Scared I have a prolapse

Body: 

I've only just joined because I gave birth to my second son one week ago and I'm now scared I might have a prolapse.

Obviously I don't know what a prolapse feels like, having never had one, but I'm really scared I have... there is such heaviness in the area and I thought I could feel something iykwim...

I would really love to hear from people what the symptoms of prolapse are and whether this is likely to be a major thing so newly postpartum, etc...

I also feel absolutely sick thinking I may have caused this. I was up and about very quickly after the birth and didn't really spend much time lying down. I also sat on a 'doughnut' due to stitches that were hurting. I feel so terribly worried I have caused this myself. What an awful thing to have to live with!

Anyway, I would really appreciate advice from people on list. Also any suggestions of things I might do to help minimise the damage... Needless to say I'm feeling very stressed about this.

Thank you for your help in anticipation!
Philippa

Hi Pip

It must be panicsville in your head right now. Well you can stop panicking, because many new Mums find at one week postpartum that they are saggy in the vulval area and there seem to be lumps and bumps that shouldn't be there. You may have prolapsed pelvic organs. It is not the end of the world. Remember that the birth only happened a week ago, and it is a big ask to get all those stretched bits (from the pregnancy) back to their normal shape. Give your body at least a year before you decide that it is going to be an ongoing permanent prolapse. Mostly Mums find that it is at least that long until they decide that the body is not going to have further recovery. You will probably find that the first couple of months are pretty saggy, but by three months you should be seeing some improvement. It may even get worse before it gets better, but ultimately getting better than now is almost guaranteed. Lots of Mums will post and tell you this. I will eat my cyberhat if they don't!

You can do lots of things in the meantime to help your body along.

1 Don't continually check your vulva. It won't change much from day to day, and may be quite variable both during the day and between days. It is just upsetting to see it all the time.

2 Go to the homepage, www.wholewoman.com, and check out the FAQ's, which will tell you the basics of what you will be learning about Wholewoman posture that will be the most important part of living with pelvic organs that have moved.

3 Check out the other FAQ's re diet, not straining, lifestyle, clothing etc

4 Be prepared to make some adjustments in your head about how you think your body 'should' look. Make friends with your lower belly. It is now the safest little spot to keep your organs, *not* over your pelvic floor. You need this little pozzy for them, so don't hold your lower tummy in or they will get pushed back over a big hole (your vagina) that has only sinewy muscles to stop their descent. This may not make much sense at the moment, but it will as you learn to carry your body differently, and keep your organs well inside your vagina.

5 I hope you have finished with that ring cushion. I have a sneaky suspicion that the hole in the middle just makes a deep ditch for your organs to sit in when you sit down, lower than your vulva. My prolapsed organs stay inside me until I sit on one of those darned things. Then I feel like the organs are being sucked down and out of me. It gives me the creeps. I don't think they are good for newly delivered mothers at all. Don't sit if it is not comfortable. Lie down and let the weight off your pelvic floor. Learn to feed lying down, so you can do it a lot during each day. You have just given birth, and your body needs to recover. When you sit, try and sit forward on your thighs, so your sit bones are not carrying much weight, and keep your shoulders relaxed and your lovely boobs carried high. If you want to feed sitting, put a pillow behind your lower back to keep your lumbar curve in place and baby on pillows on your knees to get him/her in a good position for attachment. This will keep your organs forward. Forget about leaning back on the back of chairs. It is too easy to lean back, then your pelvis will tilt back, your tummy will go in, and your organs will slide down and back towards the abyss.

That's probably enough from me.

Come back when you have had a look at the homepage FAQ's, with more questions, and just keep loving that little babe, and get horizontal as much as you can for a while.

Cheers

Louise

Hi there!

I am only just over 4 weeks pp, so I can totally appreciate where you are coming from!! I was so very upset I was almost paralyzed from doing anything the first few days. After spending a good deal of time reading different posts here and really working to wrap my head around the idea of patience and time, I am a whole lot calmer and more rational (at least as rational and calm as I can be with pp hormones!!!).

I just read Louise's post and the biggest one I would agree with is don't look all the time! (and truthfully I am still working on that!), but I have cut down from *every* time I go pee to mostly morning and night now and hopefully much much less in the very near future!

Things are totally stretched out...you don't even regain normal vaginal muscle tone until about 6 weeks pp let alone the 6 months to a year that most women on this site have found it takes for their bodies to heal!

I have also been working to wrap my head around the fact that my body is made to have babies and to recover from it. And how much better I am able to help it recover by incorporating WW ideas!

I don't remember if Louise mentioned don't lift heavy things!! I think that is what got me into trouble in the first place at 1 week pp.

Taking care of yourself and rejoicing in your new baby is most important right now. I have been so encouraged by the stories of new moms and their recoveries here. I really wish that it was an instantaneous "back together" after labour but I also appreciate the slowing down time that we need to take means we can sit and put that time into our little ones. (even with two other toddlers!)

~take care,
Kristy

Thank you for the reassurance.
I know I have a prolapse. I got the courage to feel and I can feel my cervix right there. It's not minor iykwim.
I'm soooo kicking myself over that darned ring cushion. A friend had been using one and I thought 'oh good idea!' but didn't have a clue how damaging they are. I suspect it has really contributed... oh if only I could go back in time.

Hmmm... anyway, I can't.
Thank you so much again for the reassurance. I have been struggling with shock, anger and such desperate sadness. But it is good to know that there is a life ahead for me. It kind of felt like I was the butt of a sadistic joke - given the trauma I had with my first son's delivery and this one going so beautifully... then realising I have a prolapse it felt like the earth had come crashing down for me.

