? about something that happened while firebreathing today...

Body: 

i just started the ww workout --which i didnt think really was going to work me out but i was sure wrong as i sit here sweating! :) anyway, right now when i was firebreathing and pulled my stomach up i felt like a vacuum suction through into my vagina. i actually pulled air up inside me. is that suppose to happen? i just started all this, so i want to make sure im ok. thank you, Denise

Hi Denise,

This concept follows from what I just explained to Lilly Anne. You need to read the book to understand it completely – something I can’t really re-write here. But I’ll try!

When we are standing in natural bipedal posture, our vagina is a closed, flattened, virtual space. Virtual because it is not a space, but has the capacity to become a space. The front vaginal wall is flattened down upon the back vaginal wall and if we are healthy (no prolapse) the more weight we give to this system (within bodily limits) the better, because the extra pressure just flattens the walls more.

We do not experience vaginal air when the spine is in this nutated position because the vaginal walls are tightly shut.

When we counternutate the spine by tucking the tailbone – as you do in firebreathing – the vagina becomes a more open space and can suck in (and spit out) air. This can happen in any number of positions – most notably standing on our head or in the shoulderstand of yoga.

When the abdominal muscles are pulled in, the tailbone tucked, and the pelvis counter nutated, the vaginal walls are less compressed. Creating a lot of intraabdominal pressure in this position is not recommended because the only the way the vagina can protect itself from such pressure is to tightly shut, which happens when the abdominal muscles are relaxed, the tailbone lifted, the pelvis nutated and the vaginal walls pressed closed.

Vaginal air is no big deal when we are creating a vacuum or in an inverted position, etc.

Christine

please forgive my ignorance. i just got your book a few days ago and its alot to understand. im still confused. do i want to create a vacuum while firebreathing? or is what happened a result of creating intraabdominal pressure? it wasnt pressure because air was being sucked in right? i think im just getting lost in some of the nutating and counternutating wording.ill see if i can find some answers in your book tonight. thanks for your help. Denise

...but have a second to answer. Yes...great vacuum on the outbreath.