Yoga

Body: 

This is in response to Christine's excellent review of Yoga poses & modifications. Thank you! I am a Yoga teacher who works with women - prenatal and menopausal- the full range. I really found your suggestions valuable. A Yoga teacher to check out - who gets that the female body is different from the male body on whom asanas were originally developed - is Angela Farmer. Also, Don Stapleton at Kripalu and Nosara is good, not so much specifically about the female body, but his approach is organic and understanding that each body is unique. More women in Yoga are starting to understand about recreating the poses in a feminine way. Also, the real truth to any asana practice, is to work with breath, and to not go where there is pain or in the case of prolapse, discomfort - use intuition, and listen to your body, not a didactic teacher!

Ananda,

Some of us practice yoga. I do, and am constantly changing positions to make them more comfortable and more feminine. Because I'm old, my young teachers don't dare say anything,and I probably wouldn't listen much if they did - been doing this a long time. I try to stand in the back so I won't be a distraction.

I'd be very interested in how you've modified certain poses.

Judy

Judy, I'm 56, silver hair, wrinkles and all. When you attend a traditional Yoga class, you can modify poses by feeling free to move within the pose when there is holding - even move in and out of the pose or make small micro moves if you are trying to build stamina - especially mini cat/cow spine moves. Use pillows and blankets to support your body as needed - under your sit bones, knees. See Judith Lasater's book Relax & Renew for ideas. If the class is going through sun salutations, stay in down dog when you tire & do 1/2 salutations from there. Focus on breath & close your eyes -no need to look at the younger more athletic Yoginis or your monkey mind/inner critic will start with it's silly chatter! I am now applying Christine's suggetions for posture in standing & seated poses, e.g. mountain. Her advice is counter to many traditional Yoga instructions, but makes so much sense & Yoga asana practice was developed by men on male bodies. I began experimenting with this before finding this site, and now I am doing with much more intention and understanding - I definitely feel better. After the teacher instructs you to go into a pose, tune out what doesn't feel right and tune into your inner guru who knows what's best for you. Breathe! Om Shanti, Ananda

Hello Ananda,

Welcome. Thank you so much for posting and importantly for helping to develop a true women's yoga.

Many blessings,

Christine