honeybees in danger

Body: 

Hi Everyone,

Rarely do I bring political issues to the forum, but this article about the demise of our pollinators is extremely disturbing and needs to be shared. In fact, I don’t know why it should be viewed as “political” at all when it’s about the very survival of most of the plant species we are are familiar with!

Check it out:

http://www.truthout.org/041209F

And let’s all see if we can forward the information on in hopes of turning this black tide around.

Thank you,

Christine

This certainly sounds outrageous, and something that all lovers of honey and living things should be concerned about.

However, before we all get our knickers in too much of a twist about it, cast your eyes over this web page. http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/rup/rupdec02.htm. It is pretty hard to read, but you can see how many registrations for the ethyl and methyl parathion have been cancelled since the 1980's. They are reasonably persistent chemicals, being organophosphates. The organophosphates are slowly being phased out because of this. Not sure about the developing world, eh? This is one of the worries I have about importing so many of our foods. Interestingly, there appears to be no more amendments of the parathion registrations since that 2002 report. Maybe this is why there is a resurgence of interest, now you guys in the USA have somebody sane at the top of the heap.

The trouble is that beekeepers are under a lot of pressure all round, and bees don't vote. Encapsulated, time release insecticides sure are a mean trick to pull on our honeymakers!

I guess the moral of the story is to take with a grain of salt anything that is espoused as fact on a community forum. I just re-read the Forum entry that Christine referred to, and I still cannot work out whether or not the writer is actually saying anything that can be affirmed by simple googling, or debunked. There are very few facts in it that can be checked out.

Maybe we should all be asking questions of our Environmental Protection Authorities in our own countries. After all, honeybees are the only animals that can make commercially viable honey.

Cheers

Louise

ps, re threatened survival of plant species, aren't there other insect pollinators in the USA? We have so many native insects that pollinate plants in Oz! Just sitting in the garden watching what visits flowers is just amazing. Honeybees are feral in Oz. Yes, we have lots of beekeepers and we produce lots of honey, but we humans have serious competition from feral honeybees just to get to our garden tap in summer, because the bees drink at the plant saucer under the tap, and suck the drips on the tap itself. The creekline near our house is thick with hollow trees, many of which which house feral hives. This is not so good for the wildlife that are denied nesting spots. Research in Perth has shown that clearing wild hives from hollow trees in one area of the Canning River in the metropolitan area greatly increased the number of endangered small, native mammals in the area.

Hi Louise,

Thank you for your thoughts and for posting that link. I gasped when I saw how many different brands of parathion used to be on the market! You’re right that the article was very unclear about the history of this chemical and whether any is in use at this time. In reading it again, it sounds like he’s talking about parathion in terms of past use - but he’s very explicit that its legacy can be traced to the demise of bee populations today. He also includes all pollinators in the picture. The problem with many of our beloved wild flowering plants is that they have a specific pollinator and no other will do. So when one is in trouble, its mate will also succumb. What no one can argue is that the bees are disappearing in droves. There are hundreds of articles such as these written by highly credentialed people and we can all get the same story from local beekeepers. I’m glad to hear your bee stories and can now understand why so many bees are being imported from Oz.

Cheers,

Christine