Another recruit intro

Body: 

Dear Whole Women,
I have been reading your posts for about a month now. I wanted to introduce myself but was not sure what details to include as my story is quite long. I got a POP after my son was born two years ago, most probably because of a coached birth where I was asked to push too early. I felt no need to do so at the moment and I had specified 'physiological push' in the birth plan but I wanted to see my baby ASAP so I listened to them instead of listening to my body. I pushed for an hour and only had minor tear. However, an hour after the birth my uterus and bladder were side by side and I started losing blood seriously. The doctors said my uterus was not contracting so they massaged my belly like crazy (which was a lot more painful than the labor and delivery without anesthesia!) and installed an IV for ocytocin. Bleeding stopped slowly and I recovered. I went back to the hospital 3 weeks pp because of endometritis and told the gynecologist that something was not 'aligned' like before but I couldn't explain what. She told me 'Madam, we're never like before, it's normal'. She did not mention POP although I know now that was I was seeing were my cervix and bladder. I went back to the hospital 6 weeks pp for the routine exam, said the same thing to another gynecologist and got exactly the same answer. When my period came 3 months pp and I couldn't keep a tampon in, I remembered the story of someone's grandmother who had a cystocele and got a pessary so I finally figured it out myself. I called my gynecologist to ask what I could do to replace my organs and she told me 'There is nothing to do, if it's annoying we can put a pessary and if it doesn't work we just remove the uterus.' I was 31 with only one kid (although we haven't used contraception for 7 years and yes we want more kids!). My cystocele (in fact urethrocystocele) is grade 2-3 and hysterocele was grade 2 but seems more like 1 now so I am preparing for the rectocele since it seems unavoidable :-(

The following two years I tried everything that I could think of: osteo, sex-yoga, acupuncture, physiotherapy, herbal medicine, homeopathy. I even called the hatha yoga center where I attended classes a few years back to see if they had any suggestion, they did not have any (I should call and tell them that nauli really helps!). I was searching the internet regularly (in French and English) and I finally found this lifesaving site with Christine's work. I wish I did much earlier, but I can tell for sure that nothing else I tried makes much sense compared to the anatomical truth that she uncovers so clearly in her book. I must admit the acupuncture helped me reduce my fibroid from 'orange' to 'apricot' and the physio helped me with POP heaviness symptoms and gaped vulva.

I started this WW posture a month ago (the minute I found this website!) and the workout 3 weeks ago when I received the DVD. I am practicing nauli but it doesn't look like youtube yet ;-) I am already seeing an improvement and I feel so much better about living the rest of my live with POP. I stopped babywearing when my son was 7 months old because it was worsening my POP. Now I know I would be able to carry other babies on my back without causing further damage: I can carry my 31 pounds on my shoulders with the proper posture and it feels great!

I want to thank all of you for your helpful posts. I don't feel alone anymore.

Hi ladybug

We are in the same situation,i descovered pop, mainly cystocele as a problem after my 1st child, he is nearly 4 mounts old.I also really want to have more kids, but at the moment my cystocele is to much trouble to even contemplating another pregnancy.
Sorry for the personal question,but i guess that is the nature of this site;do you consider haveing more kids?
Also did you see any improvement pp?

I went to my gyn yesterday and he said he was pretty confident things would improve to the state where it doesn t affect my quality of living.He said i should expect to return to a normal life within the next year and things will really improve with time.He said to give it at least another 0.5 year until he would see me again.He said its very unlikely that i would want surgery as i would improve so much on my own healing.I guess that is encouraging.

He also said to keep in mind surgery is improving and they are getting better at it so if i do need surgery later in life than prognosis isnt as bad as rumour has it.He also said they rearly operate people my age as pp pop improves alot as time goes by.They dont offer surgery in Norway unless neccesery as it doesnt pay of for the hospital to do expensive procedures and dr. get paid the same unrelated to how many the operate.i am a theatre nurse so i know how it works.For the same reason c-section is only granted for medical reasons.

About children,he wouldn t hasitate to recomend more kids even if it was he s own sister and and he would recomend vaginal delivery.

cheers

Trueblue, it sounds like your doctor said all of the right things. I hope you will continue to report the progress you have in healing over the next year. I think it is important for postpartum women coming here to hear from other women who have gotten better. I think so many end up healing just fine, but they disappear from the forum, so we never know. Thanks!

Dear Trueblue,
Congrats for the baby! We really are in the same boat. I can tell you things get better after some time, around 3-4 months pp was really the worse (when I found out). A little over two years have passed and I don't feel any symptoms most of the time :-) I was also told it would improve after I stop nursing but I didn't see any difference (I nursed for 18 months) exept for the fact that I was nursing in a rocking chair in a 'comfortable position' (not for the POP!) but everytime I got up I could really feel the bulge. I realize now that all these nursing hours in that position did not help.

We really want more children but for us it's like the lottery: we buy tickets every month and won the big lot once in 7 years! This children is truly a blessing!

Cheers

Hi Ladybug

I wouldn't go as far as to say that all those years in the rocking chair did not help. I don't think that the rocking chair would cause further damage as long as you are mainly lying right back. It is more the getting up repeatedly that causes the intraabdominal pressure that can aggravate POP. If you can figure out a way to get out of the rocking chair without blowing out your pelvic floor, maybe straddling it with baby held close in, before you rise, then getting your organs repositioned before moving off to do other jobs, I think it is probably OK. One of the challenges is to stand up while holding the baby, right?

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,
When I was breastfeeding I use to sit in that rocking chair for hours a day and I could feel the pop all the time, not only in the rocking chair! As you wrote, getting up was the difficult part when he was a baby, but now that he is 2 yo, when I want to get up from the chair with him, I first adopt the WW posture from the waist up and it makes all the difference. Now I don't even feel the POP most of the day: it has gotten a lot better. My POP is ready for the challenge of another pg, hoping we don't have to wait much longer!