yourself. if I had not found Christine's work I could have also been disabled by now due to hip problems, which this work has healed!
Best wishes,
Aussie Soul Sister

Hi sadbutrue - nothing to add to Soul Sis' wise words, but just wanted to welcome you. Post-hyst and post-repair you do need to be cautious and do the work slowly and mindfully. Surgeries have a limited life, the repeat surgeries are less and less successful because there is less and less to work with each time. If you can assume and hold the WW posture comfortably, I would suggest lots of mindful posture walking (with cushiony sox and shoes as Soul Sis says). Take things slowly! Good luck and keep us posted. - Surviving

Thank you for your responses! I discovered emptying bladder on all fours in tub on my own when trying to learn how to void after bladder suspension. I believe I am emptying bladder completely since no bladder infections occurring. My knees are so damaged walking distances for health is impossible, so I bicycle. I could stand to lose some weight (app 20lb) and am actively involved in getting the excess off of me for knees and pelvic issues. What is with the air bubbles and where is it coming from? Also which video might you recommend first?
~SBT

Sorry, I forgot about the bad knees. I am surprised that biking feels better than walking, though. Is this the case even when cushiony socks and shoes are worn?

The air bubble is probably because the hysterectomy and repairs have left you without enough vaginal length for the front and back walls to flatten and close against intraabdominal pressure.

You do need to be careful and gentle with the WW work, but it is important to try and move the bladder forward, and the vaginal vault to hopefully prevent a much more serious type of prolapse.

If you are shopping for a DVD, I'd start with First Aid for Prolapse because of the wealth of background information it contains. And there is plenty of floor work; the standing portions can be modified to be done sitting to some extent. You do need to avoid firebreathing and possibly the pelvic rocks as well......because you have various sutures. That being said, Yoga 1 and 2 would have great moves for you.

The main things are posture and breathing. You are basically doing the work all of your waking hours! - Surviving