I am confused

Body: 

This is the first time I have used this forum so I hope I am using it correctly. Can someone help me without being horrendouly technical. I am concerned about the response to FAQ no 39 where the answer seems to sugget that if one has had a hysterectomy there is no point in doing the exercises on the DVD as this 'method' won't work. Not sure what the 'method' is exercies or aomething ele. There is also somewhere, can't remember where, to the effect that a hysterectomy takes away part of the inside supporting framework and this is why exercise achieves little. I hope I have misread and misundertood because I have now purchased the book and I would hate to think I have wasted my money. Due to the prevelance of uterine cancer in my family I had a total hyterectomy 6 years ago, I now have cystele and it this I want to improve as it is annoyingly uncomfortable and mentally I feel reluctant to do anything beyond walking as I am getting paranoid about it getting any worse. It is an early stage cystele. I have been doing the DVD exercises now for about two weeks and the posture and there seems to be a little improvement some days, on others it is uncomfortable and I am aware of the discomfort all the time. On another part of the web site there was a belt shown. Is this effective and wwould it be worth me getting one? Not ure whether this is a lot of quetion for Christine.
samsmum

Hi Samsmum,

I apologize for the confusion. I wrote the FAQs a long time ago and that reference is to a dvd that is no longer on the market.

We do not yet have data that the postural work will be of great benefit to post-hysterectomy women, but my belief is that it will.

My little granddaughter has arrived for the evening - I will write more about this tomorrow.

Christine

Hi again, Samsmum,

Opening up the postural work to the post-hysterectomy woman is a new path we’ve embarked upon. As you probably know by now, the uterus is the central hub and anchor of the pelvic interior. It provides primary support for the bladder and rectum, and because it is tethered in an ingenious way to the front of the body, keeps the vaginal walls pulled upright. For many years, my sense was that the post-hysterectomy pelvis was too unstable and unpredictable to safely work with. But at some point it dawned on me that they actually may need this work at least as much as we do. The post-hysterectomy bladder needs to be pushed toward its natural position over the pubic bones and the vagina needs to be held upright.

Post-hyst women no longer have the major muscle/ligamentous system pulling the pelvic interior forward and the urethra/vagina/rectum up. What they do have is the weight of their entire intestinal system, which is still connected to the top of their back vaginal wall. If we teach these women how to balance their intestines comfortably and naturally forward, might this be the ONLY reasonable way to avoid vaginal vault prolapse as well as severe cystocele/rectocele? If we also teach them to apply mild compression to the joints in between their spine and pelvis, might the classic post-hysterectomy body shape be somewhat prevented?

There are some problems however. First of all, it is my belief (and the experience of surgeons) that the female pelvic interior is much more alike from woman to woman than different. However, there are many different ways to do a hysterectomy and the post-surgical pelvis can be radically changed from normal in any number of ways. For instance, might encouraging natural sacral movement and spinal shape have a detrimental effect on sacralcolpopexy (where the top of the vagina is tethered to the spine)? Might it cause even more pain to the woman who has had one side of her vagina secured to the sacrospinous ligament (the vagina is not long enough to reach the ssl on both sides)? Might trying to gently correct spinal shape in the woman who had her uterus removed years ago create undue pain and is it even possible? We do not have answers to these questions.

I think the sacrocolpopexy has proven that (1) surgeons can create a pelvic interior that is fairly resistant to intraabdominal pressure, and (2) the reconstructed pelvis has only a small fraction of the ability to withstand internal pressures that normal female anatomy has.

So for now, we are recommending that women learn the Whole Woman Posture and use a pelvic compression belt for support - certainly while exercising. The belt we carry fits the WW model of pelvic organ support better than any other I have found. The exercise routine in FAFP is very rigorous and I think only the beginning program is suitable for the post-surgery woman.

Please don’t hesitate to ask more questions, Samsmum, and also to let us know of your progress.

Wishing you well!

Christine

Christine, many thanks for your reply. It is good to have a response from someone with experience and reading some of the other blogs has helped me. Thank you for your advice I will keep doing the exercises and buy the belt. I wondered if this might be a good move as, surprisingly to me at the time but not any more,when I wear jeans which act as an undersling the feeling of discomfort almost disappears.Summer time is not for wearing jeans so the belt could work. I need to be able to get past the feeling that I don't want to do aanything but sit and walk which is rubbish as I am aa very active person. I hope you hd a good time with your grandughter.

I have read through your reply again and wnt to thank you for the detilled info and say how much it has improved my understanding of the interior of my body. I have no idea what kind of surgery I had except that it was out with anything which could become a host to cancer of the womb. You said to do only the first stage exercises, would it also be o.k. to do the firebreathing exercise.

Hi Samsmum
In your position I would be asking the hospital and/or surgeon what procedures were performed. You could probably also get this information from your health insurer, or the invoice for the surgery, ie Item Numbers. This is so you do know what changes have been done to your body, so you can picture what is now your pelvic structure, in order to understand what the posture and any exercise will be doing. This includes, but is not limited to, WW exercises. It is really important for you to know what you are doing with your body at any time.

Hopefully you have recovered from the surgery and are now far enough away from it to feel comfortable about finding out the details, and understanding the changes, as you will be living in this body for the rest of your days.

Cheers

Louise

Good question. I tell the post-hysterectomy women I work in my studio with that the firebreathing might be very good for their pelvic interior IF it feels comfortable on their spine. It is really a wonderful way to work the lower spine, but many post-hysterectomy SIJs may be malpositioned. I do have reservation about nauli, however. I think it might be more risky to perform a sustained abdominal vacuum without the central hub of the pelvis. We don’t have enough information at this point, so use your best judgment.

Louise, many thanks for your response, I will ask my doctor for details of my op as they should be on my medical records. I actually live in the |U.K. and I had the op done six years ago on our free National Health Service. I wasn't given any description of precedure, or advice as to how to behave post op I was just so relieved to have had removed all that was involved in what we call'the silent killer, cancer of the uterus etc that I never thought to ask. There was a considerable amount of cancer of womb, stomach etc that I and a cousin had a gene test and it was recommended that we have the op. Would I rather this present situation than cancer. mmmmm. I am finding it mentally very distressing, but I guess I will get used to it and this web site has been brilliant so far. When I have found out what I look like inside I will be back here to tell you and see what you think. with many thanks for getting in touch