bed rest during pregnancy?

Body: 

So its looking like I may end up on bedrest in the second trimester to try and avoid making my rectal prolapse worse. It also looks like I have an intussusception instead of mucosal lining prolapse (waaah). It kind of makes sense to me, seeing as being upright and having a heavy and growing uterus could weigh down my rectum, and all the relaxin will make everything even more lax. Anyone ever heard of this? Thoughts?
L

Hi L,

Well, I’m certainly not going to argue with your colorectal surgeon. However, I can offer a few questions for you to run by him. Maybe you could send them to him via email.

1. I’ve heard that the lower bowel is connected to the spine and it is these connections that have stretched and become less effective in cases of intussusception. However, is it also possible that rather than weak connections, the connections are actually so strong that great increases in intraabdominal pressure cause the bowel to turn inside out rather than compromise its support structures?

2. Would a lifetime of straining against toilet seats cause such a condition?

3. If the lower bowel is connected to the spine, does this mean the shape of the spine has anything to do with lower bowel function?

4. Is the pelvic floor really a horizontal, soft-tissue “hammock” that hangs down at the bottom of the torso? Does a growing fetus actually weigh down the maternal rectum?

5. I’ve heard we don’t have a pelvic “floor”, but rather a wall of muscle at the back of the pelvis – just like in four-footed animals. And because the abdominal wall is perpendicular to the “hole”, or pelvic outlet, prolapsed organs have actually fallen back, not “down”.

6. It’s said that when we relax our lower belly while holding the spine with its natural curvatures, the pelvic organs – which include the sigmoid colon – are actually held in the rounded hollow right behind the lower abdominal wall.

7. Wouldn’t advanced pregnancy only increase this natural belly-out, perpendicular anatomy?

8. If all the above points are true, how is bed rest going to strengthen my natural pelvic organ support system, which took hundreds of thousands of years to evolve and is ultimately stable from an evolutionary point of view?

9. What exactly is the timing of relaxin release? Do the support structures of the rectum and bowel have receptors for this hormone? If yes, could you (1) point me to research regarding this, and (2) tell me what possible evolutionary advantage there would be of such physiology?

We can’t wait to hear of any answers you *might* receive.

Christine

Excellent! This is great information! I am definitely bringing this up. And good point about the relaxin. Duh. That never occurred to me.
:-)

so sorry you may end up in bed! I don't know how women make it through pg on bedrest.

another question to add to christine's list, if I may

inactivity often leads to constipation. wouldn't this aggravate a rectal prolapse?

I *really* hope you dont' have to resort to bedrest. hugs to you!