one step forward, two steps back -- is that how it goes?

Body: 

I have days where I forget about this whole situation and then days where things feel different -- bulgey, heavy, low. I've realized that the days that I am feeling the best are when my husband is not on shift (he's a fire fighter). When he is home he lifts our older son -- who is 30 pounds, but when he is working I do all of the lifting. I try to lift in posture and have him climb on things like some other women suggested, but how do I lift him without making my prolapses worse? I notice that on the day my husband works, by the afternoon things are lower and uncomfortable.

Also, at what point did you all start seeing healing that lasted -- i.e. it didn't change based on your activity?

Fortunately, mentally I am feeling MUCH better, which I think is equally important as the physical part. I guess I feel like when I can say I think I am getting better, things feel worse, and then better and then worse again.

Hi Mommato2boys

Your big boy is about 18 months now?

What sort of lifting are you talking about? Into stroller? Into car seat? Onto the toilet? Onto change table? Into high chair? Off the top of the television set? Into or out of his cot?

If you do need to lift him, holding him close to you will be best. He is probably almost up to piggy back stage, so you can squat/kneel, then hitch him on and stand up.

Or are you talking about lifting two babies at the same time?

I personally think the healing that lasts, lasts because the changes in the way you do things become automatic, so you don't 'challenge' the geometry very often. That means that the odd setback has a fast recovery that is not complicated by another overexertion before the last has recovered. I still have the odd time when I can feel my bladder right at the entrance to the vagina and could make it come further by bearing down. That's my reality check.

You are right at the hard bit at the moment, with hubby working shiftwork, a little baby, a big baby, and a postpartum body that is at its worst postpartum stage. You just need to be patient, and not even look at the tasks that you are unable to do. There will come a time.

I have been out shifting a garden tap yesterday, which involved lifting a lot of brick paving and replacing it, laying PVC pipe, shifting 2 very big rocks, shovelling soil, augering a 3 foot deep hole in loamy soil, and moving a 6 foot long, 6 inch diameter treated pine fence post up a slight hill 50 yards, around the verandah and erecting it in the hole, compacting the fill and attaching the pipe to the post. I did it the 'girls' way', using my brains to think the process out efficientely, rolling the post, taking breaks, kneeling a lot, and having cups of tea along the way. Then a 2 hour dance class last night. POP's aren't too bad today. Legs are a bit stiff. Ya gotta suffer for your art!

Life will get easier.

Louise

Cheers

Louise

I do the type of lifting that you described -- mainly in and out of high chair, crib, carseat etc. I do not lift the two babies at once, I don't even attempt that.

It is motivating to hear all that you did yesterday! Good on you!

its a rough one. especially when they and you are used to lifting. but sometimes you can work around it. can he learn to climb in/out of the high chair? maybe use a stool or your lap to stand on?
crib is a hard one, because I for one, do not want to teach my littles to climb out!
carseat is hard too, especially if you drive an SUV.
honestly, I just lift 'em in those situations, and hope for the best.

about when the results started to 'last', I don't know exactly. it was very gradual. I think Louise is right, I challenge the system less often without even paying attention. its just habit. but I also know that I can do more lifting in bad, or lets say, not POP-protective, posture without negative impact on the POP than I used to be able to do.

and Louise, you always amaze me with all your energy.

Well, I don't do that sort of workload every day. Yesterday was a pretty slow, recovery day. The point I wanted to make is that when you have little kids you do quite a bit of heavy lifting and heavy work anyway. You just have to learn now how to use your body in ways that support your POPped organs, and think your way around tasks that would otherwise strain your body. The follow through is that when your kids grow up you have learned the ways of moving, and can do almost anything you choose to do. POP doesn't have to make you semi-invalid in later life.

Cheers

Louise