First post-partum days

Body: 

Hi Ladies,
Well, only four weeks to go until my due date. Time has flown and it's getting very exciting now. My POP has been behaving itself and I find walking (although a bit shorter now) is the best help (with the V2 supporter.)

I was just wondering if any of you expert POP mums out there could let me know what you did for healing in the first few days and weeks post-partum? Did you just go with how you felt re: activity levels? I think I recall something about mainly concentrating on getting back into posture then moving into a bit of walking. How about nursing your bubs? What is a good position for you? And carrying them? I have a great sling that I'm going to use this time round - it takes the weight on the shoulders rather than the hips.

Hi Mumwithone

Your are at the boring/exciting bit now, where time stretches out. From the sounds of things you have started 'nesting' in your head, and are making plans.

I remember finding that a good way to carry newborns was on their tummy along my arm, held in close to my tummy, with his face over my forearm near my elbow, one arm hanging down on each side of my forearm and my hand between his legs, firmly holding him my the crotch. I could even carry the baby semi-vertical with my hand quite low, and hanging on to that wrist with the other hand. I used to find, and still find that carrying babies low is easier on my back and prolapses than carrying them higher.

Oooo! It's so exciting. Keep us posted. I am sure it will go well.

Louise

Hi Mumwithone,

Your questions address something of great significance, for I believe the time is nigh for an entire specialty of doula-type practitioners focusing on the needs of the postpartum woman. A specialty informed by natural medicine, massage, and the mechanics of the maternal spine. Of course birth is the great pinnacle, but I think comprehensive postpartum care could really establish women toward healthier outcomes.

At least I can share with you how I advised my daughter after the birth of my granddaughter who, at fifteen months old, is an integral member of the band (tee-hee)

The baby was born early in the morning after a very long labor and gentle water birth. Both retired to bed where they stayed all day and night. The next morning mother got up and I *think* (can’t remember exactly) took a shower. She walked a bit from room to room as she sorted through diapers and clothes (I think the baby’s outfits were changed about six times that day – lol)

What I stressed most during the first 36 hours was that when she was up on her feet to just gently pull herself into the posture – no big deal – and also use a half-squat for elimination. When she felt like sitting up we put lots of pillows behind her so she could start to sit over her pubic bone. She could sit cross-legged right away because she had no tears and little bleeding.

By the third day she was more active around the house (walking from room to room – I made sure she was fed for the first week) and also wanted to try sitting on the floor with pillows and sling supporting the baby while she nursed. Here she just started ever so gently sitting with the strength of her own spine and holding the posture for a few minutes here and there. It was probably the end of the third day that we walked a couple of blocks down the street and back. All this was alternated with lots of rest.

I can’t remember precisely, but it was probably the fourth day that she was folding laundry and taking a bit more interest in the house. By week’s end she was totally okay with my departure and I felt totally fine leaving her.

I will be thinking of you, Mumwithone, and sending lots of well-wishes your way.

Blessings,

Christine

Hi Christine

Thanks for sharing your story of caring for Nikelle after Nori's birth. It sounds very commonsense to me. I hope many women are able to head in this direction postpartum. It really is pioneering stuff. I doubt that any woman would get any support from existing postnatal facilities to do these things, but I cannot see why. Tears and sutures might be an issue for sitting, but I would think that there would be worse pressure on the torn or sutured perineum if the woman is lying in bed propped on pillows (the worst possible postpartum posture). So maybe Mums shouldn't do too much sitting in the first few days?

I hope you can develop the Christine/Nikelle experience into a full model for postpartum care and disseminate it through the community midwives' networks.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks Louise and Christine for your thoughts and ideas. I like the idea of carrying bub the way you described in those first few days Louise, I wouldn't have thought of that positioning but makes lots of sense.
Thanks Christine, the most I was told about the postpartum period last time was not to carry anything heavier than my bub, lie with my hips up a couple of times a day and kegel like mad! I have my hubby home for those first few weeks so I'll definitely take your advice on what you recommended for your daughter too in those first few days. Also, sitting on the floor with pillows to nurse sounds like a great way to get back into posture. I hope your daughter and granddaughter are doing well - 15 months flies by, it seems only yesterday you posted about her birth.
Thanks for the kind thoughts also, and I'll definitely keep everyone posted.

after all three of my births I did way too much too fast. The next time around here is my plan: I plan to have someone else (my mom-sister-husband-postpartum dula) care for my 3 bigger kiddos and I plan to have a 2 week period of rest. I will not do laundry or dishes or floors or bathrooms. I will not cook dinner. I will not exercise. I will just rest with my baby. Allow my body to heal a little. I will probably walk around the house in the posture a little each day. Then the following 4 weeks (or until the bleeding stops) I plan to continue to have total help with the household work but to slowly start walking everyday without my baby- maybe 10 minutes the first day and building up to an hour by the end of the six weeks- I will be holding my body in the WW posture and flaping my wings. I am one in shape mamma and I don't think for one second I couldn't birth my baby and cook dinner and do dishes and laundry that same day or even week (as I did my last 3 births) this time around though I refuse to do it to myself. I also plan to begin elbows and knees posture after the afterpains go away (and man were they ever bad after this last birth). IF I tear (and the likely hood is high - I did all the other times) I plan to keep my legs together for 6 weeks. You heard me right- I am going to let that sucker heal! I don't have much room to tear as the stitches from my last tear came out and I now have an unstitched tear that goes just to my rectum- so legs together it is for me and all bets are off for exercise-I will just sit in the WW posture as well as I can and lie down frequently.

as for breast feeding- well this will be baby #4 so I will just pass the breast to her (haha). but really- I will nurse lying down the first two weeks or so and then transition to sitting- but with pillows built up under her (we must have a girl) so I can maintain my lumbar curve.
I will wear supportive clothing- but not constrictive. I hate the flopie belly feeling.

I have now come to respect the postpartum period. so much healing is taking place in the uterus and the vagina- and many changes in hormones and breasts and family dynamics too. I have my whole life to work on the posture. I have the rest of my life to care for my home and my family- I am going to spend my postpartum period getting to know out precious new baby- quietly, with out the interruptions of chores and exercise.

I think that sounds great, Alemama – but then you have a lot of body-consciousness. I’ve been getting out in the community a bit talking to midwives and such and it’s amazing how many blank stares I get when I talk about the importance of slowly and gently returning to natural spinal shape. I get so frustrated that people don’t get this - but was talking to a nursing colleague who’s also a Feldenkrais instructor and she said that it took Moshe Feldenkrais 40 years to see his work fully integrated into the mainstream public. Yet…with the Web I think we have a chance of shortening that a bit…Can’t wait to hear that you’re expecting again!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - the more I hear what others are doing the more I can put my own plans in place and see what might work/not work so I really appreciate you sharing your views. When I first decided to go for bub number two I had similar plans to yours - I was going to go for total bed rest (or close to) for the first two weeks then gradually go for walks and then begin on household stuff. Hubby was going to have 8 weeks off so he could help out in that way but then he had to go in for an operation so that's been cut back to 4 weeks. I thought maybe I was being too extreme by thinking of resting for that long, so it's good to go back and rethink. It's hard to know what to do - especially in a society that's geared towards mums being up and about straight after delivery. At least everyone's thoughts seem to be about going easy on yourself - which seems logical with or without prolapse after the work of birthing a bub. Thanks again :)