Raising HGH levels

Body: 

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I recently got an elliptical machine because both of us want to get back in shape, and we live in a climate that doesn't allow getting outside for a large portion of the year. I have used it for a week, and the benefit to my prolapses has been wonderful. Before this I guess you could say I was moderately active, but never did much that would cause me to break a sweat. I was really feeling like I needed to be working HARD in some physical way, without hurting my prolapses. Well, this machine makes me sweat... a lot! It is also very easy to stay in the posture while working out due the the adjustability of the incline and pedals. I was doing some research on exercise and came across some interesting information on the production of HGH (human growth hormone) and its link to exercise. It seem that HGH keep you young (helps with rebuilding tissue and bone), and it is increased by anaerobic exercise. Anyway, here's a link to the article: http://www.longevity.ca/info_what_is2.htm

Hi Weefaith,

I’m glad to hear you’re receiving benefit from your e-machine and thanks for the link to the HGH article. Low physical fitness and increased fat mass contribute to decreased secretion of growth hormone, and low GH leads to more fat, lethargy and aging! Keep up the good work and stay in the posture while you’re at it!

:) Christine

Hi Weefaith

Was it a typo? I think the article said aerobic, rather than anaerobic, exercise.

The point is the same either way. It makes great sense to me that HGH levels would raise with exercise. Otherwise how would the body increase its ability to regenerate and repair tissues after heavy exercise. If there was no mechanism the body would just keep producing new cells at the old rate and repair and regeneration would not happen quickly enough.

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,

Glad to hear you're safe. You are suffering incredible heat, and we are freezing and buried in snow! Somewhere there is a happy medium... :)

In my post i did mean to say anaerobic. In researching exercise and HGH, it turns out that anaerobic is much better at boosting HGH levels. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0675/is_6_20/ai_94981921/pg_2

This would include any form of interval training where you are doing short bursts (2 min) of very intense activity, followed by longer periods of moderate activity. You can incorporate interval training into many different exercise routines. I, however, am not doing any interval training today. I'm thinking of calling the chiropractor due to a lot of back pain from shoveling! :( Bad, I know.

Stay cool,
Jana

Hi Jana

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know about interval training. Just quietly, I am the Queen of shovelling. Been out there this morning putting a bit of topdressing sand on some lawn, the same sand in fact that I dug out down the corner of the garden yesterday morning so I could replace it with some pavers. The trick with shovelling is to use the thigh muscles. Bum out, coccyx up, belly between the thighs, feet flat and widely spaced, and knees as bent as you can get them without lifting the heels. Straighten the thighs to get vertical lift, then straigthen the back, *then* twist to dump the shovelful. It is actually a form of plie with loading.

Maybe I was an ant in a previous life? Wouldn't it be great if we could train ants to move soil (or snow) from one place to another? Line em all up late one afternoon and give them a briefing, then leave them to it overnight, or for a week or so and voila soil moved! No, on second thoughts I don't think it would work with snow. Is snow heavy? I have never seen enough of it to find out.

Cheers

Louise