Anyway, I'm sorry to ramble. It has been a big shock.

But I feel encouraged that things may improve gradually on their own with horizontal rest and the ww posture, which I'm trying to do already. Have to read up on the diet stuff still. Thank you for this forum. It is so good to know I'm not alone and I'm not a freak, which I was kind of feeling like for a while there (irrational I know!)

Philippa

Mama to DS#1 emergency c/sec and DS#2 waterbirthed at home

only have a few min here but
you are so not alone!

and forget about that magical '6 week' thing. it takes longer than that to get back to 'normal' after pg. took me close to a year. good news is that, as louise said, lots of times pp prolapse heals so much during the first year. keep that in mind.
and I'll sit with you on the irrational bench, I felt like quite the freak when I first found my prolapse too. much less freakish now that I realize how common it is.

and one more thing....DO NOT EVER STRAIN ON THE TOILET

and congrats on the new baby, try not to let this overshadow what should be time spent enjoying you little ones.

Please do not assume you have a prolapsed cervix! I made the same assumption, and it turned out to be a cystocele (fallen bladder). I felt like I was laying an egg all the time. Ugh...

I am now almost 5 months pp. Things have improved GREATLY (I can rarely see or feel that bulge, even when standing). However, I am still breastfeeding my baby, and the extreme depletion of estrogen contributes to that saggy feeling I still have. I have been assured that I have a lot of time to improve after I wean.

DO NOT ruin these precious days with these thoughts. Lay down as much as you can. Do not obsess. Chances are that 6 months from now, you'll feel much much better.

Congrats on your new baby!

Hey Pip

I hope I didn't think I was dumping on you re using the cushion. It *really was* only a personal opinion that they could further aggravate your postpartum pelvic organs. I didn't find it comfortable at all. I guess you only used it for a few days anyway, and what you do for the next few months is going to be way more significant than what you did in the first few days.

I think you understand the principles better now, and you will be able to look after your body much better.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks again everyone.
No worries about the ring cushion, Louise - I was beating myself up about it, but DH has convinced me to move on from that now! :)
With whether it is my cervix or another type of prolapse, I know for certain it is my cervix, not another kind of prolapse. I'm guessing that's probably bad but trying not to think too much about it right now. It's just so depressing at the moment and has really put a dampner on the post-hbac bliss. But as I say, best not to over-think things right now I'm guessing.

In terms of things to help improve right now, I've ordered the books from ww, but assuming they'll take a while. I'm trying to do the posture whenever I'm up and that helps as long as I'm moving. I can't stand still for more than a few seconds because it hurts too much.

Otherwise I'm basically lying down most of the time and doing pelvic floor exercises.

I really don't know what is best to do to try and help the natural recovery as much as possible, but I would really love any advice people can give me to add to what's on the ww website, to keep me going until the books arrive and to make the most of these early days in promoting some recovery.

Thank you!
Philippa

try the downward dog yoga position or hands and knees- this will help greatly. Hey see if you can find the ab isolation exercises- or ab vacuum I think it works best for low cervix-
Also I know is sounds funny but really if you do the walking with arm circles and flapping you will feel pretty good. It does get so much better!

hi Pip

I suggest that you buy the 2nd edition of Christine Kent's book, Saving the Wholewoman. You can buy it from the online shop at www.wholewoman.com.

The book has lots of really clear illustrations which will help you to understand your body better. With clearer understanding you will be able to forget all the rules about doing this, and not doing that, and begin to intuitively modify all your activites slightly to accommodate your POP. You will find that there is little you cannot do with POP, as long as you know the principles of pelvic organ positioning and work with what you have.

eg, I have been told by Christine that bellydancing is not good for POP. I have taken my WW posture into the class, explained to the teacher why my posture is different, and am working with that. The teacher is helping me to modify my positioning to allow me to do what I need to do. I may never be an elite performance level dancer, but that is not the aim for me. It is whole body exercise and awareness, physical movement, maintaining strength and flexibility in my pelvis and lower spine, and upper body. It is also about that wonderful rhythmic music! I am now doing my third series of classes. So far, so good.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks Louise

I ordered the books and dvd yesterday... but not sure how long they'll take to get here to the other side of the world! lol!
I'm just finding I really want to do more now... feeling like I can do something is what stops me getting down about it iykwim... but I'll just keep persevering with the posture, etc until the books get here and pray something will help. Thanks.

Sounds good to me, Pip. In my experience it doesn't take that long for parcels from Wholewoman. It all seems to be pretty well organised at their end. I'm in rural WA, so things would probably get to the eastern states sooner than here.

Cheers

Louise

Well I went to the GP yesterday and she said she couldn't see my cervix. I hadn't felt or looked for days because I was scared and couldn't deal with it... I had also been lying down and doing the posture when up and really religious about it. Things were feeling a lot better, but I really didn't expect the dr to not see anything! I was sooo shocked and pleased.

She said maybe it was because I felt it standing up - maybe it's only when standing - or maybe the rest improved it; or maybe I was just wrong. She said I might have a bit of a rectocele (?sp)... I think I do because the dragging and heaviness are still quite bad when I'm up too much and it hurts a lot to go to the toilet.

But I am so relieved!

With a rectocele, is it the same posture? Anything else I need to know? I'm pretty sure it's not really major but it would be nice if I could work to improve it.

Anyway, thank you very much for your advice at what was a very scary time. I really cannot believe I was wrong about this - I was absolutely 100% certain - but I'm so very glad to be wrong.

Thank you again,
Philippa