Proper Procedure for inserting Pessary

Body: 

I have a new pessary, donut shaped, following the doctor's instructions, fold it in half, insert so that it acts as a "shelf", but instead when I do it the pessary ends up sideways, instead of flat and disappears. I have to strain to bring it back down so I can retract it. Needless to say I have not used it since I left the doctor's office. It popped out that evening.

Help, any suggestions welcomed. I feel pretty stupid. I don't want to go back to the office for that.

I think that maybe you have the wrong size...it should never pop out. You will have to go back and be refitted. Marilu

Thank you for the response. I wondered about that too! When I talked to the doctor's office, I told the assistant that it had popped out that evening and in attempting to reinsert it turns sideways. She said that I had to insert it and adjust it once it was inserted! I think you would have to be a magician to do that. I'm thinking about trying the Sea Sponges. ANy thoughts. Have a Blessed evening

Jollie,

I tried sea sponges, but they were terribly scratchy and fell out asap. Today I tried something new because I've been draggy recently, and I knew I'd spend the day at school on my feet, so I tried a sports tampon. It worked great. I thought it would fall out, but it didn't. It stayed in all day. I didn't have any prolapse feeling today at all. I got a lot done and didn't even think about the pop.

Judy

Hi Judy

Interesting. What is the difference from a normal tampon and a sports tampon? How long did you wear it? And how hard was it to get it out? Did it stick to the inside of your vagina?

Cheers

Louise

Didn't even know such a thing existed ... interesting. Not sure if we can get them in the UK but will have a look. Is it shaped differently or something?

Anita

Louise and Anita,

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks. The prolapse is peeking and I'm on my feet a thousand hours a day. I thought I'd try one more time but was reluctant because an ordinary tampon is just too long - it falls out.

So I was in the isle at target and saw these sports tampons by playtex called sport. It comes in a pink box with a green runner and black lettering sport. I got the super. They are about 1.5 inches or a little shorter than your little finger. They come with a soft plastic applicator and plunger. They open like a flower and at max they are like a cross. The ad said they are supposed to fill the vault completely for maximum support at sport?!?!

I used one at 7:00 a.m. and left it in until about 5:00 p.m. when it began to become uncomfortable. I was cleaning and on my feet a lot of the time. It came out about the same as it went in - whole and not opened at all. It dropped out easily and no, it didn't stick to me at all.

It seemed to hold the bladder in place all day. I've tried another today and will give a full report later. I could poop wearing it and it didn't fall out.

The prolapse wasn't bothering me for a long time, and then suddenly it was driving me crazy - well you guys know.

So something new?

Judy

Are they called Playtex Sport?

If so you can get a free sample online if you live in the States....
You can get a free sample in Canada too but they've run out at the moment...

Mommynow,

Yes. They are not so expensive that one would have to wait for free samples. They cost $3.99 a box. I figure that's $2.00 per week if I continue to use them.

Today, it was good. I used one from 4:30 a.m. to now 4:35 and have no reason to remove it. I inserted it while I was laying down in the tub. I figured it was my best shot.

Today, I have no sense of prolapse. I worked from 6:00 - 1:30 today; went to the big grocery store and hauled a couple of hundred $$ worth of groceries; went to the small grocery store and am now at home. That's 10 hours on my feet. If nothing more, these couple of days have been really nice.

Judy

I just ordered 1 pair of Sea sponges before I checked the forum. Will let you know how I do with them. I am also going to purchase a pkg of the Sports Tampons. Thanks for the info.

I am a Rural Mail Carrier, 66 years "young" and have been battling the bulge for two years.

Looking forward to relief.

Have a blessed evening

... online and figured they were the Playtex ones. Unfortunately we do not have them in the UK so I will have to try the regular sort. The ones I used to use do not lengthen but swell widthways and not a great deal so I am hoping that will give the same sort of relief. My bladder is really playing me up again and my half drainpipe has turned into a full blown droopy cystocele and it literally feels like my bladder is trying to escape, a real heavy draggy feeling that makes me want to empty my bladder every 5 minutes, ICK!

Will let you know how I get on with the regular sort.

Anita

I wonder if anybody has tried two normal tampons side-by-side? The mind boggles!

Louise

It has just dawned on me that tampons should be changed frequently due to the risk of toxic shock syndrome. Anybody, including myself, that tries tampons to help alleviate symptoms should make sure it is changed at least every 4-6 hours. It does say every 4-8 on the box but that is when you are menstruating so I would put a fresh one in more frequently when using it outside of this time.

Just thinking of everyones safety. :o)

Dr Anita!!!

Having had TSS at 20 myself. Scary as hell - Deadly serious. But I got mine
from a new diaphragm. Still- be OH SO careful Ladies.
Zelda

Not to mention the toxicity of conventional tampons!

Natracare and Seventh Generation both offer organic tampons made with 100% certified organic cotton. One or both are available at Whole Foods. Google organic tampons - there's an article on Organic Consumers about them.

Grandma Joy

Judy:
Are you still using the sports tampons? If so, how are they working out for you? Do you have a uterine prolapse and still find that they stay in?

Thanks - Goldfinch

Goldfinch,

No, I tried them two days and found the first day it was glorious, but the second day I found blood on the tampon and my bladder had dropped below the tampon!

I stopped and haven't started again, but might again. Curiously, however, I found that the tampon desensitized me a little and the prolapse doesn't bother me as much as it once did.

I could feel the tampon, but not the prolapse, if that makes sense.

Ordinary tampons drop out, and they all drop out unless I put them in while I'm lying in the tub. Somehow that works and they stay.

No, they aren't hard to remove because they are short and oddly shaped.

Let me know if you try them and like them,

Judy

I also wanted to let you know that I've been trying your exercise suggestion, where you lie flat and stretch and tighten and kegal for about 5 minutes and then go to sleep. I think you said you were reading Christine's book the first night that you tried it. Well, it is remarkable. I don't know what's happening, but I feel so tight. Even today when I've been on my feet much more than normal, it hasn't bothered me. I've been doing the exercise in the morning before work, and then again at night. Thank you for sharing!!

Goldfinch