lower belly in posture: completely relaxed?

Body: 

The importance of maintaining a soft lower belly to allow our pelvic organs to settle forward is stressed as part of the WW posture, and I get that. It does have me wondering, though, if we are to go so far as letting abdominal tone go by the wayside altogether, leaving ab-strengthening to the guys?

Having been fit and relatively 'tight-abbed' prior to my prolapse's breaching, I still find myself, while not tightly 'holding in' my abs, subconsciously holding them firm to a degree, to the point where I have to make a point to allow my lower belly to totally relax.

So my question is, is there room for such middle ground, where as long as we hold our lower bellies forward from the pubic bones, we can/should still hold a bit firm?... or does it serve us better to let it all hang out for the sake of properly positioning our pelvic organs? FWIW, I'm presently 15-20 pounds overweight, mostly belly bound - which I am working on in hopes of relieving some of the competition of what settles where, among the other healthy benefits that come from taking care.

Oh, and if it isn't counterproductive to maintain abdominal-tone, can anyone recommend safe ab work?

Best wishes for a peace-filled day - Make it a great one.

~♥Blue

P.S. Thank you for your patience with these elementary questions, gals. ((HUGS))

Hi Blue

I think each of us has to find what works for us. Whole body exercise like dance, gardening, housework (try outdoor sweeping, rather than getting out the electric blower for a good ab workout) will exercise your abdominal muscles quite a bit, as long as you do use as many muscles as possible for each movement. This takes the strain off individual muscles and spreads the load, as well as spreading the benefit. This is how our bodies were designed to work.

I think there is some benefit in exercising particular muscles in a rehabilitation program, which is designed to build up a muscle that the body has switched off or under-exercised as a result of an injury or non-symmetrical movement patterns, but I don't believe that doing ab stengthening exercises all the time, just for the sake of having a firmer tummy, is good for the body. It is too easy to build them up so they do the work of other muscles. Then the other muscles get weak. This is partly how I think women get into prolapsed organs in the first place.

I still have to actively relax my lower belly when my organs are feeling low, and it always works to ease any pressure I might be feeling. The rest of the time my abs work normally, and I don't seem to have the problem. I think sometimes they subconsciously still try to tuck my tummy in, after doing it for a zillion years. Their re-education goes on. I also think there is a difference between having toned ab muscles and holding your tummy in. I think this is what Christine refers to as 'holding proudly and slightly rounded'.

Alemama and Granolamom, would you like to criticise what I have just said?

Cheers

Louise

and you will find that you are doing an ab work out all day long(in the posture). It takes great abdominal strength to breathe deeply. Try to focus your breath on your lower abdomen as you inhale- and pull your chest up strong- you should feel a taunt feeling there. As you exhale you will feel a tightening of the oblique muscles (sides of tummy).
If you want to specifically target the abs (and you are not practicing Nauli) try the plank. Get on elbows and toes- tummy, legs, hips on the floor and then lift the entire body (no bums in the air allowed) except the toes and elbows and forearms and hands.

Here is one more I like- hands above head shoulders by ears- step forward on one foot- maintain a straight line with your whole body as you tetter-totter forward and lift one leg behind you (your body will look like a T).
then do it with something heavy in your hands.

Louise I agree with you totally that the best strength is full body strength.

no criticism from me, louise
I very much agree with you
can only add that in the ww posture the abdominal muscles are elongated (as opposed to when you tuck your bum and they are in a somewhat shortened position) and by virtue of being elongated they are taut.

it can be confusing, because typically we think of muscles contracting and getting smaller when they are active, but really a muscle can function when its elongating too (bicep curl is an example of a muscle working while it gets shorter, but controlling the 'straightening out' phase of the curl is an example of the same muscle working as it elongates).
and often, a muscle that is elongated or stretched out becomes lax, but in this case, the abdominals are still very active in their elongated state because we are not 'hanging on ligaments' to maintain upright posture. but like you said, louise, its many groups of muscles working together. personally I feel most of the action in my obliques.

