I need support/encouragement/feedback!

Body: 

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and I am not sure if I'll be able to figure all of this technology out, but I am willing to give it a try!

I am 28 years old and the mother of two young girls. Almost 2 years ago I was "diagnosed" with a second degree uterine prolapse during the pregnancy of my youngest child. I literally had my cervix protruding out of my vagina when I discovered the prolapse! Needless to say, I was terrified of losing the baby, losing my life, etc. (My pregnancy hormones were making me very emotional at the time;-)) My doctor reassured me that after a few more weeks my uterus would rest on the pubic bone and that the prolapse would not cause me any real problems for the rest of the pregancy. Everything was as she said. . . although the birth was unpredictable and very long. (Both of my vaginal, obstetrical-induced deliveries were very long and hard. Now I would try a midwife for sure, esp. after reading Jane's(?)/fullofgrace postings about her birth of her boy. . . .)

My prolapse returned soon after and I am still dealing with the day to day effects of having a severe uterine prolapse. I have recently purchased Christine's book and look forward to getting a copy of the video as soon as I can afford it. My doctor fitted me for a pessary last week and I tried wearing it for a day or two, but it isn't working out for me. My mother had a radical hysterectomy 8 years ago and she is encouraging me to "just have it removed" and go on with my life. I WILL NOT RESORT TO SURGERY! I need to know that this isn't the end of a healthy, vibrant life! I am willing to take better care of myself and do anything that I can naturally do to help my body heal itself!

I have a few questions that I am hoping that someone can help me with:

1. I have a retroverted uterus which tips toward the back of my body rather than the front. Based on what I've read regarding the postures and exercises, do I need to change anything?

2. I had a D&C between both pregnancies to remove a retained miscarriage. I went under anesthesia and noticed the beginnings of my prolapse soon afterwards. Can anyone else relate? Can a D&C weaken the pelvic floor?

3. I also have extremely flat feet and have been reading about how much that affects our body alignment. Is there anything I can do about this?

I am hoping that my message isn't too long, but I am excited and grateful that Christine has provided this community and information for us and that I have found all of you. Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks,
Gina

Gina,
I just want to support you in not resorting to surgery. When I discovered I had universal prolapse--all 3 organs--I began searching for answers to prolapse and all the info I found on surgery was largely that it was a temporary solution and more often than not a dismal failure (surprisingly, those who were the most admant about having surgery, were those who had had it many times!).

When I found out I was pregnant with #3, I was scared that my prolapse would worsen (I was never worried that it would affect the pregnancy, as all I had read basically said prolapse was not a complication for pregnancy). Then I found Christine. I have to say that my prolapse improved greatly during pregnancy and now as I am 3 weeks postpartum, I am back to my prepregnancy prolapse-- which is weird-- so I'm learning to deal with it again.

I do not know about the effect of flat feet on prolapse, but I have these inserts for my shoes called orthodics that make my feet feel great. Possibly a podiatris (sp?) could be of help there. I think that Christine mentions that in her video-- I just got it today and watched with a 4 year old bouncing up and down, talking non-stop, so I didn't get to pay as close attention as I wanted. :)

I don't know anything about D&C's. Perhaps you should read about how D&C are performed. A lady on another list I am on described what is done to the cervix and beleived that the stretching of her cervix is what set her up for prolapse. I beleive that my c/section with my first birth set me up for prolapse after I read my surgical report to discover that my bladder was peeled back off of my uterus and that my uterus was then removed from my body to be examined.

Anyway, the uterus is not a throw away organ. It is intrigal to our feminimity and our anatomy. Keep it if it is not a threat to your life. I'm glad you've found this group. If nothing else, it gives hope that it is possible to live with prolapse and to live actively.

Hi, Gina, and welcome to the forum! Like you, when I first noticed my prolapse, I was scared to death and full of questions. Actually it's only been a month or so and I am still full of questions, but no longer scared at all! Christine's information is so wonderful and right on. I feel like I've been given a new lease on life!

As far as your questions:

I have a retroverted uterus as well. I think, and Christine can clarify this for sure, that the uterus always tilts back first and then begins its descent downward. So this is just part of it.

I really don't know specifically about a D&C, but my guess is anything that messes around with the cervix and uterus can have an effect on it (usually negative).

I have arch problems as well. My arches are very weak and flat, my left one more than my right one as I put most of my weight on that leg (I have a bad right knee). A podiatrist can help diagnose specific disorders of the feet. But one word of caution: I was fitted for orthotics and I could not tolerate them because they threw off my entire alignment and caused me immense back pain! But I am probably the exception. I have a lot of musculoskeletal problems. Many people wear orthotics and love them, as Jane posted above that she does!

Anyway, hang around and start doing the posture and movement. It really DOES work!!

Julie

Wow! Thanks to both of you for reading and getting back to me so quickly! I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel because of all of the information that I am learning from this site and because of the support from you wonderful people. Knowledge is empowerment and it's so crucial. Thanks again!

Gina