Constipation caused by lactose intolerance

Body: 

I've basically been constipated my whole life. No BM has ever been easy for me, even before I prolapsed. Lately, however, some other GI tract problems finally prompted me to try "no dairy", and after about 4 days my bowels are moving relatively easily.

Weird, huh?

Anyway there's been a study done in Italy that shows that chronic constipation in children can be the only sign of lactose intolerance, so this isn't my imagination.

Here's a link to the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9770556

And this is someone's plain language description of the study, which is what led me to the government website:

"But the classic symptoms of milk intolerance are diarrhea, spitting up, or abdominal pain. Many kids with milk intolerance also wheeze, especially when they get a cold. They can also have the dry, sensitive skin of eczema and their noses always seem to be running. Ear infections are also more common than in other kids. Constipation, however, has not been typically associated with milk intolerance -- until now.

The observation that constipation might sometimes be caused by milk intolerance has appeared in the medical literature from time to time, dating back as far as 1954 (Pediatric Clinics of North America, 1954; 4:940-962). But only recently has there been a well-designed study published showing that this is indeed the case. The results of this study, when widely known, can set many children free to enjoy the exuberance of childhood without pain.

Researchers at the University of Palermo in Italy worked with 65 children with chronic constipation. All of these children had been treated with laxatives when dietary measures had failed. Even with the medical treatment, these children were still constipated, having hard, painful stools only every 3 to 15 days. Forty-nine of the their little bottoms had fissures and redness or swelling from the hard plugs of stool.

Each child received either cow's milk or soymilk for 2 weeks, with no one knowing which was which. Next, they had a week during which they could eat and drink anything they wanted to wash out the effects of the first 2 weeks. Then they switched sides for 2 weeks and got the milk that they didn't get the first time. Careful recordings of the bowel habits were made.

When the secret code was broken at the end of the study, they found status quo constipation for each child while he or she was on cow's milk. But while they were taking soymilk (which causes firmer stools in most kids), 68% of these kids were no longer constipated! The redness, swelling, and fissures on their bottoms healed (New England Journal of Medicine, 1998; 339:1100-1104). How wonderful to finally have relief after diet and medicines hadn't worked for so long!

The results were most dramatic in kids who also had frequent runny noses, eczema, or wheezing. Nevertheless, sometimes constipation can be the only symptom of cow's milk intolerance.

This has broad implications. The children in this study were those with severe chronic constipation that was unresponsive to medications. I am convinced that they are only the tip of the iceberg. There must be a much larger group of mildly allergic children whose constipation improves with laxatives. Time may prove that it is better for these children to avoid the offending protein by switching milks rather than being treated with laxatives.

Presumably, swelling of the intestinal lining causes the constipation. Whatever the exact mechanism, the problem is likely with the protein in cow's milk, not with the fat or lactose (the sugar). Skim milk or lactose-free milk will not help with this one. "

I hope this helps somebody. It's such a relief just to sit on the toilet and things just take their course, rather than resort to all the other aids I've had to do for the past few years.

I am so glad you have found something that works for your body! it is such great news.
i believe that food intolerances are at the core of so many issues. dairy never used to bother me, now all i can have is plain live yogurt or the constipation sets in immediately. that tells me i walked a fine line with it before, that relied on everything being in line to not be effected...
i know so many people with intolerances (i have them, family does, friends....) and definately some react with constipation to all sorts of other foods. it makes so much sense. i think trying to cut out all sorts of things is a good place to start if our systems aren't working right...cut stuff out, and add in lots of the good and see where you get to ;-)
but, hurray! i hope you continue to feel the benefits ;-)

A more careful reading of the articles I posted points to a milk allergy rather than lactose intolerance. Both articles call it something like that, rather than specifically lactose intolerance.

I'll probably go see a doctor eventually, but even pancakes made with buttermilk this morning (which should be lactose free) set off some of the GI symptoms in me. So it might be an allergy to a milk protein that's causing my whole GI tract to have problems.

It's still weird that such a small thing would make the intestines so sluggish.

Midwest Star there is dairy in everything :)
look at ingredients for casein, whey, lactose, powered milk, etc...
I would suggest that while you are at it you may as well eliminate wheat- it is also a big allergen.

It's beginning to look like an array of food intolerances, rather than simple lactose intolerance. I had a completely dairy free meal last night that included common food allergy triggers like tomato, chocolate and peanut butter, and I was miserable all night. All the symptoms returned. :( Trial and error is an inefficient way to figure this out. I have an appointment at a Digestive Health clinic next week. They can order a food allergy test done.

In the meantime, I'm going to eat foods that are *not* common allergy triggers. I really liked having a pain free belly and no acid reflux last weekend, not to mention adequate gut motility for once!

Constipation is a common symptom of food intolerance, or so I've read, and cow's milk protein is the most common culprit.

Diarying everything you eat would be a good move. It is all information that is potentially useful. If you don't record it you don't have it.

Another exciting development: I just realized that this week I've been on no dairy, it's usually my PMS week. I usually have quite aggravated PMS symptoms, and they are virtually nil this time around. It is the day before my period is due to start, and usually by this time in addition to all the well publicized PMS symptoms--my cervix is usually hanging uncomfortably low. Much lower than 95% of the rest of the month. This time, however, it's not. And my boobs aren't sore.

All my PMS problems may be related to food intolerance, and thus controllable through diet! Wooo hooo! I realize celebrating may be premature, but the very thought makes me happy.

what an exciting discovery!