so my very verbose and round about post comes down to this:
holding proudly = elongated but active muscles
slightly rounded = belly allowed to take up space
doesn't feel like a jelly belly at all

Thank you, Louise, Alemama and Gmom.
'Holding proudly and slightly rounded', Louise -Got it. I do remember, reading about that description in Christine's directions, now that you mention it... and that's pretty much what I've been doing, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the mark. Also, for some reason, I didn't consider the work our abs get when we use our entire bodies, but of course, that does makes sense! Thank you.

I took a moment to study my breathing in posture, and can feel just what you've detailed, Alemama. I've also copied the ab exercise you shared; thank you. I guess it's not imperative that I spot train that area, but it's good to know that there are safe exercises should I ever be moved to. I am currently working on regaining some of the muscle mass that I lost (and weight I gained) since my prolapse worsened and stalled me out for some time, hoping to boost my metabolism and just plain feel better - I'm on my way.

Thank you for adding this other perspective, Gmom: 'elongated active muscles'. It helps wrap thing up for me. I wasn't thinking beyond their contraction, despite the curl work I used to do.

Thank you for your guidance, gals. I appreciate more than I can say. ((HUGS)).

~♥Blue (a work in progress)

No question we should have strong abs, Blue...and Alemama gives a very good description of wwabs. Because the lower belly is relaxed and the upper belly and chest held high, there is great expansion with every breath. And with every passive exhalation the abs are exercised...the bigger the inspiration, the more the muscles are exercised on the out-breath. What a deal, huh? My upper belly just below breast-line is very taut - Alemama's, too, it sounds like.

Because of the kind of exercise I do on a regular basis, my deep abdominals are very long and strong. Interestingly, the lower belly consists of more fascia than muscle because the obliques attach from ribs to hipbones, with a heavy layer of connective tissue in the middle. As far as suggestions of what sort of exercise is best...the wwworkout and firebreathing, of course! :)

Of course! - !Firebreathing! = : ) I really need to make a point of making your FB-exercise a better part of my routine, Christine. I've been working on the first part of the wwworkout (barre exercises) a couple times of week, so far, along with my daily walking and some biking.

I haven't lost all my ab-tone, but with this excess weight that I'm working on getting rid of, one would be hard pressed to find it, that's for sure!

Regarding breathing and it's benefits...The times I find myself slipping out of wwposture, it seems to start with my letting my chest fall, which in turn, seems to throw everything else off, as well as lend to more shallow breathing; so I'm working on being more conscious of that point of the posture and maintaining it.

I hope you wonderful women know how much I appreciate the time you take in sharing your wisdom and tried and true experiences. It may not seem like it, what with all these questions and all, but I do feel like I'm gaining ground day by day; so thank you Christine - Thank you all! ((HUGS))

Moving, breathing, being good...

~♥Blue

Pretty, well-fitted bras and tops with lower necklines, and necklaces and pretty scarves help me to attend to my chest area too. I think it's to do with decorating your assets. ;-) For me my breasts are really important because of the amount of time I used them to feed our babies, then toddlers, the best possible food for so much time, and this was responsible for keeping me well-rested while I had babies. DH loves them too!

It doesn't really matter if the boobs part is heading towards the waistline. It is really the structural framework underneath that matters. It's also got a lot to do with attitude as well. When I am feeling vulnerable or cold I am inclined to let me chest drop.

In addition, there is nothing like having a bad POP day to create a vicious circle of bad POP day > feelings of vulnerability > dropped chest > bad POP day etc ...

Cheers

Louise

I can sooo relate to your bad POP day!!! Sad..but, at least I am in good company!

Can't say Cheers to this..but thanks for being here for me and all the others who find such comfort in your thoughts and wisdom. You are a treasure Louise..but, I am sure you know that!

Warmest regards,

Mae