Estrogen levels vs. time

Body: 

Just curious, do you ladies think the healing that occurs over the first year is due to increasing estrogen levels, time, or both?

I am no longer breastfeeding (for reasons completely unrelated to prolapse) and hoping there is still healing ahead even though my estrogen levels should be close to normal again (although I've not yet had a period). What has been your collective experience? Has it continued to get better after weaning?

Thanks, as always, for your wisdom.

Hi Mzimm

I didn't have a lot of periods between babies, and breastfed my last and third, baby until about 33 months, so I am not much use. However, the research I have done through Breastfeeding Association of Australia, who connected me with a lactation consultant who researched it for me, told me that there is no clinical association between weaning and prolapse symptoms improving, despite normalisation of oestrogen levels. Normalisation of oestrogen levels will only make the vagina lubricate better and be more comfortable. Lactation is your little postcard about menopause. Charming, eh? ;-)

I do think that the improvement goes went on for years in my case. I think recovery from pregnancy and birthing is related to the rate at which the body's fascial framework can 'ungrow' from a prolonged and gradual growth to accommodate the expanding uterus. Relaxin serum levels fall to below assayable levels by a few days postpartum (just found that out). I doubt that prolactin would have any effect, but that's just a guess.

People who lose weight rapidly often find that the fat disappears quicker than their skin can shrink back. It often takes a year or so for skin to catch up, if it ever does. That's another reason for losing weight slowly. Who wants to look like a sharpei dog?

Just be patient, and try and love your body as it is. I wouldn't mind guessing that you are the only one in the family who is worried about it.

Cheers

Louise