Squatting Position

Body: 

Hi all!

For the life of me, I am not able to squat with my feet fully flat on the floor, while doing the cool down exercises.

Well today, I went for a walk without wearing my glasses, to take advantage of the sunshine, and relax for a bit with my cat and my dog. Yes, they walk together with me. When I raised my self to a standing position, low and behold, I was able to squat with both feet flat firmly planted within the sand that in this case was firm. That felt great!

Just wonder, did the sand give me some sort of flexibility?

Methinks yes :)

Hi all,

Just got back from another walk, and tried the squatting position on a rock: success, again on the firm sand: success.

Why the difference? Both the rock and the sand are on an angle. The floor is horizontal, thus my not being able to put both feet flat on the floor.

Any tricks?

Thank you,

Oceanblue

first of all, I'm assuming that when you're squatting you're still keeping your pelvis in nutation (anteriorly rotated)? only because I find in a traditional full squat there's lots of pressure on my prolapses. but you'd notice probably.

anyway, by the sound of your description, my guess is that you have tight heelcords. you can stretch by practicing the squatting! or by standing on a low step (facing the step) with the back part of your feet off the step (hold on for balance!). get yourself in good posture and then slowly allow your heels to drop below the level of the step (and the rest of your body). you should feel a slight stretch behind your ankle (or in your knee if you're tight up there too). I wouldn't push to the point of pain, a gentle stretch that you hold for a bit is fine. then you can come up on your toes for a minute and repeat.

Me again,

Guess what?

Tried squatting on one of the steps to the upstairs: success,

Just tried it in the living room and wow: success!

End of discussion.

Thanks,

Oceanblue

Thank you Granolamom,

Since my last posting, I rode my bicycle down the lane to check something out, and I am back to square one, with my squatting.

Oh dear! I think you have a good point there, that I do most likely have tight heel cords.

I swear that I was more flexible this morning, than now.

Thank you for taking the time, to give me and most likely, others, some good advice.

Question: 'nutation' does that mean butt down? Guilty.

Am going to give it a rest for today, see what happens tomorrow.

Thank you once again Granolamom,

Oceanblue

I believe christine uses the term 'nutation' to describe the rotational position of the pelvis while in WW posture. I prefer the term 'anterior rotation' only because its what I'm familiar with.
in any case, its the 'butt out' rather than tucked.

I have a personal vendetta against the full squat with the bottom tucked because I birthed my third in that position and I believe its what broke the camels back so to speak, in terms of my prolapse. if I ever want to see how bad I can make my prolapses look, that's the position I'd choose. but squat with your bottom out behind you, and its a whole different story.

and not terribly surprising that you were more flexible in the morning. a day's worth of running around can bring on tightness.

I think there is more to it than tight heel cords, Gmom. I think there is a centre of gravity for me. I have always had belly fat, moreso now I am older. It simply gets in the way when I try to squat.

I think the male can squat much more easily with less bulk below the belt, both butt and belly, and greater upper body forward of the feet. We have a belly preventing us from getting a smaller upper body forwards far enough to balance, and a heavy butt pulling us backwards.

This tells me that women are not built for full-squatting. Probably men who are oberweight or obese would find it just as hard as we women do. I have

I can best squat with my knees wide apart adn feet turned outwards, so I can get my weighty belly forwards and maintain my lumbar curve, but I still cannot do any bracing for pulling up weeds or lifting in that position, or else my organs still try to escape.

I have a male friend who is built like a beanpole. He has no belly, no butt and great long arms that he puts forwards on his knees when in full squat. When I see him squatting I can see very clearly why I can't. It is so annoying! ;-( He just grins and tells me I am the wrong shape for squatting. Der!!!

Cheers

Louise

Dear Granolamom and Louise, and all others with an issue with squatting,

Could not resist, so I tried again last night on a firm floor: success!

Had a bath this a.m., dried my hair in squat position, (sure why not?) success! I did come up gracefully into ww position, to check the status of my hair from time to time.

Had a phone call later, and as there is work going on in my 'habitat' I went out onto the deck to 'yak', and gently went down into squat position: success!

All felt great, butt out, feet outwards, so I do believe that all is well that ends well. If given the opportunity, I will squat, simply because it does feel good for me :)

Hugs,

Oceanblue

well, if it feels good, then do it! happy its working for you now

louise, I know that difficulty with squatting can have many sources. oceanblue mentioned that it was no problem on an incline, but difficult on flat ground, which is why I thought it might be related to tight heelcords.

also, I'm not sure we're all defining 'squat' the same way. I did assume that it would entail knees and feet turned out, I spent a large part of my third pg in that sort of full-squat, belly and all.

but all's well that ends well, if oceanblue is happily squatting. personally, I hate to squat. it hurts my knees.