New and need some quick advice

Body: 

Okay, I know I can search the forums and probably come up with the answers I'm looking for. But there's only so much time in my day. I have three under four and I'm moving to a whole foods diet which takes a TON of time. The bread is sponging and the soup pot is begging for attention...the diapers need to move to the dryer so he has something to wear in the next couple of hours...you know how it goes. So I'll try to make this short and quick...and hopefully everyone will have a little sympathy for an overworked and very tired mommy. Baby number 3 was born a year ago yesterday. About 3 wks pp I noticed the bulge at the back of my vagina and freaked out a little. The nurse prac said that it would probably heal itself and to give it a few more months. Long story short, I had the surgery along with the bladder sling (something about stress incontinence), it was sort of a sidebar to the repair...or so I thought. I tried to back out of the bladder sling, but my concerns were summarily dismissed and I was assured that nothing would go wrong. First period was fine, but then I noticed things were sort of block up. I began to wonder if it wasn't my cervix. Then I found this website and was pretty sure it was my cervix just inside my vaginal opening. Then the second period and boy was that a mess! I've just finished yet another messy period (told you I was busy!) and now I'm really concerned. I'm working on the posture (right now just focused on the hips more than anything) and only figured out how it works today after seeing a diagram from other website. I guess I'm trying to get the top of the uterus to "plop" back over the bladder, right? Anyway, I'm also wondering if I can have the sling removed to correct the uterine prolapse or if I'm just done. Feeling a bit hopeless...and somewhat betrayed.

Hi Mrsfuller,

No doubt it is a betrayal when women are not given all the information they need to make an informed decision. Keep your eye on the sling because they tend to migrate and erode in young, sexually active women. Do you know whether mesh was used for your rectocele repair?

It is very difficult to have a “little bit” of vaginal surgery - sort of like being a “little bit” pregnant - albeit pregnant with possibility of future problems. Surgery on the back wall pulls the front wall toward the back (and with it comes cystocele and urinary incontinence); surgery on the front wall - including sub-urethral slings - pulls the back wall down and with it the uterus...and so it goes.

The human vagina is a highly evolved organism and its functionality is significantly undermined by these procedures. It is very difficult to suggest what to do next. I would say the posture is a must to begin to pull the fascial planes toward their natural alignments. However, if you have mesh inside it is anyone’s guess what and how much exercise, sex, etc., will aggravate your situation even more. I truly have no good answers in these situations. It would probably be pretty difficult to get your surgeon to remove a "healthy" sling. However, I would certainly insist that it be removed at the first sign of trouble.

We are beginning the Whole Woman Project soon, which will be much more heavily dedicated to advocacy and action. Keep in touch.

Wishing you well,

Christine

The rectocele was sort of a fold over repair. Apparently there had been quite an improvement since the first exam back in July, so it wasn't much more than folding over "extra" skin right at the back entrance to the vagina (left thigh to right thigh, I think). Yeah, I had been doing some serious praying in the meantime...we were also considering a tubal at the time too...fortunately we decided against that. So no mesh was used in the rectocele. I'm not sure if it's important to mention, but my first son's deliver was a mess, five hours of pushing, mostly on my back because the GP kept reclining my bed further each hour (and she was a woman). I ended up with a 4+ tear because of the suction that was required to get the poor little guy out. (cord around the neck, three times) That tear is basically where the wall failed on my 2nd son's delivery, third child. The girl hardly counts, 17 minutes from the front door with one and a half pushes and she slid out as the doctor slid on the gloves! Anyway, I digress, if I understand you correctly, that because the wall was pulled down both on the back side and the front side, that in turn "encourages" the top (uterus) to "pull down" as well, right? Makes sense. The sling I know is mesh, he talked about that at least...never mentioned that the uterus could prolapse. Well, thanks for making things a little clearer...hopefully he'll be a little more supportive of "correcting" things if that will even work. mrsfuller

I think it’s more likely that your front vaginal wall was pulled forward with the sling. When the front wall is pulled forward, the “back compartment” becomes vulnerable to collapse. New onset UP (if you have a uterus) or rectocele/enterocele (if you don’t) are the result. The uterine cervix shares its back wall with the intestinal “cul-de-sac” that is located just above the back vaginal wall. This is exactly how my UP manifested - although I did not have a mesh sling, but two sutures placed on either side of the neck of my bladder and anchored into the musculature of my lower abdominal wall. Your sling is positioned under your urethra and anchored into your abdominal wall by scar tissue. Even though they say “tension-free”, it is pulling anteriorly enough to kink your urethra and also pulling the front vaginal wall forward - these structures are intimately connected. Surgeons have been well aware of these dynamics for decades.

I guess it just goes to show you not everyone lives with integrity in every aspect of their lives. Even though this doctor was the best baby doctor I've had yet, he is still human. We can all be bought, it's just a matter of what price we can be bought at...or what we're willing to give away for a perceived need. Hopefully I can appeal to him with our common belief that our bodies were designed and not "accidents" of nature to help possibly change his perspective. One doctor at a time, right? mrsfuller

Hi Mrs Fuller

It is so sad that you were not told the full story by your doctor before you had this surgery, and that you didn't find us until afterwards. ((Hugs)). You are right. He is human and probably did what he did with the best of intentions for you. Unfortunately, in matters of surgery that is sometimes not enough, as you have found.

You seem to have a philosophical approach which will enable you to ride over these difficulties without knotting you up with resentment and anger, and prevent you from getting on with your new body as best you can. More power to you. I do hope you can get some benefit from what you can learn here.

I would really like national health insurance schemes all over the world to put a moratorium on these procedures and have a very thorough and objective look at the costs to taxpayers and members, compared to the real benefits and the real shortcomings of these procedures for the rest of a woman's life. In ya dreams, eh? There are no serious warnings out there in public health land about what can happen afterwards. Even the research into the long term effects of these procedures only goes to five year followups. How long does the average woman live after pelvic repairs??? Many, many years.

Unfortunately, doctors seem to think that doing something is better than doing nothing, even if doing something does irreversible change and damage for short term improvement. I used to think these doctors were supposed to be intelligent human beings. Now I assume nothing about them, and have them justify their opinions before accepting their advice. Sadly, it is a lesson that, each person has to learn for him/herself and it is a hard lesson to swallow after the event.

Best wishes

Louise