Has anyone had a c-section after prolapse?

Body: 

I have been contemplating maybe having one more baby. I have all prolapses, none are really that bad aside from the rectocele which causes more issues than I like. But, after my son's birth, it tore pretty bad and damaged my sphincter muscles and now I'm pretty sure I've got some rectal prolapse going on as well.

So, instead of hoping for no more tearing and to prevent more damage to my poor muscles, was thinking of a c-section. I just can't remember if anyone who already had the prolapse went with one or not on here.

Hi Mom30

I am surprised that nobody has responded to this one. I was under the impression that many elective cs ops are done if a woman has experienced previous problems with vaginal birth that have resulted in damage, and don't want it to worsen.

This should bring it back to the top for further attention.

Louise

Mom...just curious...what were the circumstances of your tearing? Did it happen spontaneously or was it the result of an episiotomy?

Episiotomy, and then it tore. Now, I have about a 1/4 inch of rectal prolapse from it but just during a bm. Plus, I have been having ongoing digestive issues. I've been without gluten for about 4 months, much better but, not all the way. I am just about ready to go off all dairy (again!), while being off the gluten this time. Hopefully, I will get some relief from the soft, sticky, undigested! It's getting very tiring, physically and mentally. Plus, it really does interfere with everyday life pretty bad.

I am all natural on just about everything, but since both of my babies were large, I just was hoping to save myself a little more down there. I feel like the digestive issues have aged me there by ten years or so!!!

Hi Candice,

Oh you poor dear...this is not an easy decision as we all know from other mommies in your situation.

From the beginning of WW, I have wanted our efforts to include a global movement to preserve the perineum of women everywhere. That is where so much of our trouble begins and almost all of it is totally unnecessary.

Here is a link to a personal account of fecal incontinence, perhaps the most debilitating and life-altering condition known to woman. It is not a condition known to man because the highly evolved anal sphincter system is extremely strong and withstands just about anything *except cutting/tearing!!!!* I thought this article was pretty dreadful in that "the trauma of childbirth" was pointed to as causative, when in actuality it is the *significant injury inflicted upon women by the standard practices of obstetrics* that leads to this level of trauma. I said so in a response, which the author chose not to post. The tone of my comment was typical Indignant Christine, but not indecent in any way. The system is brutally unjust in how they control information.

I think Alemama is a great pioneer in birthing with perineal tears. I can't really advise you one way or the other, but deeply believe that naturally positioned childbirth should not worsen your rectocele.

Regarding your intestinal trouble, I highly recommend algae oil on a daily basis - at least a tablespoon a day (I break it up morning and night). There is a long story about why this stuff is a miracle to humankind, which is the underlying story of my latest dvd project. I developed so many strange symptoms over the last very few years - with the decline of estradiol - and believe I could have been diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome just a few short weeks ago. It is all resolved and I feel great. I felt a definite difference when I switched from fish to algae oil, which is pure and unprocessed (good fish oil has to be highly processed to be rid of toxic metals and chemicals). It is the exact same DHA as in fish oil. The fish eat the algae, the big fish eat the little fish, and we consume the oil from the big, predatory and endangered fish's liver. Anyway, DHA is highly bioactive and the gut needs this stuff to function properly. We used to get plenty of Omega-3 from food, but those days have gone.

Take your time in considering your next birth plan and I really hope to hear in the next weeks and months that your long-standing intestinal difficulties have improved.

:) Christine

how is algae oil different than just taking algae powder? i've never heard of that--sounds fascinating!

Thanks for the response! Gosh, I feel really bad for that lady, that has to be just awful! But, I would realllly hate if that happened to me. Sorry to be selfish. I will definitely check out the algae oil. My mom has Sjogren's too. I really feel like so much of this stuff has to do with our diets. (she has prolapse too) The thing with my digestive stuff, is that from all of the hard to expell bowel movements (i.e. sticky soft stuck etc.), I have (what I think) is maybe part of my large intestine coming into the top of the vagina from straining. Whatever it is, I can feel it either when constipated, or right before I go. It is on the lower left side. If I reach up the vagina, I can feel it way up at the top next to the uterus.

DHA oils are extremely fragile and destroyed with heat, light, and oxygen. Dried form does no good. :)

Kiki...there is only one company in the US and Canada supplying all algae oil to distributors. I don't know about Europe, but someone is doing this there too, no doubt. A short internet search should reveal where you can find it. xC.

no, doesn't seem to be here... that's a big shame!
just out of curiousity, is it e capsule of oil or liquid?

to find a source of algae oil in the UK and nothing's come up. I'll keep searching, if anyone else knows please do let us know. Judith

I can't imagine Flora (link below) wouldn't ship worldwide. Don't know about tariff laws re: supplements though. And there's the issue that the bottled oil needs to be kept refrigerated.

Amazon carries these capsules that we've also used with great results.

That's brilliant, good news for us in the UK, Kiki, amazon.co.uk stock them. Judith

I would not elect to have major abdominal surgery. When you say rectal prolapse do you mean your rectum is prolapsing or do you mean a rectocele? I don't know much about a rectal prolapse.
The reality is that you have to consider all possible outcomes and you may tear again- and you may not. If I were of the type that didn't want to risk it- well I wouldn't get pregnant.
I will say have your perineum evaluated by a professional- (I'd go with a midwife) they can look at flexibility of tissue and amount of scar tissue.
Since your first tear was because of trauma you probably will not tear again with a gentle water birth type situation (unless the tissue is just really unhealthy).
For me, I would adopt another baby before I had an elective c-section.

Thanks Judith--that's brilliant!!!
Christine, how much DHA do you need a day? my fish oil supplies a ton, these much less, so not sure how much you need to really be taking from your research?
thanks!
Kiki

Hi Kiki,

I'm still working on this! I do know there are no pat scientific answers just yet. I'm taking two tablespoons a day, which I think is in the ballpark for a 150 lb woman.

Will keep you posted.

Christine