Children and natural positioning for toileting

Body: 

I just thought it interesting to share what I've discovered about our Western way of toileting through my daughter.

I have just gone through the toilet training stage with my daughter and as it's summer in Australia she's been running around on the beach a lot. Whenever she pees or poos not on the toilet I notice that she squats to go. When she was in the bath tonight she said a few times while she was sitting down that she had to pee but then didn't. Finally, she lifted herself forward a bit so she was up into a kind of kneeling squat and then was able to pee.

I just thought it shows how 'naturally' we adopt a squatting position to toilet. It demonstrates how true it is that sitting on a toilet seat is not a natural or easy position. I have also found that if she sits on her toilet seat to have a bm my daughter strains a bit more, or can't go straight away and then has to walk around and come back a few minutes later. It seems the same with peeing.

I have been putting two and two together with my son who is 3! Just yesterday I decided to give the squat a try and It was great! It was the first time I emptied all the way out in a long time! Give it a try! but dont push too hard!

Yes, I think squatting is definitely better and makes more sense after seeing my daughter 'in action.' I have been doing a bit of bladder emptying on all fours as Christine's suggested and I think that really helps too.